6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 10:05 AM by Peter Spier

Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6

mummiepoep-2

Hello,

Did not use Indesign for 10 years ... and - when starting it up again with a newer version - I was surprised in an unpleasant way that it is still not possible to create footnotes inside tables in a normal way without creepy workarounds. And a lot of other wacky stuff which prooves to me that Adobe uses this programm as their ever-living milky-cow without much thoughts about making its stable a little more confortable. But enough about it and sorry for my interruption.

So I want to create an index in my book ...

3 questions please ... and thanks for your help!

1) Is there a maximum of entries for the index?

2) Is there a way to have a better oversight when having hundreds of entries? Now topics, sub-topics and pagenumbers take 3 lines of space in my index-panel. So one has to scroll a lot when having many entries. Is it possible to have topics, sub-topics and pagenumber(s) on ONE line?

3) I started my book with 2 unnumbered pages. But the index-numbering uses the page-numbering as found in the pages-panel. I can start a new section but then my footnumbering also starts again ... (I will not repeat my grudges here about this EVERLASTING problem).

Is there a solution without manually correct all pagenumbers after generating a new index?

Thanks again for your appreciated help!

Sincerely yours, Peter.

Message was edited by: mummiepoep-2

• 1. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I can't help with points 1 and 2 becasue I don't know about a limit and there's nothing you can do as a user to change the interface except file a feature request and pray that after all these version updates someone will finally decide that long doc features deserve a bit of attention (don't hold your breath).

Point 3, however, is unclear to me. What do you have against starting a section at physical page 3 (first non-blank) or whichever other page carries your logical page 1? Then set the view to section numbering and you should have exactly what you want.

• 2. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6
            mummiepoep-2 Level 1

Dear Mr. Spier (Beste Peter), thanks for your help.

But I still do not understand how this index-panel works.

Let us take as a start a book with two non-numbered pages followed by automatically numbered pages.

So ...

An "indesign"-page 10 (just an example) is MY page 8.

Indesign page 10 is mentioned in the pages-menu and when adding topics in the index-panel of the SAME page, they ALL have a number 10.

But the strange thing is, that when I generate a new index and paste it somewhere in my book, the above mentioned topics do CORRECTLY refer to MY page 8.

So I'm happy with that but I seem have to missed something. For instance (looking around on internet) most people prefer to adjust page-numbering optins to their master-pages what I did not.

And (to Peter or someone else)

does anybody know the answers on my two other questions ...

1) Is there a maximum of entries for the index?

2) Is there a way to have a better oversight when having hundreds of entries? Now topics, sub-topics and pagenumbers take 3 lines of space in my index-panel. So one has to scroll a lot when having many entries. Is it possible to have topics, sub-topics and pagenumber(s) on ONE line?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6

Go to the application preferences (InDesign > Preferences... on Mac, Edit > Preferences... on Windows) and the very first thing at the top of the General tab is how to view page numbering. You want to set that to view Section Numbering. When you do that, the numbers in the pages panel will match the numbers assigned to the pages.

• 4. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6
                Ellis home Level 4

Not sure about a limit on entries. I've done a few index but just in the hundreds of entries, are you talking thousands? Regarding 2), on the flyout menu of the index panel you can check Show Find Field and that will take you to any entry just by typing a few letters. But other than that I don't see a way to modify the interface as Peter mentioned above.

• 5. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6
                  mummiepoep-2 Level 1

Yes I know dear Peter ...

But after changing the page numbering to section numbering - and now I am touching a VERY OLD problem - one's FOOTNOOT-numbering is starting again with "1", which I do not want.

Even worse ...

When the last footnote-number of a section is e.g. "75", you may be able to start your NEXT section with footnote-number "76"

BUT then ALL your sections are starting with "76"!!! So the for-last section now ends with number 150! (75 plus 75).

You or someone else can solve this problem?

Nevertheless thanks for the help!

Greetings!

• 6. Re: Indexing a book using Indesign CS 6

How many sections do you have? You only need section starts at the very first page (mandatory) and for the official page 1. It seems unlikely you would have footnotes in your front matter.