5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2014 4:09 PM by A.T. Romano

When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?

Rich_813

I've uploaded a few videos to Vimeo but I also want to keep the rendered file locally; however, I can't figure out where it might be if a copy is kept locally.  I've looked in the "C:\Users\Rich\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files" directory and do not see it there.

Somewhere that file must exist, at least until the upload is complete and then perhaps it is deleted by Premiere.  I don't want to wait and download the file from Vimeo because they monkey with the video before they post it.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Rich

• 1. Re: When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

When one uses the direct upload method, the only file that exists is the one on Vimeo, FaceBook, etc..

Instead of doing the direct upload, instead use Publish+Share to create an output file, with the specs. needed, then manually upload that to the social media site - that will give you that output file on your computer, as well. That method also helps get around some limitations of the direct method, such as file Duration for Extended Accounts.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

• 2. Re: When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?
            Rich_813 Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  That's what I suspected.  I'll start using the method you suggested so that I have a local copy.

Rich

• 3. Re: When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich_813

If a "must have" copy of your Premiere Elements 12 upload to Vimeo is involved and you no longer have your associated Premiere Elements 12 project.prel, you can get a copy of your work which was uploaded to Vimeo according to the following Vimeo document.

http://vimeo.com/help/faq/sharing-videos/downloading-videos

If you were dealing with YouTube rather than Vimeo, you can get a .mp4 copy of your uploaded work. I will post details on that if requested.

Premiere Elements 12 YouTube upload has posted limits of 2 GB 15 minutes. I see no such limits in Premiere Elements 12 Vimeo. However, recently I came across an online article that spoke about Vimeo allowing 1 HD video upload per week and 10 SD video uploads per week. I have never seen that before and need to explore that further. But none of that seems to apply to the question that you present.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?
                Rich_813 Level 1

Thank you A.T. Romano.  I guess I never got that far in the Vimeo documentation so thank you for pointing that out to me.  I did not know that they kept the original for me to download along with the same movie in a few different formats, too.  That's a nice feature that I was unaware of when I decided to buy the membership.

I just starting using Vimeo.  I got a Plus account for $60(US) per year and am quite happy so far.  The upload limits are interesting, but workable for me and they work well for my project. 

My current Premiere project:

I have 42 AVI video files, each made from a 2 hr. VHS tape or a 1 hour 8MM digital tape and all of them contain family videos.  The AVI files from the 2 hour VHS tapes are mostly about 27GB in size!  I'm editing them and cleaning them up in Premiere and then uploading to Vimeo.  When they are encoded and uploaded by Premiere they are generally just under Vimeo's 5GB per week limit for a Plus account  Because of this per week limit I am using it to pace myself - I plan to edit and upload a video per week for 42 weeks.  Already, after just one upload, my adult kids (the stars of the movies), wife and others are asking for the next one already.

I digitized these movies about 4 years ago and they have been sitting patiently, waiting and waiting and waiting for me to eventually edit and distribute them.  Finally I am getting around to doing it and now have a workflow schedule to keep me organized so that I now have a finish date for the project!

I have all of my original AVI files backed up and stored off location at my dad's house, but it's nice to know that I have another backup in the cloud, too.

• 5. Re: When PE12 uploads to social media sites does it cache the file locally and, if so, where is it?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rich_813

Sounds like a great family project which you have organized well. It is good that you have realized the importance for backups and backups for the backups when you are dealing with family irreplaceable memories such as these.

You wrote

Already, after just one upload, my adult kids (the stars of the movies), wife and others are asking for the next one already.

A sure sign of a job well done.

Best wishes to you and family,

ATR