13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 2:27 PM by A.T. Romano

Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.

cappedup

Hello.

I am producing 10 second (ish) long timelpase clips. I import 300 odd 1920x1080 still images.

Project is set to 30fps (or 25, depending). Set to 1 frame for still images.

I am producing the still images on a DSLR, and resizing them in Canon Photo professional. I have the option of a DPI for each individual still.

Does anyone know what DPI is required for viewing crisp images on a HDTV? The default is 350. i have raised this to 1200 as 350 seems low.

The resulting clips have a slight jerky feel to them, the motion is not smooth. I am wondering if this is due to the DPI setting.

The finished clips size is roughly 50MB.

i am saving the clips in PE as AVCHD/MP4-H268 1920x1080p 25

Thanks for any assistance.

EDIT, here is an example https://vimeo.com/84488936

EDIT02. Also in Canon Photo Professional i have the option to tick "embed ICC profile". What does this mean?

• 1. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

PPI or DPI has no meaning in video, but does for printing which you are not doing. Think pixel dimensions (width & height in pixels) and pixels.

ICC profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile

Here is some online chat on the topic posted for informational purposes only.

http://forum.livebooks.com/livebooks/topics/why_should_i_not_include_color_profile_for_my_ images_to_upload_them_on_the_website

Please refer to the following blog posts on Premiere Elements and Time Lapse video basics

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-and.html

I viewed your sample video. It almost looks like depth of view in reverse.

Please review the above and then we can get into details as necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
            cappedup Level 1

PE11.

So, the dpi simply doesnt matter as soon as it gets exported from PE? It must have some relevance. Ie, there must be a minimum. if i set it to 24dpi, the resulting still image would be unusable.

Ok, ICC is irrelevant as well.

Could you spot the slight stutter in the movement of the video? i intentionally made the DOF very shallow in the video.

I will look at those links, thank you..

• 3. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

Classically you will see the default in those Photoshop Elements Image Resize dialogs as 72 ppi or dpi.

Again, ppi and dpi are related to printing purposes, not video purposes. Video goes to pixel dimensions, width and height in pixels. Where do you think that you are setting a ppi or dpi value in Premiere Elements. Does not exist. But pixel dimensions do, width and height of the frame in pixels.

There is lots of information on this online. Here is a sampling.

http://www.scantips.com/basics1c.html

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/244/860018

I did not notice the stutter as much as I did the blur which appeared to be a depth of field effect in the foreground (which seem to vary) rather than the background.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                cappedup Level 1

I have the option of dpi when i batch process my individual stills with Canon Photo Professional. Its a photo editing software. At that stage, there are 300+ photographs, which is why dpi is offered as something to adjust.

ive tried saving the stills with 350 dpi, and 1200 dpi. I still get a slight stutter on the movement in my clip exported from PE. The dpi might be a red herring.

Ive looked throught the links above. i think my workflow is pretty good. I have a very good computer running Win8.1.

• 5. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

Thanks for the update.

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit should give you good program access to the 64 bit resources. So that is good.

When you do your photo editing in Canon Photo Professional, what are you doing

a. batch cropping/resizing

b. setting the duration for 1 frame (or is that being set in Premiere Elements before you import your series)

c. other

What are you setting for the project preset? In version 11, the project takes over setting the project preset. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not. You might consider manually setting the project preset File Menu/New/Project (check mark next to Force Selected Project Settings on This Project) and then importing the series of photos (each 1920 x 1080 pixels) into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

I would go for the project preset of

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

I am not sure what your

Project is set to 30fps (or 25, depending)

is all about.

What happens the the smoothness of the playback if you omit your depth of field?

Lots of details here and there to explore but let us review the above and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                    cappedup Level 1

Yes, batch cropping and resizing in Photo Professional.

The duration for the animation/frame rate is only handled in PE. All I import are the individual photographs. The photos come as jpg. PE does the rest.

The project preset is dependant on where the final clip will end up. Someitmes US, NTSC. Sometimes UK, PAL. I have found te judder effect with both of NTSC and PAL. I havnt tried the DSLR setup.

Which is also the reason for the change in frame rate. 30 for US, 25 for UK. (its TV stuff.)

The depth of field i feel is irrelevant as the stills i import could be of anything. I play with the DOF in the camera at the time of capture.  but is purely an artistic thing. I dont see how that could have any relevance.

edit, just tried DSLR settings. The problem persists. its almost as if the frame rate is not 25fps, it seems like half that. Old school animation VS new age tech. Rhubarb and Custard Vs Toy Story!

• 7. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

Thanks for the update. Sorry the news is not better.

This 25 frames per second that seems like half that...am I correct that this is for the playback of the

MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25 export of the Timeline, not what you are seeing in the Edit Mode monitor when you are viewing playback of the rendered Timeline before export?

Do you see this slightly jerky video motion to which you refer in the Time Lapse before and after export?

What is the actual duration of your export of 300 jpg each with a duration of 1 frame?

I do not recall that I asked or your said, is this playback matter restricted to this particular batch of 300 jpg images or do you run into this problem with all your Time Lapse video projects?

I have gotten excellent results for Time Lapse video Premiere Elements projects so I am reluctant to characterize the experience as

Old school animation VS new age tech. Rhubarb and Custard Vs Toy Story!

And, if there were a glitch in the process, I would not dismiss anything as irrelevent, as I systematically  ruled in or out possible causes for the glitch.

We could get into how the photos were introduced to the Timeline, possibities for slivers which at the Timeline level of 1 frame would be hard to detect if you had set for 1 frame per second in the preferences beforehand, and so on.

We will be watching for further developments when you have time.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 8. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                        nealeh Level 5

cappedup wrote:

ive tried saving the stills with 350 dpi, and 1200 dpi.

As ATR said, for video the pixel dimensions are the only thing of relevance. But try them at 72 dpi and see if that helps any.

Also if your Canon software has the option to save them in Adobe's PSD format that might also be worth trying.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

Please refer to post numbered 7 in your thread for my last comments in your thread.

Just wanted to ask if your troubleshooting of your Time Lapse video's playback smoothness took into consideration camera factors such as shutter speed. Any changes in your workflow related to camera settings for this 300 jpg Time Lapse video production?

ATR

• 10. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                            cappedup Level 1

Hi all. So Ive been spending some time trying to troubleshoot my issue. i think I am making progress, but have not found a solution yet.

I have ruled out there being an issue with capturing the images on my camera. I have rebuilt my timelapse rig, taken another set of photographs and cycled through the images one by one, the movement i record is very regular. The shutter speed I use and other camera settings dont seem to affect the regularity of the movement.

I have produced a clip using Windows Movie Maker and the problem persists. thus I think the problem could lie with my computer. I am using a 3 month old Toshiba Qosimo http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/toshiba-qosmio-x75-a7298.aspx

I have searched for graphics issues with this computer and have just started looking into what things are suggested. It is running windows 8.1

i now think the issue is as much playback of clips, as opposed to creation of clips in PE11, or other video editing software.

As ever, any ideas or things to try are greatly appreciated.

• 11. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

Thanks for the update.

You may have tried the following, but I will mention them just in case...

Have you taken your AVCHD.mp4 (MP4 -  H.264 1920 x 1080p25) and played it back on another computer? When I took another look at your YouTube sample at the YouTube HD setting, I did not pick up on any motion factors.

ATR

• 12. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                                cappedup Level 1

Yes, my friend played the same clip on his (also Toshiba, but with half the spcs) and the effect was present, although less so. I am sending the .mp4 to another friend who also produces timelapse clips to run on his computer. If it runs fine with him, then the issue is definitley my PC based, and not photos/PE11/internet etc.

• 13. Re: Timelapse frame DPI resolution. Clips are jerky.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

cappedup

We will be watching for further developments.

If the trend goes to better and better from computer to computer comparisons, it will be interesting to learn how the computer specifications and player correlations mirrored those results.

ATR