9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 1:44 PM by A.T. Romano

System Memory Problem Elements 9

Alan A&J Level 1

Another problem I cant solve.  I have reached over 2 hours of HD Video on my project with Premier Elements 9, and I am now getting continual warnings telling me " System memory is running very low and to save and quit project."  Project crashes out constantly.

My 64 bit, Windows 7 had 6 GB of RAM and following the information on my computer (HP Pavillion Elite HPE 350uk) I have just succesfully upgraded my PC to 12 GB RAM.    However it has not made any difference to my adobe project and I cannot proceed with more than 10 minutes of editing before it crashes out again.

Am I missing something? Is Ram memory not what the warning is refering to.? Is Elements 9 at the limitation of its Memory.?

Am I able to commit more memory to the project?

Thanks  Alan

• 1. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run in a 32 bit or 64 bit operating system. In the 64 bit system, it runs in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system. And, a 32 bit system is characterized by maximum supported installed RAM of 4 GB of which typically 3.2 to 3.0 GB of that are available.

If you want Premiere Elements as a 64 bit application that can take advantage of the 64 bit resources (including installed RAM greater than 4 GB), then, on the Windows side of things, you have to have specifically use Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 on specifically Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Optimize your computer, clear out pile ups of preview files, conformed video files, and conformed audio files etc.

Check your project settings and your video formats.

Please view and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Am I missing something? Is Ram memory not what the warning is refering to.? Is Elements 9 at the limitation of its Memory.?

"System Memory" is a combo of installed RAM (ATR covers PrE 9's useage of that very well), and also Windows Virtual Memory (Page File).

Looking at the latter, what is the size of the Windows Page File, and how is that Virtual Memory managed, i.e. dynamically (letting Windows set size on the fly, as it deems necessary), or static (user sets size of Page File, which will be created at boot-up)?

For video-editing, I prefer to set my Page File statically, and will do this for any new computer, or new OS, for several reasons. First, as the Page File is created at boot-up, no CPU cycles are required for Windows to dynamically manage it, and second, Windows has trouble with high Page File usage from some programs, like PrE - it underestimates the need for a larger Page File, until it's basically too late. A dynamically managed Page File is OK for general computing with programs, such as Word, or Outlook, but less so, with some more intensive programs.

In my case, setting the Page File size and location, on a clean system has two other advantages: the location of that Page File, say on my D:\, or E:\ drive will be on the fastest portion of the HDD (not important if an SSD is employed), and also the very same location, every time. That helps when doing a defragmentation of that HDD.

I also set the size of the Page File to be about 2.5x the size of the installed RAM. This is over-kill, with a 64-bit OS AND 64-bit applications, but works well with either a 32-bit OS, or 32-bit applications.

Hope that provides a bit of an overview on "System Memory."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan,

Your essential question is

Am I able to commit more memory to the project?

If you are referring to installed RAM modules that you insert into your computer motherboard, you are limited by the 32 bit system limitation of supported installed RAM = 4 GB that your program has not choice but to run in it.

But, to what extent computer optimization and other computer adjustments will have on your present specific situation is questionable as it relates to you getting a larger Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project taken to a successful completion. You need to explore that extent.

Adding more than 4 GB RAM (Physical Memory) here is not a viable choice in your present Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 choice with the Windows 7 64 bit computer. There may be virtual memory perks.

ATR

• 4. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                Alan A&J Level 1

A T

Thanks for your response. If I was to update to Premier Elements 12 would that autamaticaly make it more compatible with Windows 7. 64 bit operation (i e Is it a 64 bit  compatible). If so I assume I can still run my current Project on that after downloading it.?  This therefore would be a better alternative I Guess...

Alan

• 5. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the reply.

This is more a computer resource issue rather than a compatibility issue between current Premiere Elements and your computer system.

Your major gain by going to Premiere Elements 10, 11, or current version 12, would be the availability of the 64 bit system resources to your Premiere Elements 12. Major advanatage, getting larger project completed successfully with greater frequency than before. Ideally, you should be able to open your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project in Premiere Elements 12.

That was the good news. The not so good news includes

a. Although the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project should open in Premiere Elements 12, it may not. It is often written to complete the project in the project in which it was completed. So, probably OK, but no guarantees.

b. Premiere Elements 12 as a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system will offer more resources to the program, but that does not always translate into "faster". More a multitasking perk.

c. Installation, importing, editing, and exporting of the latest version does not give you a guarantee of trouble free operation.

Bottom line: Think about downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 to assure that it is compatible with your computer environment and that its features meet the needs of your video projects.

Best to make sure that you have optimized what you have to the fullest, then, if that is a no go, then consider what you need to do.

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>assume I can still run my current Project on that after downloading it.?

Not necessarily a good assumption... there are "some" messages about not being able to open an "old" project in a newer version

Such as this one http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1383642?tstart=0 where a version 11 project won't open in version 12 - so I seriously doubt that your version 9 project would work in version 12... you would have to start over with a new project

• 7. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

I would not go so far as to have serious doubts about a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project opening in Premiere Elements 12. I have opened many a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 project in Premiere Elements 12 as well as 10 and 11. I do not make it a habit to do so. But, when I do, no problems.

But, the point that I am trying to make is that there is no guarantee for this. But, likely to be OK.

Consequently, tryout before any purchase.

And, remember that once you edit a project in a later version you cannot go back and edit the later version edited project in the earlier one. Best do your tryouts with copies in this regard.

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                        Alan A&J Level 1

A.T. and All

Thanks for your advice once again.  I will try first to push my present version as you suggest if i understand the bit about increasing page File (Static) as suggested by Bill, and cleaning out old files etc. If that does not work i will try the 30 day trial of 12 as you suggest, and try my current version in that.

I will keep you informed... Thanks Alan

• 9. Re: System Memory Problem Elements 9
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the follow ups.

We will be watching for your progress.

The two major flaws that I had with Premiere Elements 9.0 were

a. the display card error which brought the baddrivers.txt file into the spotlight for that version and later ones

b. the disc menu replacement backgrounds that disappeared in the end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD.

Other than that and with the 9.0.1 Update version to work with, I have found Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 a workable version.

But, each version has its points of consideration.

ATR