12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 9:45 AM by Szalam

installing render only version on offline machines Mk2

marcuslyall

Hi there,

I need to install AE CC on 10 blade servers, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this withou doing it through the CC app.

There seems to be no sign of AE CC as a standalone app.

And no-one seems to be answering on this forum.

Can I take it then that this isn't possible?

Would it not be possible to create a standalone version of AE which is render only, and doesn't need to be installed via the CC app.

It's the ONLY CC app that works like this...

Would make it a lot easier for render farms and thus serious post work....

• 2. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
          marcuslyall Level 1

Thanks for the weekend reply Todd.

Will give the CCP thing a go...

• 3. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
            marcuslyall Level 1

OK, I'm going to break this down a bit, because I can't get it to work..

We need some more steps here. This is not as simple as advertised...

Creative Cloud Packager for Creative Cloud Teams and Creative Cloud Enterprise

You do not need to follow the instructions above if you are deploying After Effects CC as part of a multi-seat license, Creative Cloud Teams or Creative Cloud Enterprise. Instead, use the Creative Cloud Packager (CCP) to deploy the software.

Er. So I managed to download and install CCP.

In this case, create the ae_render_only_node.txt file before deployment:

1. Create the ae_render_only_node.txt file as described here, and use CCP to set the destination for this file.

So.... rewind a second.. How do you add this?

The CCP downloads a fresh copy of AE, and makes a CCP installer out of it automatically.

How would one create a package containing the .txt file?

Where is the option to include this file?

There's no option to do this.

2. Deploy After Effects CC using Creative Cloud Packager.

OK. So how do I do that?
            From the admin machine or the client machine?

If I copy the package onto the client machine, it needs CCP to install it.... which requires internet access.

Or do I do it from the admin machine... which I can't at the moment, because it's not seeing the client machine on the network....

(I should say at this point that C4d TeamRender is working using the same network, and was super-easy to set up...)

So then I go here....

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/packager/creative-cloud-packager.html

If you are a Creative Cloud for teams customer, download Adobe Creative Cloud Packager from the Team Admin Portal in Adobe Creative Cloud.

OK. That was easy. Got it.

Using Creative Cloud Packager, you create Windows and/or Mac OS packages (MSI or PKG files) and then using any third-party deployment tool that supports the deployment of native installers (for example Microsoft SCCM, Apple ARD, or JAMF Casper Suite) deploy them to client machines.

OK. That's not so easy. Can't I just make something I can copy onto the client machines?

Note:

It is recommended that Creative Cloud Packager should not be installed on a system where one or more Creative Suite products or Creative Cloud Manager products have been installed.

OK. That's not really possible as I don't have a spare machine just to make Adobe packages.

But made something anyway...Made sure I'd quit out of CC....

It's made a folder called RenderNode.

Copied it onto the client machine via my SAN.

Opened it up on the client machine.

There's another folder called 'Build' (looks promising...)

Hey.... there's a file called 'RenderNode' which is what I called the package. And it's a Windows installer..

Double-click..... and.......

'Please wait while Windows configures RenderNode.'

OK..... and waiting......and waiting......and waiting......and waiting......and waiting......and waiting......

Looks like this is going nowhere... Giving up......

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here.

But this is like 10 times more complicated than the previous way of doing things...

Which in itself involves the .txt kludgey thing.

Wouldn't it just be lovely if there was a nice self-contained downloadable render-only app that you could just install?

Surely it wouldn't be that hard?

• 4. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Marcus,

Creative Cloud Packager may not be the right tool for you. It is an administration tool for creating deployment packages, it is not an installer.  Your questions about how to use Creative Cloud Packager would be better served on the Enterprise Deployment for Creative Cloud forum.

You don't need to use Creative Cloud Packager to do install After Effects CC render engines on multiple computers, it just makes the process faster if you are familiar with deployment tools. To install without deployment tools, follow the instructions on the blog, which I have simplified here:

On each machine:

1. Install Creative Cloud and After Effects CC.
              2. Sign out of Creative Cloud.
              3. Create and place the ae_render_only_node.txt file.

Wouldn't it just be lovely if there was a nice self-contained downloadable render-only app that you could just install?

Surely it wouldn't be that hard?

Please file a feature request. I agree that a render engine-only installation option would be a nice thing to have. Such a thing existed in a fashion a long time ago, before significant changes were made to our activation and installation models. Currently, Creative Cloud activates (licenses) the applications at the same time you install them. This is why my above instructions tell you to sign out of Creative Cloud on each machine that will only be used for the render engine. Creative Cloud Packager gets around this because it does not include the activation step; activation will happen when you start the applications, except for the After Effects render engine, which does not require activation (assuming you have created the ae_render_only_node.txt file).

• 5. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                marcuslyall Level 1

Hi Tim, thanks for this....

I have request a feature!

Notes inline.

You don't need to use Creative Cloud Packager to do install After Effects CC render engines on multiple computers, it just makes the process faster if you are familiar with deployment tools. To install without deployment tools, follow the instructions on the blog, which I have simplified here:

On each machine:

1. Install Creative Cloud and After Effects CC.
                2. Sign out of Creative Cloud.
                3. Create and place the ae_render_only_node.txt file.

I potentially have 26 blade servers that I want to do this on. All with no internet access.

Not so easy to install CC and AE!

I'd really like to make a 'build' that I can make work on one machine and copy to the others.

Are there any very cheap deployment tools that I can use?

Please bear in mind that I'm going to do this once or twice a year.....

And that I did my C4d teamrender install with all plugins on all machines in about 2 hrs.

For that I did a 'build' and got someone to write a script to copy it to each node.

Worked with C4d, but not with AE.

This whole activation thing is a bit tricky.

TBH, the whole multi-machine render thing is starting to look a little dated, guys.

Save down a special project to a special folder with special multi-machine settings?

Really complicated....

Client machines sitting on a network looking for daddy, but no reporting within AE of which machines are working?

Maxon have got this working really nicely. Even have the network rendering to your preview window.

• 6. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                  Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

marcuslyall wrote:

Are there any very cheap deployment tools that I can use?

I don't have any suggestions for you; software deployment is not an area I'm familiar with. You should ask that question on the Enterprise Deployment for Creative Cloud forum.

• 7. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                    marcuslyall Level 1

OK. Here's what I'm now trying.

This is the only relevant link I could find in the Enterprise Forum.

Still looking, but it's a bit thin on the ground....

Found this...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1382278?tstart=0

Please find the direct link to download CC apps: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-direct-download-links.html.

Kindly follow the very important instructions before download.

So,

Downloaded the app by itself...

But now you have to sign in to an account to install it. Which I can't.

So that doesn't work....

Will try something else...

• 8. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                      marcuslyall Level 1

OK. So I've now got 10 render clients installed.

Here's what happened.

I managed to use the CCP to build a folder containing an 'AE installer' installer.

When I ran the setup.exe, it looked like it was not working. It got a certain way through and then just hung.

After 10 mins of no activity, and the progress bar at a quarter, I kind of gave up on it.

It looks like it just isn't working....

So I had some dinner.

And when I came back I noticed a folder called 'Adobe CC' on my desktop.

Inside here is a folder called 'After Effects'. And inside this is another folder called 'Adobe After Effects CC'.

And in here is another Set-up.exe.

So I copied this 'Adobe After Effects CC' onto a client machine and ran the .exe

Result!

It started to install AE on my offline machine.

But wait!

Then it asks whether you want to try or buy.

I chose 'buy'. Mistake. Sign-in needed.

I chose 'try'. Mistake. Sign-in needed.

But wait!

After attempting to contact the Adobe server for some time, an option comes up to 'sign in later'. Hit that button.

Result!

A few clicks and waits later, I have AE installed.

Even better, there's already the kludgey .txt file in the right place because I've installed AE CS6 on these blades before.

So I have one machine working.

So, now if this had been a one-click install, I could have run a script to copy and run the installer on all my machines.

But it's not.

So now it's 2 hrs of 'whack-a-mole' with remote desktop connections.

But at the end, I have 10 clients running AE render-only.

Let's see what happens when the trial runs out. Will it still work?

• 9. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                        voltaire585

Ok it look like there really wasnt resolution to this problem.  Im trying to install the render engine on some slaves but cant login to Creative cloud. as it says i have already logged in on other devices?  Isnt there an easier way to just install the render engine without jumping though hoops.

• 10. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                          mtruly

I find this all absurd.

I just purchased a CC subscription and am currently downloading AE to install on my workstation.

I am on a remote mountaintop where the internet bandwidth is very low (a major reason why I have held off until now in getting CC amongst other larger annoyances).  I am fine with large apps taking a long time to download because of this... but my preference has always been to download a saveable installer that is saved to a hard disk that the user can run.  (Including running it again and again to install on render nodes... of which there are 20).  The notion that each render node should take 3 hrs to download and install is ludicrous.  I would have to schedule the installation on the farm to happen over days and weeks since I can't tie up my internet bandwidth during the day like that.  I also don't allow these render servers to go out and access the net directly.

Adobe is totally out of touch with their customers if a small studio has to jump through these ridiculous hoops to get AE render nodes setup.

Please tell me I'm missing an easy method for installing AE render nodes!!

(I am feeling less good about my purchase and thankfully can get a refund in the next 30 days if necessary).

Thanks.

• 11. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                            christinek19273835

Hi Marcus, I'm trying to reinstall and old copy of ae on my new computer which is offline. To activate it i need a request code but they no longer do phone authorisations it  is 7.0 windows can any one help? I've tried going to adobe site but i can't seem to get much help there and was told to contact the forums page cheers chris

• 12. Re: installing render only version on offline machines Mk2
                              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE are you trying to install?