3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 5:25 AM by Peter Spier

TOC not being created correctly

cathykka Level 1

The TOC is not rendering the levels correctly.

My second level is rendering before the first. Why would this be happening?

Am I overlooking something? If this is not a bug-then I am completely preplexed.

I have created TOC hundreds of times and I have never run into this issue.

Insights appreciated.

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 1.09.24 PM.png

• 1. Re: TOC not being created correctly
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Levels don't actually get used to sort the TOC unless you are sorting alphabetically. If sorting by page, the usual cause for things ouot of order is placement. ID looks for frames that contain paragraphs to be included starting at the upper left corner, then moving down, then up to the opt move right and down again, so a frame that is further to the left, even if lower on the page, gets found first.

• 2. Re: TOC not being created correctly
            cathykka Level 1

Well that is very useful information Peter. Thanks. Now my next question would be is their a way to change this behavior? Because all my first level is formatted to the right of the page?

• 3. Re: TOC not being created correctly
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can't change the behavior, but maybe you can change the layout. Try extending the frames that hold the hedings to the left margin and either use right-aligned text, or add a left indent to the paragarph style (adding an indent to the frame is the same as moving the frame for TOC purposes, so it won't help).