17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 11:49 AM by mikecox_

Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

mikecox_ Level 1

I have 3 video tracks on my timeline.  Track 1 runs, uninterupted, from start to finish. Tracks 2 and 3 have clips that overlay track 1.

The problem is that track 1 keeps bleeding through transitions taking place on track 2 and 3. It occurs right in the middle of my transitions.

How do I prevent track one from bleeding through my transitioning clips on tracks 2 and 3?

Also, I have inserted some still images that overlay track 1.  In one of the images I got a message that asked if I wanted to fill the background; something to do with the background being solid? 

Anyway, one on my images filled in the track 1 frame but two of them show track one behind the still imagaes; where the image doesn't fill the frame.

1. What is the frame size? 

If I create an image in Ps what size should I make it so it will fill the frame; and what resolution setting should I use so the quatlity matches the video?

2. How do I create a background that overlays the frame; so there is a solid backbround behind images that I add that aren't full frame?

Also, can I create a background effect; like textures, etc.?

Frame size.jpg

• 1. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The "transitions" you have on tracks 2 and 3 are fade ins and fade outs -- which are levels of Opacity (transparency).

When you reduce a clip's Opacity, as you've done to a number of your clips on tracks 2 and 3, you reveal the clips on track 1.

• 2. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
            mikecox_ Level 1

Yes, that makes sense; now

I guess what I will have to so is block the image in video 1 somehow; by changing it's opacity to Zero??  Or is there an easier way.  I guess I could simply remove a section of video 1. 

Any other thoughts?

btw, I have "Cool Tricks..." for v11, will you be doing one for v12?

• 3. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

There isn't much difference between version 11 and version 12, so there's no plan to do a new Cool Tricks book yet, Mike. But it would be fun to do a sequel some time!

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to fade to black between clips on tracks 2 and 3?

Why not just put all of the video on track 2 and then use the Dip to Black transition between them? Then you're not dealing with opacity at all.

• 4. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                mikecox_ Level 1

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to fade to black between clips on tracks 2 and 3?

I'm adding clips over Video 1, which I want to run undisturbed under the clips; so that when there are not clips it will become visable again.  I just don't want to see it during the trainsitions.

Why not just put all of the video on track 2 and then use the Dip to Black transition between them? Then you're not dealing with opacity at all.

Ok, I'll give that a try. I've never been perfectly clear about "dip to back" but I image the screen will go black before the next transition starts, and I don't want that, I want one to fade out as the other fads in; I don't want any blach between the clips.  That's why I overlapped them on video 2 and 3.

There was another question; probably should have posted it separately  

If I create an image in Ps what size should I make it so it will fill the frame; and what resolution setting should I use so the quatlity matches the video?

How do I create a background that overlays the frame; so there is a solid backbround behind images that don't fill the frame?

• 5. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

Well, let's concentrate on your first effect before we go adding another question to the mix, Mike.

Can you describe in a bit more detail what you mean by: I'm adding clips over Video 1, which I want to run undisturbed under the clips; so that when there are not clips it will become visable again.  I just don't want to see it during the trainsitions.

• 6. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                    mikecox_ Level 1

Ok, I think I've sorted it out.  I just tried the "cross desolve" transition and that did exactly what I was trying to accomplish.

cross desolve.jpg

Ok, now to the other question.  I've just descovered that the frame size is 1920x1080.  So, if I but my still images on a canvas that size it should cover the frame below.  Does it matter what the image resolution is?

Here is the message I got, that made the background I mentioned earlier.  Is there a way to force the background; if this option doesn't appear?

Video merge option to fill background.jpg

• 7. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

That is a Videomerge message. You don't want it in this case so check the Do Not Show Again box and click No.

I've just descovered that the frame size is 1920x1080.  So, if I but my still images on a canvas that size it should cover the frame below.  Does it matter what the image resolution is?

Resolution doesn't matter with online or onscreen images. All that matters is their measurement, in pixels.

• 8. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                        mikecox_ Level 1

That is a Videomerge message. You don't want it in this case so check the Do Not Show Again box and click No.

I reviewed Videomerge; in a Linda.com tutoria, to see what it is all about.  Now I understand why I should unchecked the popup

Relative to Chroma key colors; Is there a formula for Choma green, that I can create in Ps and save for use over and over, as an asset? 

Is this the answer to the question of how to fill the frame behind an image on track 2; short of putting it back in Ps and inlargeing the canvus to 1920x1080?

Message was edited by: mikecox_

• 9. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

Chroma key can be set to make almost any color transparent. However the key colors most often chosen are bright green and bright blue because they are the least like human skin tones (which you pretty much never want to be keyed out).

• 10. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                            mikecox_ Level 1

Thanks; btw, I just noticed, that was your tutorial I watched on Linda.

Is this the answer to the question of how to fill the frame behind an image on track 2; short of putting it back in Ps and inlargeing the canvus to 1920x1080?

• 11. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

Yep. That would be me.

Thanks for checking it out, Mike!

• 12. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                                mikecox_ Level 1

I hate to keep bugging you with this Question but...

I still don't know how to fill the frame behind an image on track 2; short of putting it back in Ps and inlargeing the canvus to 1920x1080?  Can it be done on the fly or must I have to enlarge the cavus.

• 13. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

You can select the clip on the timeline that you want to fill the frame with and open Applied Effects, then Motion.

In the Motion properties, change the Scale until the image files your video frame.

Does that do what you need?

• 14. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                                    mikecox_ Level 1

Does that do what you need?

Nope

That enlarges the clip and it is already topped out; which is to say it already fills the frame top to bottom.  What I imaged is that there would be a way to, somehow, create a layer behind the clip; that woulf fill the frame, so Video 1 didn't show at the outer edges of the clip.

It looks like I will have to create a background layer in Ps, then layer the image on top if it; then save it and add it back to my assets.  Then the clip will cover the whole frame.

ps I just stumbled onto the solution;  but I don't know why it works.

1. I put the B&W clip on video 2; by itself.  As expected it doesn't fill the frame.

2. I put the clip of the relief; by itself, on video 2. As expected it fills the frame.  This time I dragged it out along the timeline then

3. I placed the B&W clip ON TOP of the relief in 2; instead of above it on Video 3.

Why does it now fill the frame?  Why did it get wider, but not taller?

Finally, I dragged the edges of the relief in on both sides, so they were no longer visible and voila; problem solved!

But why does this work

Fill the frame.jpg.

pps

replaced.jpg

Message was edited by: mikecox_ Added screenshots

• 15. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3

If you right-click on the clip you're trying to resize on your timeline, is Scale to Frame Size checked? If so, uncheck it. This toggle will keep you from being able to manually size your image.

• 16. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

As to

Why does it now fill the frame?  Why did it get wider, but not taller?

If one has Scale to Default Frame checked, and they use an Image/Clip with smaller dimensions, the Scale will be applied to both dimensions, until ONE reaches the size of the Frame. If the Aspect Ratio of the Image/Clip does not match the Project's Video Frame Size, the Scaling will stop, as soon as ONE dimension does fill the Frame. That could be the height, for say a vertical/portrait Image, or the width, if that dimension matches first, leaving the height inside the Frame, and not filling it.

I prefer to manually Scale any Image/Clip, to get exactly what I want.

Hope that explains what I think you are seeing, and good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Track 1 bleeds into transistions on track 2 and 3
                                          mikecox_ Level 1

the Scale will be applied to both dimensions, until ONE reaches the size of the Frame.

Fascinating   Thanks, I will save that explaintion in my Evernotes