3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 12:05 PM by mikecox_

Why do I have to render so often; and why does it take so long

mikecox_ Level 1

I've been putting a relatively short video together but it's a very tedious process because every time I add a short click; of about 10 seconds, I have to stop and render. 

That because every time I add a clip scrubbing becomes very jerky and irratic and I can't find tune the transitions.

I wouldn't mind that so much except that the rendering process tacks 30-45 seconds so I'm not getting much done

• 1. Re: Why do I have to render so often; and why does it take so long
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 9 with the 9.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac".

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

2nd, exactly what are you editing?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

For Mac http://mediainspector.massanti.com/

3rd, when you add a new clip, does it have a red line over the timeline?

• 2. Re: Why do I have to render so often; and why does it take so long
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Michael

Details.

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with at this time and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are dragging a clip to the Timeline for a project with a project preset that does not match the properties of the clip, you know very well that rendering the Timeline is indicated to get the best possible preview of what you have. You know you do not have to do that. But, it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

And, also you know that Premiere Elements (any version) allows for only one project preset. So, if you have more than one kind of format for that TImeline, you decide on your priorities, set one project preset, and fit everything else into. But, we are going to see the rendering color indicator if the non prime format(s) do not match the project preset.

Since you know all that and have been working with Premiere Elements (several versions) for a long time, I would ask "What is so different now that you need to ask?"

In your asking, I am wondering if I am missing an essential part of what you are asking about.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why do I have to render so often; and why does it take so long
              mikecox_ Level 1

Touche

I must confess to suffering from "Use it or lose it".  I haven't been doing much video editing lately so I have forgotten some things.

First let me briefly explain what I'm doing here. 

Video 1 is a 4" clip from my Canon 60D. I have added some still imges of varius sizes; mostly in the range of 4x3 all at 300 ppi.  I have added transitions between these images.  Scrubbing works fine; after I have Rendered.  In the past it didn't, so this isn't that old problem I used to have.  This appears to be a different.

Organ example.jpg

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with at this time and on what computer operating system is it running?

I am still using v12 on a 64 bit Win7 OS.

f you are dragging a clip to the Timeline for a project with a project preset that does not match the properties of the clip, you know very well that rendering the Timeline is indicated to get the best possible preview of what you have.

I do believe I recall that fact.  

Clarify what you mean by "with a project preset". Are you referring to the Project Settings? I never change them; they remain at default? What I'm trying to determine is; do the jpg images have to have a specifc size, or  resolution; one that matches the MOV clip in Video 1?  I wonder if a step is rendered does that lock it in or does it have to be rendered over and over again; as appears to be the case?  Except that the render line only seems to change when I add new images.

allows for only one project preset

Ok, there is that term again.  I havne't changed any presets; that I'm aware of.

we are going to see the rendering color indicator

Ok, I know what that is and in the example it's all the same color, but      it does change to orange when I add a jpg image.

Now I have to report that I did some testing at this point.  I dragged two images to the timeline and added a transition; which changed the rendering color to orange.  Then I scrubbed across the two images and it seemed to move quite smoothly.  I then rendered them and scrubbing seemed even more smoothly.

That seems to fly in the face of what I've reported in this post; i.e. inconsistent  

I don't know what to think, it's frustrating.  I hate to be an alarmist and I hate not remembering all the things you have so patiently tought me in the past.  I think I need to work more frequently in Premiere; in order  to avoid the "lost it" effect.

I will return to this project and try to keep notes as I go; maybe something I've said here will give you a clue to why I'm having problems and maybe I can catch some ojective Sx to offer the next time I experience problems.

btw I think we resolved a scrubbing issue by changing the Timestretch speed to 99%  Something about the Canon 60D MOV file.  I shold probably search this formum so see if I can find that reference.  It might help in this situation; especailly if I'm adding video clips..

ps After rendering several times I noticed this faint Render color.

odd color.jpg