24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 6:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12

PaulCrescenta

I just installed Premiere Elements 12 and tried to export to QuickTime.  But I get the error "Cannot find QuickTime authoring components.  Please install QuickTime from www.apple.com/quicktime."   I did install QuickTime but I still get the error.  I rebooted and still the error.  When installing QuickTime there seems to be no options for authoring components.  Can you help?

• 1. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul Crescenta

Are you running your computer with a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Are you using the QuickTime download from

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

There is only a 32 bit application version of QuickTime whether you are using Windows 32 bit or 64 bit.

After the download and install, do a restart of the computer just in case.

Please let us know the outcome. QuickTime is required for Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
            PaulCrescenta Level 1

We only use one user account, the same one as I installed Premiere Elements and QuickTime (I don't even know how to change users).

Yes, I'm using QuickTime from the www.apple.com site - installed today.

I restarted my computer.

I still get the same error.  Please help.

• 3. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Both Premiere Elements and, as I recall, require that the program be run as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrator Privileges.

Please confirm what your User Account shows with regard to these privileges/permissions.

In addition, right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements and QuickTime and select Run As Administrator.

Please let us know what happened.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                PaulCrescenta Level 1

The computer is a Dell XPS desktop with Windows 7. 

Can you tell me how to find out what User Account I'm using and what are the privileges/permissions?  I don't specify a user when I boot the computer.

I ran QuickTime and Premiere Elements by right clicking and specifying to Run As Administrator.  Still same error. 

Thanks

• 5. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                  PaulCrescenta Level 1

When I go to the Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts window, it shows only "Owner Administrator" user.  I assume this is the only account on the computer.

• 6. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Thanks for the User Account information.

I was just going to reply to your question on how to get to it, including screenshot.

But, I see you found it.

Please open Premiere Elements 12 and go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime and let us know if you see presets for the QuickTime choice or if you see only QuickTime header there but minus any presets for exports.

QuickTime needs to be installed in order to see those presets. That information may give us an insight into what the program is pickin up on with regard to your error message.

Depending on the results, we might go for a QuickTime uninstall (Control Panel route), ccleaner (run through with its regular cleaner and registry cleaner), and then reinstall. But, let us see what is showing in Premiere Elements workspace with regard to QuickTIme export choices.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...

In all this, are you including a computer restart after you install QuickTime?

• 7. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                      PaulCrescenta Level 1

At Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime there is the choice for QuickTime but when I select it I get the error - the Presents options I get for all other formats does not show up at all for QuickTime.  

I don't know if it matters, but QuickTime was not installed when I originally installed Premiere Elements.  I installed QuickTime after I got the error the first time (yesterday).   Also, I had difficulties getting Photoshop Elements installed and finally got it installed after I got Premiere Elements installed.  I uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime.  Yes, I restarted the computer after installing QuickTime.

THanks

• 8. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

According to Premiere Elements 12, QuickTime is not installed.

If you go to Control Panel/Installed Programs, is QuickTime listed as an installed program?

That information should help us decide between a program that did not install at all or one

that installed incompletely.

Depending on how that turns out, I would suggest an uninstall of both Premiere Elements 12 and QuickTime (if it is installed at all), ccleaner run through cleaner and registry cleaner part, reinstall first QuickTime and then Premiere Elements 12.

Let us see what information you find in the Control Panel/Installed programs.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                          PaulCrescenta Level 1

Yes, QuickTime is listed as an installed program  (QuickTime Player Version 7.7.4 (1680.86)).  Also, I can run it from the icon on the desktop. 

• 10. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Before you do anything else, disable your anti-virus and firewalls and determine if just that along fixes the problem. If not....

I am guessing there is an incomplete install of QuickTime. The ccleaner (registry part) of the suggestion should take out the leftovers from incomplete installs or uninstalls.

So, uninstall Premiere Elements 12 and QuickTime, ccleaner (regular cleaning part, registry cleaning part), disable anti-virus and firewalls, and reinstall QuickTime and then Premiere Elements 12.

ATR

• 11. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Just some supplemental information on QuickTime install troubleshooting that I found online

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1926

I still think we should work through the latest suggestion in post 8 of your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                PaulCrescenta Level 1

I disabled anti-virus and windows firewall.  I uninstalled Premiere Elements and QuickTime.  I downloaded and ran ccleaner both for web and registry.  I deleted itunes.   I reinstalled QuickTime (from apple.com/quicktime) and Premiere Elements (using downloaded PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64).

Still same problem.

• 13. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

This is indeed a puzzlement.

Did you try step 1 in the Apple link in post 11? If not, give that a try.

If that does not work, try an earlier version of QuickTime from the list of older versions.

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php

Where was your original source of installation files for Premiere Elements 12...installation disc from boxed purchase from authorized reseller or installation files purchased and downloaded from Adobe or other?

When you get the error message about QuickTime presumed from Premiere Elements, are you allowed to continue into the project or does the message stop you from opening the project and working in the workspace?

ATR

Add On...

I have something else for you to check out. After all the Run As Administrator and User Account with Administrative Privileges, still right click the desktop icon for QuickTime, select Properties, and then the Security Tab, and then take a look at the permissions set. I do not think it is the issue, but at this point I do not want to take anything for granted.

• 14. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                    PaulCrescenta Level 1

I think I found the problem.  It is ContentWatch/NetNanny.   When I uninstall it, then QuickTime output is provided in Premiere Elements 12. 

I tried to allow Premiere Elements in NetNanny (added apple.com, adobe.com web locations, and "adobe.premiere elements 12.exe" and "adobe premiere elements.exe") but still have the same problem.  One time NetNanny explicitily said that Premieire Elements was being blocked from accessing the web (but the rest of the time it does not show a warning).  

So now I think I have narrowed the problem down to NetNanny.  But I don't know how to enable NetNanny and still be able to export QuickTime format.

Do you know what I might try?

• 15. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Great news that you have had a breakthrough in the QuickTIme Premiere Elements issue.

I never heard of the NetNanny program until just now. I did a quick Google search and found the following which goes to permissions. See if it helps. In the morning I will search some more unless you find the answer in the following from the Net Nanny web site

http://www.netnanny.com/kb/251/

Thanks for all the follow ups.

ATR

• 16. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                        nealeh Level 5

You should probably report it to the NetNanny people as well to make them aware of the conflict, and whether or not following the knowledge base advice ATR pointed you to worked for PRE or not.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 17. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

A Google search makes it apparent that Net Nanny is aware of this type of problem  including those involving Apple software. So, your report will not come as a surprise to it.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3223139?start=60&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16936738#16936738

If you have problems with the Net Nanny posted permissions for solving the Net Nanny - software conflicts, then I can see contacting Net Nanny for clarification on its posted instructions and for input why its instructions are not working for you.

I am not sure how many Premiere Elements users also have Net Nanny. The Net Nanny QuickTime conflict is of particular importance here since QuickTime is a Premiere Elements requirement.

We will be watching for the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                            PaulCrescenta Level 1

ATR, thanks for your help.   I'll start investigating with NetNanny.  It's particularly annoying that disabling NetNanny is not enough, I have to completely uninstall it to eliminate the conflict. 

Another related question:  I think Akamai NetSession Client (netsession_win.exe *32 is running twice right now without Premiere Elements running) was installed as part of the Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 installations.  Is it still needed?  If not, then I'll uninstall them (I'm trying to uninstall everything I can to minimize possible culprits to my problem).

• 19. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements used to use the Akamai Net Session Interface in order to download these programs. I believe that they are currently using Adobe Downloader Assistant for that purpose. So I am not sure how Akamai got back into the matter. Could it be a leftover from an earlier Premiere Elements download?

Since these Akamai and Adobe Downloader Assistant are used to facilitate the download, I would delete them when not needed for that purpose and depend on any subsequent Adobe product  downloads including that type of program's download before the Premiere Elements download.

I have found that the Akamai Net Session Interface is especially prone to firewall issue. So, I need to turn the computer firewalls off beforehand.

Please let us know if you were able to insert permission for QuickTime into Net Nanny so that you can use Net Nanny, QuickTime, and Premiere Elements without conflicts.

Thanks.

ATR

• 20. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                                PaulCrescenta Level 1

When I log into Adobe and navigate to Your Downloads for my order number it shows Akamai Download Manager as the tool to download both Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 and Adobe Premiere Elements 12, so this is how I downloaded them just a couple days ago.    I just uninstalled Akamai Download Manager.

I'm working with Content Watch/NetNanny to find a solution.

• 21. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrescenta

Thanks for that Akamai information. Interesting to know. I have only run into the Adobe Download Assistant of late.

Hoping that the Content Watch/NetNanny solution is found.

More later.

ATR

• 22. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                                    PaulCrescenta Level 1

Content Watch/NetNanny helped me and the problem is fixed.  Here is how it was fixed:

A: Generate "Sys Info" file: Completely uninstall Net Nanny.  Once it is uninstalled, launch Adobe Premiere Elements  and while it is running generate the System Info:

1 - Click Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information.

2 - At the top of this System Information window, click 'File' and then 'Save'. Call the file Sys Info, and make sure it is saved as a .nfo file type.  

I emailed the "Sys Info" file to Content Watch and the lady figured out from it what Application Exception files were needed in NetNanny.  We entered the Application Exception files in NetNanny.  Then reinstalled NetNanny with Firewall and Antivirus applications turned off.  Then turned on Firewall and Antivirus applications.

The list of Application Exception files that we added to NetNanny to make Premiere Elements work is below:

adobe premiere elements.exe

adobe qt32 server.exe

• atiesrxx.exe   
                                                    • brcmmgmtagent.exe
                                                    • ccsvchst.exe
                                                    • ctaudsvc.exe
                                                    • ctxfihlp.exe   
                                                    • ctxfispi.exe    
                                                    • dsncservice.exe
                                                    • dynamiclinkmanager.exe

e_wt50rp.exe

• eeventmanager.exe
                                                    • elementsautoanalyzer.exe
                                                    • epcp.exe        

escsvc64.exe

flashplayerplugin_12_0_0_43.exe

• fsssvc.exe      
                                                    • fsui.exe          
                                                    • fufaxrcv.exe  
                                                    • fufaxstm.exe
                                                    • iastoricon.exe
                                                    • integratedoffice.exe 
                                                    • jusched.exe   
                                                    • lsass.exe        
                                                    • lsm.exe          

netsession_win.exe               

nusb3mon.exe

ois.exe

• photoshopelementsfileagent.exe     
                                                    • services.exe  

teamviewer_service.exe      

This took all weekend, but I'm looking forward to using Premiere Elements now. Thanks for your help.

• 23. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                                      nealeh Level 5

Glad to hear you sorted it out, and thanks for posting that list of exceptions - that will be helpful for anyone else with this problem. Quite a lot of those programs are nothing to do with PRE, but so long as PRE now works all is good!

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale
                                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 24. Re: Cannot find QuickTime authoring components, Premiere Elements 12
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PaulCrecenta

Just starting my day and very pleased to find the good news of your results.

I always write that the answers are in the details, and your details will be very helpful to those who find themselves in the same situation that you were in.

Congratulations to you and NetNanny support for a job well done.

ATR