4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2014 2:06 PM by BobLevine

PC or Mac?

Peggy Ellenburg

I use Adobe Creative Suite and am buying a new home computer. If I use an iMac at work, will I have compatibility problems if I buy a PC for home use?

• 1. Re: PC or Mac?
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

No. The programs create the same types of files.

However you will have problems if you use CS6 at work and CC or a different version at home.

• 2. Re: PC or Mac?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And you may develop a bit of Schizophrenia over the different postions of the modifier keys on the Keyboard. I used to hit the wrong ones all the time when I switched between platforms at home and work.

For the record, I use PC, love it, and never had any major problem sharing files. Occasionally I'll see a Mac file that uses incomaptible fonts, or a really old file with no extension that Windows can't open by itself (use File > Open from inside ID) or files that have link names with "illegal" characters that break the links, but all of these things can be worked around pretty easily if you're prepared for them.

• 3. Re: PC or Mac?
              Peggy Ellenburg Level 1

Thanks both of you. What about using Creative Cloud on two platforms? Same issues?

• 4. Re: PC or Mac?
                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

No issues with the exception of Mac only fonts. I've found a nice little

utility called Cross Font that works very well to convert them but check the

license first.