16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2014 4:14 AM by richard.boenke RSS

I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

richard.boenke

I cannot open Nikon NRW raw files in Elements 11 Help please

• 2. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
          nealeh Community Member

ACR supports NRW files  from the Coolpix range.

Camera
          ACR v#
          Coolpix P6000NRW4.6, 5.1
          Coolpix P7000NRW6.3
          Coolpix P7100NRW6.5
          Coolpix P7700NRW7.2
          Coolpix P7800NRW8.3
          Coolpix P330NRW7.4

With the exception of the P7800, PSE11 should be able to open all of the above. You may need to run Help> Updates though to install v7.4 of the plug-in.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
            richard.boenke Community Member

Thanks for your quick reply Nealeh. I have the Nikon P7800! The one on your list E11 it won't work with. Is there a solution? If I download 8.2 version of ACR independantly what would be the effect. Richard

• 4. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated. The camera is the Nikon P7800, the one that Nealeh, on the forum says is the only one it won't work with. Is it possible to download ACR 8.2 (I think) independently of E11 not causing any harm. I also run Lightroom 5.3 and have no problem with that opening the NRW's. I don't really want to be forced into buying E12. Cheers, Richard.

• 5. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                nealeh Community Member

You'll need to download the DNG converter 8.3. This will allow you to convert the 7800 files to Adobe's DNG format (a RAW format with the specification in the public domain). You will then be able to open them in PSE11s Camera RAW plug-in.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                  nealeh Community Member

If you're feeling brave* you can try the workaround procedure listed here - http://forums.adobe.com/message/5956711#5956711.

You'll need to use ACR 8.3 RC1. I found it at http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=24402. ACR 8.3 final won't work with PSE11. Make sure you click the correct download link - 'Direct Download 1' to get the zip file 'cameraraw8-3cs6_r1_win_110713.zip'.

If your system can't open zip files I highly recommend the free 7-Zip (Google it) to do so.

The '1033' file the instructions refer to is in payloads\AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-051113155157\Assets1_1.zip.

* At your own risk! If any of this is incomprehensible stick with the DNG converter - that's the officially supported method and you'll need to install it anyway to get the profiles installed.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 7. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

Hi Nealeh. I've done that but they still won't open. Any further thoughts?

Richard.

• 8. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                      ssprengel MVP

If you do Help / About Plug-in how many Camera Raw plug-ins do you see, and if you click on each of them, in turn, what versions are they?

• 9. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                        nealeh Community Member

If the workaround hasn't worked then I'm afraid you're stuck with using the DNG converter, or upgrading to PSE12.

But as you have Lightroom, which has the full version of Camera RAW (PSE is restricted), maybe rethinking your workflow might be the solution. And it can convert to DNG on import which will give you instant  access in PSE's Camera RAW (http://digital-photography-school.com/make-lightroom-faster-by-using-dng)

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale

• 10. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

Thanks again Nealeh. Looks like Adobe trying to force people to keep

upgrading all the time. I did realise I could open the files in Lightroom,

convert them and open in E11 but maybe I'm a being bit pig headed in my

wanting Adobe to support it's customers needs. I had a similar problem with

them a while back and someone on forum helped me out then. Sometimes I just

want to use E11 and not have the fuss going through Lightroom. It would

also help if Nikon didn't mess about with its file naming. They all seem to

want to trap us in their products.

Sorry, rant over. Best regards, Richard.

• 11. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                            ssprengel MVP

Nikon wants to make their products better so they make new camera models every few months.  Every camera's raw format needs to be profiled by Adobe and supported specifically.  Adobe only updates their currently shipping products with new camera support. 

Adobe chooses how often to create pay-for versions of software, in the case of Elements, once a year, so they can continue to generate revenue and pay their employees.  Of course we'd like to buy something once and have it work forever without more payment but that is not realistic in the current economic model we live under. 

If you're feeling trapped by the current system, imagine when, some day, everything will be provided by the government and be "free" but you'll also be told whether you can have a camera and for what purposes, and all your photographs will be the property of the government because your camera was free and you are merely an agent of the government.  Until that time, you pay to own or lease things and have some choice how to use them. 

• 12. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

E11 has only just been superseded by E12 so surely support should be still available.  Office capital equipment legally has to be supported for 5 years after production ceases.

I am all for companies making revenue for their employees. I have been one for 45 years. But due to ill health have not been able to work for several years so paying for many things has not been possible unless they are essential.

The last patronising rant you chucked at me was totally out of order and out of any reasonable comparison Keep your political opinions to yourself. I am extremely upset by your comments.

• 13. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                                John Waller MVP

Office capital equipment legally has to be supported for 5 years after production ceases.

Interesting. First I've ever heard of that.

Do you have any links that I can read up more on it?

It's not the case in Australia that I'm aware of but I'd be curious to learn more about how it works and in which countries it applies.

• 14. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please
                                  ssprengel MVP

Another way to think about things would be:

Initial investment: $100 (full price)

Annual mantenance fee:  $80 (upgrade price)

Support will last as long as the maintenance fee is paid and upgrade versions are produced.

• 15. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

Hi John,

I worked for a major multi-national supplier of office capital equipment and the information was told me there a few years ago. I do not know of an, external to them, site where it can be found. If you have concerns I suggest you contact such a company and ask them for relevant information. I will not disclose the name of my employer for personal security reasons, sorry.

All the best and thanks for your helpful feedback.

Richard.

• 16. Re: I cannot open Nikon NRW Files in Elements 11. Help please

And yet another way to look at it!

There are many companies out there who make similar and sometimes better products on the market in whichever product that might be. Believe it or not, we the public have freedom of choice as to whom we buy from, (radical thought eh).

I and most other consumers will become repeat customers if the product is good, fairly priced, suites our needs and has good back up and customer service. If those parameters are not met we switch to alternative suppliers, simple as that.

The most successful companies acknowledge that fact and strive to meet it. Without at least 50% of their business being from repeat orders they struggle to survive and then cannot only not increase their staffs pay but have to lay them off.

End of debate.