4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 7:42 AM by aliamm

RH 10: not use Master Page in Printed Docs

aliamm

I have a Master Page set up with a company logo and horizontal rules, which works great with the help topics. The problem occurs when I generate printed docs from the source files.

Everything else works well enough to get by (I have some tweaking to do), BUT every single topic shows up with the rules and the company logo. I don't see anywhere to NOT apply the Master Page to the printed output. Is there a secret to not using the online help layout in the printed docs?

thanks,

Alia

• 1. Re: RH 10: not use Master Page in Printed Docs
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Master page headers and footers 100% guaranteed do not survive the trip to printed documentation. My guess is that in the master page your "headers" and "footers" have been created in the body section of the master page.

Create a new topic attaching that master page in the process. Then unlink the master page from that topic. Do you still see the header and footer? If you do, my theory is proved. If you do not, post back.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: RH 10: not use Master Page in Printed Docs
            aliamm Level 1

Thanks, Peter.

I did put the layout elements in what I THOUGHT was the header and footer (ie, outside the body text block), but yes, RH had them as part of the body tag. When I formally viewed the Headers and Footers, then RH put those elements into the Master Page and I was able to insert the layout elements into the proper sections.

For some reason, I don't remember having to go through this process before, but this is the first time I've used this feature with RH10. (I upgraded from RH8 last year.) Did this aspect change in RH10? In previous versions were the header and footer areas showing normally in the Master Page layout so users would know where to specifically place items? If not, I'd suggest that as a feature request for Adobe because the current implementation is not intuitively obvious.

• 3. Re: RH 10: not use Master Page in Printed Docs
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I don't think it changed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: RH 10: not use Master Page in Printed Docs
                aliamm Level 1

Thanks, Peter. If it hasn't changed, then I probably had a senior moment when setting up the Master Page in this new project. It certainly works as expected now... no logos or horizontal rules in the printed docs.