12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 2:53 AM by Weybourne DVD

Low on memory

Weybourne DVD

I have Adobe Premier Elements 10 and am editing a film.  I am now including the narrative and music and a block last appeared 'I am low on memory' then the programme disappeared.

Details of my computer are :-

System

Graphics          6.2

RAM               7.1

Graphics          6.5

Gaming graphics     6.5

Primary hard disk     356GB free (450GB Total)     Base score 5.9

Storage

Total size of hard disk     464GB

Disk partition (C)          356 GB Free (450 GB Total)

Disk partition (D)          2 GB Free (14 GB Total)

Medkia drive (E)          CD/DVD

Look forward to your reply.

Ann

• 1. Re: Low on memory
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assume when you say "film" you actually mean you're editing digital video.

Most out of memory issues are caused by a mismatch or project settings or a need to render.

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system? What are your Project Settings, listed under the Edit menu?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

if you are using photos in your project, have you ensured that they have been resized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels in size?

• 2. Re: Low on memory
            nealeh Level 5

Is your project on that D: partition?

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Low on memory
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

1. In addition to the questions posed, what OS (Operating System) version are you using?
              2. How much physical RAM is installed?
              3. In Windows' Virtual Memory, what is the size of the Page File, and have you set its size, or are you letting Windows manage that dynamically?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Low on memory
                Weybourne DVD Level 1

Dear Bill,

Many thanks for your help.  I give below details of my computer to assist you in finding out my problem :-

AMD A4-5300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD

Subscore

ProcessorGraphics6.2

Memory (RAM)8.00 GB7.1

GraphicsAMD Radeon HD 748OD6.5

Gaming graphics4043 MB Total available graphics memory6.5

Primary hard disk356GB Free (450GB Total)5.9

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s)464 GB

Disk partition (C:)356 GB Free (450 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:)2 GB Free (14 GB Total)

Media Drive (E:)CD/DVD

1.I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 operating system.

2.RAM is 7.1 of 8.00 GB

3.I believe I am letting Windows manage dynamically the size of the Page File - I really don't know what this means.

Ann

• 5. Re: Low on memory
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Weybourne DVD,

Thank you for that information.

One more question, as I did not see it - are you running Windows 32-bit, or 64-bit?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Low on memory

If you are using version 10, then your problems are very likely a mismatch between video and project settings.

But it's hard to say for sure until you answer the questions in my initial post.

• 7. Re: Low on memory
                      Weybourne DVD Level 1

1.The Operating System was Windows 8 but I have just updated to Windows 8.1.

2.My RAM was 8.00 GB of which I now have 7.1 with a primary hard disk of 356GB free (450GB Total)

3.I am not sure what Windows' Virtual Memory is but give the Storage details as follows as I didn't set its size and am probably letting Windows manage that dynamically :-

Total size of hard disk464 GB

Disk partition (C:)356 GB Free (450 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:)2 GB Free (14 GB Total)

Media drive (E:)CD/DVD

Hope I have given you the correct information.

Ann

• 8. Re: Low on memory
                        Weybourne DVD Level 1

Because Adobe Premier Elements 10 is constantly disappearing while I am in the middle of editing I do need answers very urgently and your help in rectifying this fault - the last message was that there was a serious error and that is why it was closed down.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ann

• 9. Re: Low on memory

Again, hard to help you without answers to the questions in my first post.

• 10. Re: Low on memory
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>GraphicsAMD Radeon HD 748OD6.5

Check to be sure you have an up to date AMD/ATI driver

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

Exactly what are you editing?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Does your project match your video... is there a red line over your video BEFORE you do any work?

The 4th & 5th link at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 have information on project settings

• 11. Re: Low on memory
                              Weybourne DVD Level 1

Thank you for your support.  I had a computer company come to update my PC with an update AMD driver and he also checked my file page size.  However, I presume everything was O.K. but when I started to go into Adobe Premier 10 the programme still froze when I wanted to get into Timeline.

I then checked on the forums for information on project settings and found the camera was set for DV PAL, the frame size was 25 frames per second and the frame size was 720 - but all of this information was not in highlighted boxes but  in shaded boxes and very light.  Does this mean anything?

Look forward to hearing from you.

The film we are editing is over an hour in length and the programme keeps freezing halfway when I attempt to go into timeline.

Ann

• 12. Re: Low on memory
                                Weybourne DVD Level 1

I have further checked and we have 1,508 frames on our film - is this usage O.K..?

Ann