12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 10:15 AM by Jiinxs

Stuttering while I edit/view

Jiinxs

I notice sometimes but kinda often that while I editing a video and want to watch what Ive done, the video sometimes stutter.

Frame freezes and then just jump forward a bit.

I just wonder if it's because of my computer isnt up to par when it comes to video editing.

If it mattes the video Im editing is 1920x1080 with audio in them.

And the video is on a regular HDD not and SSD, does that matter much?

It doesn't help to render the timeline either.

Any suggestions?

Is it mainly CPU and RAM speed that have most effect in speed you can render a video?

Program:
      PE12

My pc:

Intel® Core? i5-2500K CPU @3.30GHz
      MSI P67A-GD65 B3, Socket-1155
      Corsair Vengeance? DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9

GeForce GTX 780 3GB

Corsair SSD Force Series? F115, 115GB
      Samsung SpinPoint F4EG 2TB 

• 1. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
          the_wine_snob Level 9

While not a super-computer, you should be able to edit AVCHD pretty smoothly, if all other things are set up properly.

1. What OS version are you running, Win 7, or 8 64-bit?
          2. When you drag your MTS files to the Timeline, is there an initial yellow-orange line ABOVE the Clips, or no colored line?
          3. If you do have that line ABOVE the Clips, when you Render your Timeline (hitting Enter/Return key), does the Timeline play better?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
            Jiinxs Level 1

1) I'm running Windows 8 (not 8.1) 64 bit

2) Is this the line you are refering to?

What does that yellow line mean?

• 3. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
              the_wine_snob Level 9

No, that is the "rubberband" for Keyframing and adjusting an Effect, such as Opacity.

Looking above your Clips, there does not appear to be any colored line above them, so that indicates two things: your Project setting matches your Clips, and that Rendering is not required for smoothest playback.

Here is a look at the colored line, that I was referring to:

Orange_Lines.png

Once, PrE used a RED line to indicate a mis-match, or the need to Render. They changed that to a yellow-orange line, that is almost identical to that rubberband line, and that has cause much confusion. Wish that they had NOT done that.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, one more question - which version of PrE are you using, and is it the 64-bit version?

If the Project setting does match your media files (no colored line), you are using the 64-bit version of PrE on a 64-bit OS, and your computer is adequately fast, the Timeline should play smoothly.

Let's look at your I/O sub-system, i.e. the SSD & HDD. That Samsung SpinPoint is a good HDD, but, if I read correctly, is both a "green" HDD (the EG = Eco-green), and is a 5400 RPM drive. Both of those are weaknesses for digital video editing. Ideally, the HDD should be 7200 RPM, and not a "green" unit, for greatest speed and performance. Were it my computer, I would add a 7200 RPM unit (could be SpinPoint, WD, etc.), for my Projects and media files, and use the SpinPoint EG for archives, etc.

A large SSD would be even faster, but would be expensive, and not sure that one would see a lot or real-time performance gains vs a 7200 RPM, non-green HDD. There would be a difference, but just not sure the uers would see all that much.

How large is your SSD, and how much free space does it have? The reason that I ask is to do a test Project, where your Project and your media, were ON that SSD. I'd do a small version of the one that you have now - maybe only one, or just a few, of your MTS files, with the same Project setting. This would take the SpinPoint out of the mix, and allow you to see if the i5 is capable of playing that test Project's Timeline smoothly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For some discussion on "green" HDD's, Harm Millaard's hardware article (scroll down to I/O) might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jiinxs

Is your SSD set a the Local Disk C?

To what drive did you install Premiere Elements 12? During the installation, did that drive show as the default drive?

From your screenshot, it would appear that there is no colored line over the video content which would imply that you are using the correct project preset for your project.

For the record, you say that you have 1920 x 1080 with audio. What is that 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or something else. Is the audio 2 or 5.1 channel? What is the project preset that you or the program has set? If not sure, what is shown under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate and any other pertinent readings grayed out or not.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                      Jiinxs Level 1

So if there arent any line there isn't any need (or you can't) render the clip?

When there are a orange you can render and it turn's green when it's done?

Thanks for the help.

• 8. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                        Jiinxs Level 1

My OS (Local disc c:) is on the SSD.

Program is installed on a regular HDD

Well if I just read the info from the video file, it says

Framerate: 59 frames/second.

Audio channels: 2 (stereo)

• 9. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                          Jiinxs Level 1

Im not sure how the quoting or answering works on this forum, but Im gonna try again

Im almost pretty maybe sure that I downloaded and installed the 64 bit version.

Couldn't find it on the program where it said if it was a 32 or 64 bit version.

My HDD wasn't bought for the purpus of video edit, only gaming.

But my next one will focus a bit more on video editing.

I have 33 gb free disk space on my SSD.

• 10. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

jiinxs,

So if there arent any line there isn't any need (or you can't) render the clip?

When there are a orange you can render and it turn's green when it's done?

You are correct. If you do not have a colored line above the Clips, then the playback will be as smooth, as is possilbe.

When the orange-yellow line DOES appear above the Clips (say you add an overlay, like a Title, or PiP, or most Transitions betwen them), the Rendering of that portion of the Timeline will turn that colored line green, indicating that one now has smoothest playback.

For more discussion on Rendering, see this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4068277#4068277

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The 33GB free-space is getting rather low. It might not be possible to conduct that test, with the smaller Project.

If you ARE thinking of adding another HDD, I would definitely go with at least a 7200 RPM, non-green drive.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Stuttering while I edit/view
                                Jiinxs Level 1

The clip I got much stuttering in was maybe very badly recorded. Used a program to record stuff I was doing on the desktop.

But I've learned new things about this program either way after all these answer.

Next will be 7200 RPM HDD, didn't know about what it acually ment to buy a green drive, now I do.