14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 7:25 AM by straightlife

Dumb Question about clipboard

straightlife Level 1

Okay, I'm trying to do a whole book in Indesign having only created small booklets.

I need to save a simple stroke I've drawn and paste it in certain places throughout the text as a divider between paragraphs.

I want to save it and be able to access it as I work through the document.

I swear I've searched online and in help but none of the responses seem appropriate.  They're too elaborate.  I just want to save and acces the thing. 

Is there a simple clipboard that remembers several "saves" back?  And shows me what I've saved and allows me to paste it when I need to? 'cause I can't find it.

I'm using CC on a mac.

• 1. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Save it as a snippet, or put it in a library, OR make it a single cahracter custom font: Adobe Community: [Ann] IndyFont Demo: make your own (1 character) font

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@straightlife,

As I love to tell my students, there is no such thing as a dumb question. It's just a question you haven't gotten a satisfactory answer for.

• 3. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
              HeyMikey Level 3

If you go to the Master Page (or every Master Page if you're using many), you can add a 'slug' area to any or all sides of the page. To add a slug area, go to Document Setup, and if the "More" button shows, click that and you'll get your Bleed and Slug fields, where you can define the size of either. If you then copy and paste your stroke in the slug area of your Master(s), it will be available on all pages which use those Masters. Go to your pages, and simply Command/Control-click your object to release it from the Master. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

-Mikey

• 4. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                straightlife Level 1

Save it as a snippet, or put it in a library, OR make it a single cahracter custom font: Adobe Community: [Ann] IndyFont Demo: make your own (1 character) font

I really feel stupid now.

first I tried saving a snippet.

After I found out what a snippet is.

So I saved it as a snippet.

But now I can't figure out how to access it.

To add a slug area, go to Document Setup, and if the "More" button shows, click that and you'll get your Bleed and Slug fields, where you can define the size of either. If you then copy and paste your stroke in the slug area of your Master(s), it will be available on all pages which use those Masters. Go to your pages, and simply Command/Control-click your object to release it from the Master. Hope this helps!

I went to my master page.  I went to document setup. I created a slug field.  But where is it?  I can't find it.

Oh, Indesign is SOOOO hard.

and I've worked in it for a few years, photoshop many years, After Effects many man years.  This is the least intuitive and the hardest. 

All the help stuff assumes you know where to find things like snippets and slug fields.  I'm gonna start crying in a minute.

• 5. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                  straightlife Level 1

Okay.  hysteria averted.  I figured out how to view the slug field.  I figured out how to apply the stroke to the slug field of the master page.  I'm happy now.  Thanks very much.

• 6. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                    John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The slug is an empty area above and below the document spread. It's not a field. For your purposes it's just more pasteboard, which by the way, you could just use rather than adding slug.

• 7. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                      straightlife Level 1

Oh, nertz.  The dratted thing is in the slug field of every page but it can't be selected and copied and pasted!  Oh!

• 8. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                        straightlife Level 1

Thanks, John, but I've put it in the pasteboard area, and when I scroll down through all my pages it gets left behind.

And it doesn't work in the slug aread, because, as I said, it won't copy and paste.

• 9. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

It's on the master pages, if so Ctrl+Shift+mouse click to select the item.

• 10. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

straightlife wrote:

I really feel stupid now.

first I tried saving a snippet.

After I found out what a snippet is.

So I saved it as a snippet.

Snippets can be "Placed" like graphics or text files, and they can be dragged int the document from Bridge or MiniBridge (which can be left open in your workspace). You should also read about libraries in the Help files, this might suit you better -- they're the precursor to snippets. Libraries are a panel filled with objects you create and you can leave the library open and drag stuff out of when you need it.

But the most elegant solution really would be the one-character custom font. You could set up a style to use that font and apply it to your dividers, then you just have to press the key for the character you chose apply the style, and press enter.

• 11. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                              straightlife Level 1

I finally understood that I have to go back to the master page slug aread to select and copy it!

• 12. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                                straightlife Level 1

Peter, I don't know where my "user scripts" are located.  I've looked for scripts and all I find are Adobe scripts.  I'm on a newish imac running Mountain Lion.  I haven't used scripts in ages and have forgotten EVERYTHING.

• 13. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Scripts are added if they are saved (in the Finder) in the same folder as the InDesign Application is in the Script folder.

Snippets can easily be created if you open Bridge (as you should always do when you work with InDesign or Photoshop or Illustrator) an drag an item or several items to any place you choose. You can use them again by dragging them back to the document.

• 14. Re: Dumb Question about clipboard
                                    straightlife Level 1

I will open bridge.  truth is I never use it so there's a new learning curve.

I'm just operating as a newbie and there's so much I don't know and yet I'm on a deadline.  I'll look up snippets today.  Meanwhile I've gotten rid of the line separator and am using a zapf dingbat character (which ought to work better because it flows with the text) and I've created a character style which is totally accessible.

Although at first it was really wonky when I selected the style because it substituted a different font which didn't work.  But then I noticed a message when I applied the style that said I could override the override and use the style I'd created, so at first I always had to choose to override the override and finally it started working as I wanted it to.  Like I said, whewww. A hard hard program.  After Effects is simple in comparison.  Anyway, thanks everybody so much for your help. You're gonna see me here whining and begging for a couple weeks at least.