5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 1:48 PM by George_Johnson

Prevent Save-As

tompen01 Level 1

Is there a way to prevent a save-as of a PDF? This is not regarding a PDF on a website, but rather, a PDF (like a fillable form) sent via email to someone. Want to prevent printing and editing (easy enough), but can't find a way to prevent a "save as."

Help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Prevent Save-As
          Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

You cannot stop any file from being saved, reused, shared, forwarded.

• 2. Re: Prevent Save-As
            George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What is it that you're trying to achieve by doing this? For example, some want to prevent users from saving a filled-in form. If you provide your reasons, there may be other approaches you can take that may address them sufficiently.

• 3. Re: Prevent Save-As
              tompen01 Level 1

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply.

Reason for wanting the "save" and "save-as" functions in a PDF to be unavailable: My company has web-based enterprise software that our clients use behind our firewall, secure. I have designed a PDF instruction manual the user can click on when in the software behind the firewall to get help when needed. The potential problem (per my Developers): If a user tries to do a "save as" of the PDF, he/she may be able to "see" our network drives. I'm not a Developer, so I don't understand this issue, but I have to assume they know what they're talking about. It doesn't look possible to stop a save-as in Acrobat, but if there's some other software that provides a true "read only" interface (that is, view, but no printing, no editing, no saving allowed), my Developers can set up the link to the PDF behind our firewall to allow only that specific read-only application to view the PDF.

Make any sense?

Regards,

Tom

• 4. Re: Prevent Save-As
                tompen01 Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

• 5. Re: Prevent Save-As
                  George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

That sounds very odd. If they can see the network drives when doing a Save As in Acrobat, what's preventing them from seeing them otherwise? A question for the developers/admins, not you.