2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 11:07 AM by Yann_Lejeune

New PC for After effects Cs5.5, Cs6 and probably very soon CC

Yann_Lejeune Level 1

I want to buy a new computer in the folliwng days/weeks.

I use essentially After Effects (also Photoshop, Illustrator and Cinema 4D)

I had planned to buy the following pc configuration:

- CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K (3.4 GHz)

- MB: ASUS P9X79 PRO

- RAM: (32 Go or 64 Go  ?)  G.Skill RipJaws Z Series 64 Go (8 x 8 Go) DDR3 2133 MHz CL11  (cerrtified by Asus for this MB)

- GPU: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD - GeForce GTX 770 4 Go

- POWER: Be Quiet ! Alimentation Dark Power Pro 10-850W 80PLUS Platinum

- HDD (for OSD and programms): Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512 Go

- HDD (for current project and AE cache): Samsung SSD 840 PRO 512 Go

- Stockage HDD: 2X Seagate Desktop SSHD 2 To

I would to know if I made mistake(s) about this configuration if experienced AE users have suggestions for me ?

Notable relating to:

-1- 32 or 64 GO RAM

-2- GPU choice

-3- CPU choice:

-4- I planned to buy two SDD (Samsung 840 Pro 512 Go): one ofr the OS and one for the current project and the AE cache. Is it useful ?

Could I buy only one SSD (for the OS AND for the current project and the AE cache) ?

I would be happy to get your suggestions or user experience about this configuration.No one ever wants to waste money.

Cheers

Yann

• 1. Re: New PC for After effects Cs5.5, Cs6 and probably very soon CC
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing anything about your work it is impossible to judge these things specifically. Generally I'd say you are hopelessly overdoing it with the GPU. I don't know a single use case that actually uses 4 GB on any graphics card except for games. Most OpenGL plug-ins in AE are limited to 2 GB and while this of course could change in the future, currently I see no realistic scenario to push it beyond that, because in most cases then the plug-ins will simply crash due to bugs or their internal logic not being able to deal with more VRAM. Likewise you will see zero benefit of this in C4D unless you use a GPU third-party renderer like Octane. C4D's OpenGL performance will collapse on itself long before you have filled all the memory with textures... Similarly, I see no advantage of 64GB RAM over 32GB. I do heavy CAD scenes all the time, but still have enough room left on my systems with 24 and 32GB, respectively. AE won't use that much RAM even with all MP settings at full on most projects as well. Having the fastest CPU is another matter and many functions in AE, PS and C4D are of course pur CPU and will work faster on a faster processor. With regards to the cache stuff, scroll down a few posts and make up your mind...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: New PC for After effects Cs5.5, Cs6 and probably very soon CC
            Yann_Lejeune Level 1

Thank you a lot Myllenium.

II thought to buy 64 Go RAm because some AE users wrote on forums this si helpful.

I will search the post relating to the AE cache