1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 6:00 PM by MW Design

How can I setup formatted (font/size) placeholder text throughout a document that can be replaced

bananacake13

Hi all,

We have long been using Corel Ventura 10 for our big projet and have decided its time for a change.

We need to setup our design in indesign with placeholder text, and then import a text file that will replace certain text. We have about 300 differnet versions/text files.

How would be go about setting this up.

• 1. Re: How can I setup formatted (font/size) placeholder text throughout a document that can be replaced
          MW Design Level 4

Hello BC13,

Are the source files regular word processor and/or ASCII (they would be tagged inside them) or Ventura's XML format?

If you are using VP's normal tagged type of files, it may be possible for you to convert them to ID's tagged text format with a bit of judicious search and replaces in an editor, or program a solution. If you would like to see what each format is like, just create a frame for text in ID, fill it with placeholder text. Then create a few styles, apply them to the text. Export from InDesign to ID Tagged Text Format and open it in a text editor. Open one of your VP files and compare the tagging to see what would be involved.

My XP computer is on the other side of the state and cannot get to my VP files for reviewing. If you would like, you can send me a private message (click on my name and do it from my profile) with a link to a ZIP containing one or more source files and I could take a look at what it would take to convert them to ID's tagged text format.

Mike