4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 9:59 AM by gener7

Import/Export presets list is empty

WishingStar5

I am using the most recent version of photoshop CC, 14.2 64-bit under Windows 7, I was optimizing the menus/shortcuts/workspaces/tools for my needs, and wanted to make a backup of my settings/presets on a flash drive to take on the go. When I go to Edit --> Presets --> Export/Import Presets, the list shows up empty and I am unable to do this.

So as a summary:

PS 14.2 x64 under Win7

Changed multiple settings and presets

Export presets list empty

I checked inside the PS folder in Program Files, my settings (well, at least actions and brushes) are showing up as unique files, but somehow aren't picked up by "export presets"

• 1. Re: Import/Export presets list is empty
          littleBug Level 1

I am having the same issue in Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 on Windows 8.1 The list under "Your Presets" is empty so I can't export anything. I need to transfer actions, brushes, layer effects, and other custom settings to a new PC.

The only workaround I've found is go into each and EVERY window and manually save settings for each and EVERY item. I know I'm going to miss something somewhere.

• 2. Re: Import/Export presets list is empty
            gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you transferring to CC 2014 or CC 2015?

If between same versions, use Preferences > Sync > Upload, then on the destination: Preferences > Sync > Download.

• 3. Re: Import/Export presets list is empty
              littleBug Level 1

Nope, I upgraded to CC 2015 on the new PC. But, I think I found the bug.

On my old photoshop, under the presets folder, there are no saved presets. All the sub-folders are empty, but I have a lot of custom actions, shapes, brushes and other things in photoshop.

C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Presets

I believe the reason for this is that you can drag-and-drop an action, shape, or brush directly into photoshop while it's running to install these items. None of mine, even items I've created in Photoshop, ever got saved to these folder.

I've since manually saved, moved, and installed the stuff I needed (Urgh! What a pain) to the new PC. This time I put them in the preset sub-folder instead of dropping them on the app. Now the preset list in the new PC is populated. In my opinion, the program should not penalize users for taking the easy route of just dropping 3rd party presets onto the app. I hope this is just a bug.

• 4. Re: Import/Export presets list is empty
                gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Littlebug,

I'm glad you were able to get it working. I usually place third party presets into My Documents/Presets/<Preset subfolders> and simply point each new generation of Photoshop to them.

It's a long time since I dragged and dropped Presets, but I had better look into where they go. I'm using a Mac.

Have you looked at the Edit > Presets > Migrate command in CC 2015? It's supposed to move Presets from CC 2014 to CC 2015 even if the CC 2014 program is uninstalled. Custom Presets are never uninstalled in Photoshop.

Gene

1 person found this helpful