5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 1:47 PM by egeller7

Pairing Fonts

egeller7 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I could be wrong about this thing alltogeather, although this could be a great feature for me.

I think I read once that it's possible to define font pairs.

What I mean is, that when I sellect a certain Hebrew font and then change the keyboard to English, instead of getting the default font, I get a font I defined, that is visually compatible with the Hebrew font I chose, and vice versa.

Now, I could be all wrong about this and this feature is not available, and I only misunderstood or not remembering correctly something I read.

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Pairing Fonts
          Doc Maik Level 4

Just for my understanding:

What latin font would be visually compatible to any hebrew font?

How can switching keyboard layout of Windows (?) change the currently selected font in ID? I don't know the ME version, if you have it, but the non-ME doesn't do so.

• 2. Re: Pairing Fonts
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

One example is Myriad Hebrew which pairs nicely with Myriad Pro!

And Adobe Hebrew goes reasonably well with Minion Pro. In fact, the latin glyphs in the Adobe Hebrew font are derived from the Minion family.

- Dov

• 3. Re: Pairing Fonts
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've seen people make composite fonts for these purposes. Composite fonts, where you take glyphs for one script from one font and glyphs from another script from another font, are usually used with Chinese fonts (for which the Latin-script glyphs are traditionally garbage). But I've also seen composite fonts used with SE Asian and Arabic scripts, where you run into the same problem when working with multilingual documents - ugly Latin-script glyphs. So that might be what you're looking for.

The only problem with using composite fonts is that usually the interface is only in Japanese and Chinese. World Tools Pro from in-tools.com will give you a good English interface for making your own composite fonts.

Alternately, I sometimes use GREP styles to define all glyphs within a given Unicode range to use another font.

But, really, the best solution is to just pick a Hebrew font that has attractive Latin glyphs, where a good type designer has made all of these choices for you.   Adobe's recent RTL and East Asian offerings have been surprisingly good in this regard. I just have to call out Huronia by Ross Mills here, because it's a font that is decidedly not mainly intended for Latin-script usage, but the Latin glyphs are great, and do a really good job of looking good next to the Inuktitut. I'd argue that this is what you want - one really good font that has the right language coverage for your projects. Everything else is just a duct-tape hack.

• 4. Re: Pairing Fonts
                egeller7 Level 1

Well Doc, Dov gave you two examples.
                There are quite a few more, since there are Israeli based font foundries that produce visually compatible fonts in English and Hebrew.

And besides that I can go to the basics just to prefer a san-serif Hebrew font to go with a san-serif Latin font rather than a serif one.

What I meant by switching the keyboard was actually switching the language not the layout.

I think an image will do a better job at illustrating what I mean.

Here I chose a Hebrew font called 'Rimona' and typed Hebrew and English texts:

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 23.15.25.png

Now, this font has a sibling English font called 'Rimona English', I used it to fix the text:

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 23.16.51.png

What I'd love to be able to do is to define that whenever I use the font 'Rimona' InDesign would know the when I change the language to English, the default font to use is 'Rimona English'.

Hope I'm better understood now.

• 5. Re: Pairing Fonts
                  egeller7 Level 1

Hey Joel, I guess you gave me the answer I was looking for.

GREP styles seems a bit cumbersome to me, but maybe practice makes it easier to use.

However, the solution I was reffering to was actually Composite fonts and InDesign CC has this feature built in (at least the ME version has it).

Thanks,

Eli