7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 11:07 PM by Migintosh

Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override

The Gothamite Level 1

Hey everyone,

I have come in need for help. And it concerns Master Pages, because these things confuse me. I can work InDesign just fine to the extent where I can lay out a book and everything, but when it comes to Master Page behaviour, I am completely stumped. I am fairly certain that I have overlooked something really basic, but I seriously can't figure out what it is for the life of me. So here are a couple of questions:

1. Every now and then, I need to do a rather basic document that is has one Master Page A followed by a lot of Master Page Bs. Can I automate this somehow that I can have it add B-Masters after the one A-Master? Because for some reason, it adds A-Masters to the one A-Master.
      2. Is there a way to not have to manually override all Master Page Items every time I add a new page?
      3. This regular publication of mine, it has various, numbered chapters. So chapter 1 is News, and if the news is "New thread in Adobe Forum", then that would be labelled as "1.1 New Thread in Adobe Forum". And there would be like ten news items and the last would be "1.10 The World has ended, but we all missed it." Chapter 2 is the magazine part, so we'd have the title "2. Magazine" and then "2.1 The Article about Stuff!" until "2.5 The Article about things." How can I automate this sort of hierarchy of numbering that continues throughout a document?

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

1. Create a single B-based page after the A starter, hold the Alt/Opt key while you place the text on the A page, then switch to the Shift key and click on the B page. All the new added pages will be B-based. As an alternative, don't hold any key whicl pacing onthe first page, then add a B-based Page, pick up the overset from the outport on the A page and hold shift while placing on the new page.

2.  You should never have to overrride all maaster page items, ever. If you are overriding master items you need to re-evaluate why they are on the master page. There are some legitimate reassons for overrriding master objects, but not a lot.

3. Read up on Numbered Lists. This can be done with two paragraph styles that are different levels of the same list. The style applied to the chapter name can be used to reset/advance the second level, applied to the articles, and it doesn't need to show the number unless you want it to.

• 2. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
            The Gothamite Level 1

Thanks for your great reply, Peter! #1 and #3 worked like a charm.

One question, though, concerning #2. When I have a text field on my Master, into which I want to paste the text and then format it. I put a text field onto the Master, apply the Master to the page and then the text field can't be edited. How do I make it editable by default? Because that would make things considerably easier in the long run.

• 3. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
              Migintosh Level 4

What do you gain by having that particular text field on the master page? That's the question to ask yourself. For example, users who came to InDesign after having used QuarkXPress expected to have text frames (what Quark called Text Boxes) on the master page if they wanted to flow (or auto-flow) text throughout a document, but InDesign doesn't require that. ID will create new text frames on each page as needed if you want the text frames to snap to the page margins. You just need to hold the Shift key when you place.

But, if you just want the text frame to cover part of the page, then a master text frame might be a good idea. For example, suppose this was your basic template:

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 2.14.54 AM.png

You might think that a more narrow text frame on the master pages is necessary, but you could also move your inner margin in and let InDesign create page-based text frames on the fly. On the other hand, if you had a single story that you wanted to flow through the red text frames in the inner margin, that might be a good thing to use Master frames for. All you need to do for that to work is to hold the Shift key when placing the story in the first frame and click right in the center of the frame (that will release the frame and allow you to place content into it). When the frame is full, it will flow into the next frame, and if there isn't one, it will create a new page and use the frame from the master page. If you have a facing-page document, you need to link the frames on both sides of the master spread to each other, or you will only get left or right pages only.

The advantage of having master items is that you can change something on the master page and the items on the document pages will change with them. But, anything you do to an item on the document page will strip that ability from that item. For example, if you change the size of one of the red frames on the document page, it's size won't change if you change the size of the item on the master page, but the master items on document pages that weren't changed will.

Does that help, or can I make anything more clear?

• 4. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
                Doc Maik Level 4

Master pages content is not available when working on a normal page, so no chance.

• 5. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Doc Maik wrote:

Master pages content is not available when working on a normal page, so no chance.

Depends on what you mean by not avaialble....

First, you can always place caontent into an empty master frame from the document page by clicking the loaded cursor inside it. In the case of text frames this is the correct method if you are going to use autoflow as overridding first will remove the overridden frame from the master pages thread and subsequent frames added will all be full column and the master frames on mew pages will still be in place behind everything else.

I said earlier there was never a reason to override ALL master page objects. That's not quite the same as saying there's never a reason to override ANY master page object, though as I also said if you find yourself doing it, you have to question if your reasons for putting the object on the master page were sound. I don't see that Michael covered how to override and edit a master object, so I guess I should do that now.

On Mac, hold down Cmd + Shift, on Windows Ctrl + Shift and select the object(s) you want to override. Sometimes it's easier to select an empty frame by dragging through it with the cursor while you hold the keys. Once overridden, any attribute you edit on the document page will lose its connection tot he master object and will no longer update if you edit the object on the master page.

• 6. Re: Master Pages - Flow to Next Pages and Override
                    The Gothamite Level 1

That was a brilliant answer. Thank you so much. You see, while I can work with inDesign just fine and everything's nice when I'm done, the precise function of Master Pages has always somewhat eluded me. I knew what they were there for and what they could do, I just didn't know how they did it and then I was amazed at the seemingly random behaviour of them at times. And now I've read your post... it makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!