3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 12:11 AM by Sean_Wilson

is it possible to put a graphic directly over a video sprite

rechtut Level 1

Hi All,

I have not used the Director since MX - it is good to get back.

A couple of general question, please:

• With Dir12 is it now possible to put an image directly over a video sprite reproducing/playing in QT?
      • Is it possible to put videos on top of each other?
      • If possible, is there a significant performance impact on the video?
      • Is QuickTime still the primary choice for reproducing HD videos?

if I remember correctly all this was possible before, but only if one turned OFF "direct to stage" option...and that used to result in absurdly poor playback.

Video capabilities (or lack of them) was the reason I migrated to Flash in the first place. It would be so good to know that Dir uped its game since then.

thanx in advance

• 1. Re: is it possible to put a graphic directly over a video sprite
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
          • With Dir12 is it now possible to put an image directly over a video sprite reproducing/playing in QT?

D12 brings nothing new. You can use a 1-bit mask to punch a hole in a QT member/sprite and display images through it, but this is QT only. You can also use MIAWs without window chrome to display video/images.

• Is it possible to put videos on top of each other?

Again, nothing has changed - see above options.

• If possible, is there a significant performance impact on the video?

Not if you use MIAWs for layering video/images. Maintaining layering can then become problematic though. Masks come without a performance hit, although...

• Is QuickTime still the primary choice for reproducing HD videos?

Absolutely not. Flash video or MP4 is now the best option. No need for a player install, good performance, ...

• 2. Re: is it possible to put a graphic directly over a video sprite
            rechtut Level 1

Thanks Sean for a thourough answer.

A follow up, if I may:

You are very clear on flashVide vs. QT.

I am doing an instalation with 2160x1920 video, in highest quality possible. I can do this in flash or in director. My primary concern is video preformance/quality.

In the past, working with FLASH (given careful encodes and high-end GPUs) I always got only so-so results on playback. I imagine that using flashVid within Dir12 will be more of the same...if not worse.

QTplayer  used to be a leaner, meaner, faster especialy with native .mov files. I am hoping that this is still the case.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SENSE IF I AM BARKING UP A WRONG TREE?

DO YOU THINK ONE CAN SQUEZZE MORE MORE PERFORMANCE FROM DIRECTOR THEN FLASH?

cheers!

• 3. Re: is it possible to put a graphic directly over a video sprite
              Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

Try both options and see how they perform - both should be able to play an MP4 H.264 video file