3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2014 3:38 PM by Ned Murphy

Embedded SWF not working after folder move

adejones

Hi everyone

Now I am not a flash developer, know very little if anything about flash so please be gentle.

I have recently done some work on a website for a client, one page had a SWF embedded.

The SWF was an image of a team, when a team member was hovered over, their details would display, the details being pulled in from a secondary file.

When I moved the site to a different folder, the hover action no longer worked, the 2 files are still together in the new folder but no matter what, it just doesnt pull in the details.

I paid someone to look in to this for me and decompile the SWF to take a look but apparently the SWF crashed every decompiler they tried.

Could anyone please advise?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Embedded SWF not working after folder move
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How were the two files located folder-wise relative to the html page before and after you moved them?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Embedded SWF not working after folder move
            adejones Level 1

Originally they were in the root directory along with the .html page so the object just liked to "filename.swf".

I have not re-developed the website as a Wordpress theme and have tried the files in the theme directory using "siteurl.com/wp-content/themes/themename/filename.swf" and also in the root directory using "siteurl.com/filename.swf" - the swf displays fine no matter where it is, but the hover action that pulls in the text does not.

• 3. Re: Embedded SWF not working after folder move
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is best to keep the relative location of all files involved the same as when things worked properly.  Otherwise you have to adjust the targeting for the move.  An swf file needs to target files it loads as if it is sitting in the html page's folder, regardless of where it actually lives. 

If the files all used to be in the html file's folder, if you removed them to another folder, when the html file is displaying the swf, the swf is as good as in that folder again and is still trying to target the file it loads as if it is in the same folder as the html file still.  You would need to adjust that targeting to include the folder were the other file lives.

1 person found this helpful