1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 8:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements recognizes video file as audio file

Unitedmoviemaker

Hello all!

Let me explain a bit of a background to this problem. I held a live stream on Twitch and saved the stream by using another site (that saved the files in FLV). I went into VLC to convert them, but the first time, I converted them as MP4 (which PE9 recognized as a video without an audio track). I then tried to convert the FLVs to ASF, but then I get the problem in PE9 where they're only considered audio when VLC and WMP play it as video.

I've searched around and it seems like no one else has had a similar problem to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements recognizes video file as audio file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It is very likely that your conversion choices involve CODEC's, that PrE cannot handle.

Can you convert to a DV-AVI Type II, in the conversion program, as a test?

If not, then please run your final converted file through either G-Spot, or MediaInfo, to determine which CODEC was used for the problem video.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - some players, like VLC, contain many CODEC's for playback, that are not installed on the system, and many of those, even if installed, would not work with PrE.