• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing JPEG into Illustrator - Images not at the actual scale.

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi everyone,

I'm trying to import some JPEG images into illustrator to add a very simple vector graphic over the top of some of them. The prolem is that when I import the images the don't appear at the same resolution as they should be. The images are all 600px x 400px 72dpi but when I import them into illustrator the software is readinig them (via the w & h dimensions in my illy browser) as 144px x 96px. Does anyone know why this would be? The odd thing is that when I export them from Illustrator they're showing as 600x400px images again. Is this somethign to do with my import settings or preferences?

Cheers,

Alan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator reads and interprets the ppi. Are you really sure it's 72 ppi?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your response. I think you're right, they're 300 instead of 72 but why would that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone must have edited that in an image editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's easy enough to fix! Right click on the jpg file and choose Properties (Windows) or Get Info (OSX). Look at the dimensions listed, select the jpg in AI and type the dimensions into the Width and Height boxes at the top of your Illustrator toolbar. Constraining the proportions can help to make the process quick and painless. Here's a screen shot of the dialogue:
Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 12.15.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this FluentAdobe. It's now displaying the image at its native resolution, without any distortion. Can I ask why Illustrator interpreted the image as smaller than it is? Is this to do with the ppi measurement that Monika is referring to? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the pictures in Photoshop and look at their sizes in centimetres or inches.

Pixels are not units of measure – you can have as many pixels per inch as you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, I get it (I think). Ha, it kind of all makes sense now. So as with an HD resolution you can have that on a 20" or 40" screen but it's only showing the pixel density, rather than the size of image.

But I still don't get why I'm sometimes asked for graphics at a certain pixel size. If I'm tasked with creating graphics at 600px x 400px what measurement should I actually be looking to reference? I'd usually set up my canvas at 600px x 400px and create vextor images at that size but if it's not a size then what size image am I actually creating? I'm aware that vectors are infinatly scalable here but that's not really what I'm asking about.

Sorry if this is confused babble! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're asked for 600 x 400 pixels, create just that. Resolution won't change anything to it.

But in Illustrator, if you export a raster image, don't set resolution to anything else than 72 ppi in the export dialog box or Illustrator will resize your image to different pixel dimensions. There's a couple of threads on that in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK so on that basis importing images into Illy (for screen) should be set to 72ppi to keep their resolution. So a 600px x 400px image at 72ppi will display as a 600px x 400px image in illustrator and if exported (with grraphics overalyed) at 72ppi will yield a 600px x 400px final image? Right? I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to http://www.wundes.com/JS4AI/ and download "To100Pct". That's what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines