14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2017 8:32 AM by RBIGibby

'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?

viscon2

'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?

Thank you for any help with this,

TB

• 1. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Make the change in the output module template and use the modified output module template as the default.

You can set any output module template to be the default:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/basics-rendering-exporting.html#output_modules_ and_output_module_settings

• 2. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
            viscon2 Level 1

Thanks Todd - I looked there already. Where is the save in subfolder option ?

TB

• 3. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
              Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

The Save in Subfolder option does not appear in the File Name and Location Template dialog. This control only appears in the Save As dialog and does two things:

1. It reflects whether or not a folder path is defined in the template currently being used.
              2. It allows you to set or edit a folder path without having to choose or edit a template.

What Todd suggests is that you change the default an output name template to one that does not contain a folder path.

The only case in which After Effects will assign a template with a folder path by default (assuming you have not changed the defaults) is when the output format is a still image sequence (JPEG, PNG, PSD, TIFF, Targa, etc.). In this case, After Effects automatically applies the Comp Folder and Name template. This is going to happen regardless of what template you set as the default. The only way to override this behavior is to save a new template with the name "Comp Folder and Name", which will overwrite the existing template.

The ability to define file paths as part of the output name and templates is new in After Effects CC (12.2). You can read more about this new feature here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new-12-2.html#file-name-ae

If there are changes you'd like to see to how After Effects usese output name templates, please submit a feature request.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                viscon2 Level 1

Tim, yes, I am outputting still images.  Sometimes 10 and more, they all end up in subfolders now. 

It is really annoying when settings/features are added that just assume a specific work process - without an option to turn them off (or complicated work arounds).  And even more annoying when I am asked to submit a feature request after adobe randomly changes things.

TB

• 5. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                  viscon2 Level 1

ok, figured it out.  not sure why defaults have to be changed.

• 6. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> And even more annoying when I am asked to submit a feature request after adobe randomly changes things.

It wasn't a random change; it was one of the most requested features of the past few years. If you don't like the current default, you now know how to change it.

• 7. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?

It is really annoying when settings/features are added that just assume a specific work process - without an option to turn them off (or complicated work arounds).  And even more annoying when I am asked to submit a feature request after adobe randomly changes things.

This was not a random change. The ability to render image sequences into a sub-folder was a feature request that we have received many many times over the years. Many After Effects users, myself included, sometimes forget to manually create a folder for an image sequence with the result of hundreds or thousands of files exploding into the renders folder or your desktop or wherever the render was saved to.

We answered not only this common feature request but extended the functionality to all formats by the following:

• Adding the Save in Subfolder control to create a folder for any output module
                      • Adding support for creating and using folder paths in output file name templates (which naturally interacts with the Save in Subfolder control)
                      • Adding a new output file name template that creates a folder, which is used by default for image sequences

All of these additions were vetted by actual After Effects users before we released the After Effects CC (12.2) update.

not sure why defaults have to be changed.

Perhaps I didn't answer your original question directly: there is not a simple option to stop Save in Subfolder from being enabled when you choose an image sequence format. This would be an additional control on top of the rest of this new functionality. It's not something we thought was necessary as part of the original design of these changes, but we could be convinced to add it in the future. So if you (or anyone else) would like to see this added, please submit a feature request.

The reason why you can get the result you want by changing default output file name template is because that is how the logic works in After Effects. Choosing an image sequence format triggers the use of the Comp Folder and Name template. Changing what that template contains will apply your new rules instead.

Regardless of the template, you can always change the output file path on a case-by-case basis by simply unchecking Save in Subfolder or by choosing a different output file name template.

• 8. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                        fruityth1ng Level 1

That said, when I duplicate a render job that had "save to subfolder" disabled, OR the file name & location template adjusted, After Effects happily enables it again. Looks like a bug to me.

• 9. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?

fruityth1ng wrote:

That said, when I duplicate a render job that had "save to subfolder" disabled, OR the file name & location template adjusted, After Effects happily enables it again. Looks like a bug to me.

When you duplicate an Output Module the output file name template is not preserved, and is reset to the default for the format of the Output Module. This happens regardless of what that format is, or what settings the output file name template was using.

That's not to say you couldn't call this behavior a bug, it's just that it would fall into the "unimplemented behavior" class of bugs. If you'd like to see this functionality added, please file a feature request.

• 10. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                            fruityth1ng Level 1

Tim (& Todd) - thanks for your patience

I have filed said feature request, here's hoping it will make it down to a release one day!

PS: I was grungy writing that message, because I just had to dig into that option every iteration I hold After Effects to high ui standards, as, together with Maya and Notational Velocity, it is one of the best ui's I know (taking into account a learning curve!). So there, I was being harsh out of love, honestly

• 11. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                              RaidenWarbound Level 1

And what about those who don't do image sequences? I've just noticed this too. Producers and Production Managers couldn't find video files they needed as they are used to just seeing a MOV of MP4 file instead of some random generated folder and name. I was also baffled but thankfully through this amusing post, i've found out what to do. haha!

• 12. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                                cmatts@cmatts.com

how do you fix this?

i just wasted an hour on this

i also found this link Change default to not save in subfolder : Adobe After Effects

but the solution there didn't work for me.

this was not a prob in 2015.0.x but is in 2015.2

• 13. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                                  cmatts@cmatts.com Level 1

how did you fix this?

Part of my work flow is to use ae to make static titles, so if i need to make 18 versions of titles with similar layout, it (was) easier for me to create in ae, drop one comp into the render que to set output location, and then drop all the others in the render que. hit render, done.

Now  I have about #of comps X2 more steps.

i have to drag everything to the render que,

select every comp's output module - select my custom setting that doesn't create a folder,

then for each one, click the output name to choose its output location.

then hit render.

• 14. Re: 'save in subfolder' - how to turn off by default ?
                                    RBIGibby

Just a heads up, I ran into this issue this week and found out that if you have a "/" in your comp name and send it to the render queue, after effect with interpret it as a subfolder and automatically check the "Save in Subfolder" box. So don't put a "/" in your file name and it should fix the problem (as long as you have already set your "output to" default back to Comp name). Hope this helps.

Ryan

Ryan Gibson on Vimeo