5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 2:14 PM by Josh_Corey

Download a PDF and edit

Colinwillson

how can I edit a PDF I have downloaded?

Also, if I cant edit it, how do i get the link so I can put it on my website?

When I go to myforms, i can't click on the "copy fillable form link"...??

• 1. Re: Download a PDF and edit
          Josh_Corey Adobe Employee

Hi;

It sounds like you are using the "Import PDF" feature where you uploaded a PDF form that you  already had (a form not created in FormsCentral).

When you import a PDF it does not create an online fillable form or give you a web link/URL.  You can distribute the PDF that you download from FormsCentral via Email or by providing a link to download the PDF from your own web site. 

We recommend against posting the PDF on a web site to be filled out in a browser - see this FAQ for more info: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-4142

We would recommend if you post the PDF on a website that you give the user instruction to download the PDF and fill it out and Submit using the Free Adobe Reader and provide them the link get.adobe.com/reader/

Regarding Editing the PDF you download from FormsCentral in Acrobat see this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3661

Thanks,

Josh

• 2. Re: Download a PDF and edit
            Colinwillson Level 1

Thanks Josh,

Here is my situation… I have my website and I need clients to fill in a govt form http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf

If on my website I have my fill in application form, I can save that information to excel later and the documents are kept on the formscentral website… there is no way of doing this with the downloaded PDF?

So my only option is to have the client leave my site and go to the IRS site, fill it in, print it, scan it and then email it back to me?

Thanks,

Colin

• 3. Re: Download a PDF and edit

I may not be clear on what you have already done and what you are looking for but I will take another shot...

To use FormsCentral with that government form you would download that PDF yourself and "Import" it into FormsCentral.  This would not provide a link to the form, but would "Enable" the PDF to submit the data back to FormsCentral for you to view and analyze on the View Responses and Summary Report tabs.  You could export responses to Excel or PDF, and also in a Paid account download the response as PDF which downloads the PDF that looks like the original filled out by the user.

Please see this tutorial on the Import PDF feature: http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2654

As I noted before, you would not want to post the PDF on your website like the IRS site does, we recommend against doing that since you cannot guarantee that your users will view it with Adobe Reader, instead you would post a Download link to the PDF that users would download from your web site and would fill out using Adobe Reader, when they click "Submit" the data is sent to FormsCentral and you can view it on the View Responses tab.

I hope that better answers the question...

Thanks,

Josh

• 4. Re: Download a PDF and edit
                Colinwillson Level 1

Okay, so I have saved various PDF’s I have downloaded. Now how do insert the submit-enabled PDF file for distribution?

Do I just send the saved files on my hard drive over to my web designer?

Thanks,

Colin

• 5. Re: Download a PDF and edit

Yes - assuming you mean a PDF you saved/downloaded from FormsCentral from the "Distribute" tab, you would send that PDF saved on your hard drive to your web designer and ask them to post the file for download with instructions on that web page to the user to download the PDF and use the Free Adobe Reader to fill out the PDF (see my link to the FAQ above).

Thanks,

Josh