12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 2:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Preview monitor problem

protomace

Hello, so I have an issue with preview monitor in Premiere Elements 10.

Video I am editing only shows when I click into the monitor, If I want to play the whole thing than the frame is frozen and audio plays fine.

I've reinstalled everything to double check, even OS Win7. Problem still exists. This makes the editing just not possible.

This problem is aslo happening with all video formats(avi,mp4,mov,png, even jpg). The only thig that seems to work is content generated within premiere(bars,titles,color backgrounds).

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Preview monitor problem
          Karandeep Adobe Employee

HI,

Welcome to forums.

Try to reset the prefrences and check .

Go to below mentioned location and reset the folder named as 10.0 and try to launch premier elements and check

c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements 10.0/10.0

Note:- make sure premier elements10 is closed bedore reseting the prefrences.

regards

Karandeep singh

• 2. Re: Preview monitor problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

protomace

What video card are you using for your Premiere Elements 10 on Window 7 (presumed 64 bit)?

There is an epidemic of display issues targeted specifically at the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA card users. The fix is roll back of the video card driver version rather than the classical directive of assure that you have the latest version of the video card driver installed.

Please check out the following and see if this applies to you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

More later.

ATR

• 3. Re: Preview monitor problem
              protomace Level 1

Hi, thanks for this tip, but it didn't help.

• 4. Re: Preview monitor problem
                protomace Level 1

I've tried rollbacking driver too, but didn't help either. Maybe if I would go even further back, like a year ago, but I plainly refuse to do that, there is a reason companies updates their product.

I have Win 7 32 bit and graphic card is Nvidia GTX 550TI.

• 5. Re: Preview monitor problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

protomace

At this point I do not think that deleting any preferences is indicated, but, if we get to that point, the please use the correct path and directions

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole Premiere Elements Folder in which the 10.0 Folder exists.

In order to see this path, you need to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Folders, Files, and Drives active.

This is often suggested troubleshooting for an assortment of issues.

If you have a NVIDIA video card in use, that should be the first item of attention in view of the history on Premiere Elements 10 display issues and NVIDIA video card.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Preview monitor problem
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

protomace

It would appear from the history that driver roll back to January 2013 was not uncommon to fix the issues.

Unfortunately, neither Adobe nor NVIDIA is coming forward with a fix.

You could contact NVIDIA on this matter, but it highly likely it will refer you to Adobe.

Although the "fix" which many have had to resort to is unacceptable to you, you might want to try it to see if it does work for you. Might help to rule this factor in or out of the problem equation.

We are not Adobe here. We are Premiere Elements users trying to help other Premiere Elements users with their Premiere Elements workflows.

Right now the odds are in favor of the core issue being this Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA card issue.

More later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Preview monitor problem
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Karandeep

Please correct your details.

Please refer to my post 5 in this thread.

Again, if you need help with your Premiere Elements workflows, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Preview monitor problem
                        protomace Level 1

Well rollbacking drivers to a stone age seems to work.

This is just stupidity, Adobe should update their product to support newer drivers. For that price they really should. I have no option but to find some other software. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks for help.

• 9. Re: Preview monitor problem
                          Karandeep Adobe Employee

A.T. Ronano,

Can you please elaborate what wrong i have mentioned , You also worte the same thing which protomace already mentioned that reseting the prefrences are not working .

Regards

krandeep singh

• 10. Re: Preview monitor problem
                            Karandeep Adobe Employee

Protomace,

seems you have change the driver to standard VGA mode and that is working.

Can you please provide the below mentioned details.

System Manufaturer

System Model Name

Version and date of Graphic driver(You will get the version once you right click on Display driver->click on properties->Click on Driver tab and tell us Driver date and driver version)

Is this computer contain dual display card or its only one Graphic card.

regards

Karandeep singh

• 11. Re: Preview monitor problem
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Karandeep

I did not write the "same" thing. Let me explain.

I cannot explain how protomace found your "preferences" directions and what was found. But, you are not going to find the Premiere Elements settings file (aka preferences) by the route that you posted. For the advantage of this user and others reading this thread, I thought it important to call attention to this.

Specifically

1. You wrote

Go to below mentioned location and reset the folder named as 10.0 and try to launch premier elements

c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements 10.0/10.0

There is no Premiere Elements 10.0 Folder in the correct route.

In that Adobe Folder in that above path, there is a folder named Premiere Elements 10.0 which also contains a 10.0 Folder, but that is not where you want to be if you are interested in settings file (aka preferences).

2. I thought that you might want the opportunity to be more specific for the benefit of this user and others who might read your post(s).

a. "reset" was not defined by you

b. other as per my post 5.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify these points for you.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions on this. Please double check the path that you cited versus the one that I did and compare. With the path that you gave, I think that you would end up with a Trace Database.txt file. How were you planning on resetting preferences from that?

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Preview monitor problem
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

protomace

Thanks for the follow up and gathering supportive evidence that it is the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issue that is impacting your workflow problems.

If you wish to continue with Premiere Elements software, the good news is that this NVIDIA video card roll back business seems confined to Premiere Elements 10. To date I have not seen reports of other versions involved in this matter. You could look at a later version. Right now version 12 is the current version which is available for a free 30 day tryout. Whatever software you decide to go with, do the tryout route before purchase.

There is a dramatic change in the workspace after version 10. Premiere Elements 11 and 12 are much the same.

As for non Adobe software, I have only worked intensively with Premiere Elements version 4 through 12. I am not employed by Adobe nor am I affiliated with it in anyway. Just go with what works for you.

Success with whatever your choice.

Thanks.

ATR