6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2014 3:42 PM by prowl

Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time

prowl Level 1

If you create comp and put it in frame mode by control/command  click on the timecode to left  ( does the same in timecode - jsut easier to tap in numbers )

Then in the properties give it negative start time.  Say -500 to 500 to give 1000 odd frames.

If you use the timeline jump on the top left to enter a frame number say 0... it should go to 0 right?  Nope it jumps to -500

whats even more odd if you put it back to 0-1000 it will still jump to -500

What's up with that?! 

Can someone test to make sure I am not going mad.

osx 10.9

cc 12.2

and if it does it in windows too?

• 1. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

You're not mad. Looks like you found a bug. Sorry about that. The ability to use a negative comp start timecode value is new in After Effects CC (12.2).

I've filed the bug internally. (Normally here I would request that you file a bug, but no need in this case. Feel free to do so in the future.)

My observation is that the value you enter is offset by 2x the start timecode value. For example, if your start timecode value is -1000f, and you enter 0, the current time indicator will jump to -2000f. (0 + (2 x -1000) = -2000) In the same case, if you enter 2500, it jumps to 500f. It's very consistent about this 2x(start timecode value) offset, and only occurs when the start timecode is negative.

If you have observed different behavior, let me know and I'll add it to the bug report.

The problem occurs on both Mac and Windows.

• 2. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time
            prowl Level 1

The observation sounds about right.

Well even when I put it back to 0-1000  - The timecode still jumped to the 2xThe max Negative value you enter...

I could only get it to reset if I entered the start as 0  - AND then the comp length to some thing new. Seems to reset it... but still jumps incorrectly.

Ha. That's the second I have found for you guys in CC 12 now... you should give me a job

Now hows that Ubertwirl coming along.....

• 3. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time

prowl wrote:

Well even when I put it back to 0-1000  - The timecode still jumped to the 2xThe max Negative value you enter...

I could only get it to reset if I entered the start as 0  - AND then the comp length to some thing new. Seems to reset it... but still jumps incorrectly.

Can you clarify what actions you are taking in these cases? Please specify:

• The start timecode value of the comp
              • The timecode value when you click into the Go To Time field
              • The value you enter in the Go To Time field
              • The result you get

I tested comps with non-negative (0 or positive) start timecode values and found that they were behaving as expected.

Keep in mind that there are special rules when typing numbers into the Go To Time field (the following all assume your timecode display style is set to Frames; also, for this explanation we are ignoring the bug):

• Typing a positive number with no symbols goes to that value. ex., "500" takes you to frame 500.
              • Typing a negative number will go to that value as negative timecode. ex., "-500" takes you to frame -500.
              • Typing a number with the + symbol in front adds that value to the current time. ex., If you are on frame 1000, "+500" takes you to frame 1500.
              • Typing a number with +- in front subtracts that value from the current time. ex., If you are on frame 2000, "+-500" takes you to frame 1500.

One more bad behavior I observed when the start timecode is negative: simply clicking into and out of the Go To Time field will adjust your current time by the 2x(start timecode) value. Sigh. I've added that to the bug notes. Again, this doesn't happen for me when the start timecode is 0 or positive.

• 4. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time
                prowl Level 1

The start timecode value of the comp

-200 - 1400

The timecode value when you click into the Go To Time field

The value you enter in the Go To Time field

The result you get

Postive comps are fine - as they should work.

Basically the Go to time field should be an absolute figure - if you enter -200 you go to -200.... enter 0 it should go to zero...  50 to 50 or whatever

even if you are negative.

Way to sleepy to do the math myself - deadlines loom!

As much as I like a lot of the way AE works there is some that is just insane and so old shool it's not true. 

No simple folders!? In 20 years?!?!  No way to turn off all effects... etc etc...

I could write a book on some of the crazy things AE does.

• 5. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time

The start timecode value of the comp

-200 - 1400

That's not a single value. Are you indicating that you've tried a range of values? The reason I asked for specific values is so that I could try to reproduce your results, in case there are any aspects of this bug I don't yet understand.

That said, your results sound similar to mine.

Basically the Go to time field should be an absolute figure - if you enter -200 you go to -200.... enter 0 it should go to zero...  50 to 50 or whatever

even if you are negative.

This is what should happen, except that this bug occurs when the start timecode is negative (which is a new feature in the 12.2 update). The only special case is for adding/subtracting to the current value, in which case you use the + or +- operators. (+- is the weird case, a compromise because this single field allows both absolute and relative navigation).

No simple folders!? In 20 years?!?!

Please read the entry about layer folders here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/12/top-after-effects-feature-requests-2013.html

No way to turn off all effects...

Can you clarify what you mean? There is a show/hide effects ("fx") switch for each layer in the Timeline panel that will do just this. If you want to disable all effects individually, rather than a layer-level switch, Cmd/Ctrl+A in the Effect Controls panel and clicking the enable/disable "fx" switch for one of the layers will turn them all off quickly.

If you desire a different control or behavior from After Effects, for effects or for any other purpose, please file a feature request.

• 6. Re: Timeline Goto Frame is very buggy if you have negative comp start time
                    prowl Level 1

Sure it's hard to remeber exactly what the original figures were... I have a anxious client breathing down my neck.

Look forward to the fix.

I know the wholel folder issue is deep but I genuinely don't know why simple open close layers were not done years ago...Flash had it scince adobe boughtit.

Even if it is not looked at like layers. Timeline bookmarks for shy layers or photoshop layer states... no not even that complicated! Just folders that open and close...!  I have file here that has 300 layers! and the simplest thing would be to put each section in a folder...Insane.

A single FX on / off switch for the whole comp. Like the shy button at the top

OK I have just tried the command A and FX swtich and that works but not when you have shy layers.  It's the simplest things that seem to be lacking in the interface these days. Especially when compared to say cinema 4d which is completely adapatable... Adobes interfaces are getting better and more coherant across the board but having keyboard shortcuts in one app and not in another is a complete pain.

Anyway thanks you very much fo your help... I am not going mad.

...much anyway.