5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 7:47 AM by Daliah

Overlapping Spreads

Daliah Level 1

I received a file from a customer and the page size is 8.5 x 11. They created facing pages so page 1 and 2 are next to each other. Now normally that would creat an 11x17 spread size. Somehow they overlapped pages 1 and 2 and created a spread that is 11x 16 5/16. They are trying to create an A3 size but they failed misserably. Not only is the outside spread only 11" tall and the 2 pages do not equal A3, the inside spread is 11x17 so does not create an A3. My question is, how do you overlap pages since I need to fix this file.

I'm working in CS5 and I think this file was created in CC. I wonder if in CC you can create different size pages in one document.

• 1. Re: Overlapping Spreads
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can create different page sizes in InDesign CS5 and later using the Page tool.

However, if you are working in CS5, and the customer created it in CC, you will not be able to edit it.

You'll have to give them instructions about what you want for them to carry out, or they should export the file as IDML so you can edit in CS5.

• 2. Re: Overlapping Spreads
            Daliah Level 1

They did send me the IDML file so I am able to edit it. I did just read online that I can have different size pages like you mention, and I am trying to figure out how to do that. Besides needing to fix their file, I want to know how to do it. The person who created this file is no longer with the company and the person I'm dealing with didn't know how to package the file, or why she'd need to when she could see the photos and everything when she opened it. At least she's easy to deal with and willing to do what is needed to get me what I need.

Just found edit page size button. Sometimes we make thins more complicated then they need to be.

• 3. Re: Overlapping Spreads
              Daliah Level 1

The weird thing with these pages though is that they are 8 1/2 x 11, they overlap. Is there an overlap option somewhere?

• 4. Re: Overlapping Spreads
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you select the Pages tool, then click on a page, you can move its position on the pasteboard.

• 5. Re: Overlapping Spreads
                  Daliah Level 1

Thank you Steve. That was helpful. I'm not sure I like that option, makes my job a little harder when someone doesn't know what they are doing. Like setting up the front of  a 2 sided folder 1 size, and the other another side another size because he forgot to adjust that set of pages. I'm happier with everything being the same. But then I'm in printing and when customers make these sort of adjustments, because they can instead of just making the document the size they need, makes my job harder. I also don't like multiple pages in Illustrator, it's not a page layout program, but that's another rant. Again, thank you.