14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 9:54 AM by Riccardo Pesare

Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?

Riccardo Pesare

Operative system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

CPU: Intel Core i5 (i5-3230M) - 3,3 GHz

Graphic Board : HD Graphics 4000

Chipset: Intel HM65 - 1600 MHz

RAM: 4-16 GB - 1600 MHz - DDR 3 - SO DIMM (PC3-12800)

Thank you

Riccardo

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Graphic Board : HD Graphics 4000

Please go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements  and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

intel 4000

You may now read previous problem discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Riccardo Pesare

Keep away from Premiere Elements 10 used on a computer with NVIDIA video card, unless you want to work with rolled back driver versions to get program performance.

From the specifications that you cite,

1. Premiere Elements 10 would be a 64 bit application in the Windows 7 64 bit computer and would be able to take advantage of the 64 bit system resources, including installed RAM over 4 GB. (I would probably go with 8 GB RAM installed.)

2. How much hard drive space does the computer have, 500 MB to 1 TB or more?

3. What type of video editing are you planning on doing with this setup?

I suspect you will do OK with the processor that you describe.

I have version 10 working well on a laptop with specifications close to yours.

Remember, when possible, tryouts before purchases.

ATR

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
              Riccardo Pesare Level 1

2. the computer has 500GB

3. i have to edit a shortfilm (i did not really understand this question...?)

By the way , thank you for the support !

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>3. i have to edit a shortfilm (i did not really understand this question...?)

What camera was used to record your "short film" and what codec was used?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Riccardo Pesare

Thanks for the reply with the details.

With regard to my question

3. What type of video editing are you planning on doing with this setup?

Standard defintion video (720 x 480/720 x 576, standard or standard widescreen) is less resource demanding than high definition video 1920 x 1080 16:9, 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, or 1280 x 720 16:9 with the video compression AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264).

There are some types of files that are often problems for Premiere Elements, such as, MotionJPEG.avi, AVCHD.avi, DV AVI type 1, to name a few.

When we ask for video properties typically we are asking for

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

Some times it gets confusing when the video compression and file extension are both loosely described with the same name.

Type of editing might include editing Video Track 1 content with trimming, adding transitions, effects, to grander project with multi-track utilization schemes.

The other aspects of the question involved the Timeline content duration, whether you were going to edit the SD or HD Timeline content and export it to a file saved to the computer hard drive or to burn to disc, DVD or Blu-ray. This would introduce the question, "What type of burner is included with the computer?"

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                    Riccardo Pesare Level 1

I have a Nikon D3100 and all the video have these features:

H264  MPEG-4 AVC

1920x1080

(decodified: Planar 4:2:0 YUV full scale)

After editing, i chose multiple exportation: or "Youtube widescreen HD" format , or i burn it on a DVD.

The burner included with the computer I probably will buy (I don't have it yet, but I have a very detailed technical file. The computer is Thosiba Satellite Pro C50-A-1CC) has this features:

DVD+-R DL

read speed 6x

burn speed 6x

can read these supports: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+-R, DVD+-RW, DVD+-R DL

can burn: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+-R, DVD+-RW, DVD+-R DL

• 7. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Riccardo Pesare

Looking good.

Depending on the size of your projects and your productivity, you might want to include one of those handheld USB 3.0 external hard drives (NTFS formatted - capacity 500 GB or greater) for storage purposes. I got mine on sale for about $49.00 USD (500 GB capacity).

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance. Any problems let us know immediately.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                        Riccardo Pesare Level 1

So, in conclusion, can I be calm and sure that very probably PE 10 will work well on a computer with these features?

I thank you very very much!!

Riccardo

• 9. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Riccardo Pesare

Thanks for the reply.

About the  "...., can I be calm and sure that very probably PE10 will work well on a computer with these features?"....The Calm and sure context do not go smoothly with very probably part, but....

All should go well based on the prior details in your thread. But there are so many variables (expected and unexpected) on the Premiere Elements (project setup, etc), computer environment (conflicting other programs, etc), and source media side of things. No guarantee with any version of Premiere Elements in any computer environment.

Please update us on your progress when you get the time.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Riccardo,

Here are my comments on the spec'ed. laptop, with the version of PrE that you are using (PrE 10), and HD (High Def) Projects and Assets:

The i5 is at the lower end of the CPU range, and it will come into play with AVCHD (or any Clips using the H.264 CODEC), which is higly CPU-intensive. It should work, but I would recommend that you be prepared to Render the Timeline more often, for smoothest playback. An i7 would be better, and the faster, the better.

I would go with the 16GB RAM, as with a 64-bit OS, 4GB is barely enough to run the OS, with little left over for other programs.

The Intel 4000 HD video adapter should be adequate, but it draws its RAM (VRAM here) from the system's RAM, so the comment above plays a slightly larger role. The one limitation with the Intel video adapter is the updating of the video drivers. Intel makes great chips, but have been lagging behind with the release of updated video drivers. So long as everything works with their latest video driver, nothing to worry about. I recommend an nVidia * or AMD/ATI video chip, basically due to the frequency of the video driver updates.

One HDD, if large enough, and fast enough (I would ONLY go with a min. of 7200RPM, and NOT go with any "Eco," or "green" HDD), but a second internal would be better. Most laptops ONLY have space for a single HDD, so one often does not have the ability to add a second, internal, physical HDD. However, a USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 is just too slow) external HDD will help. Just make sure to set the Drive Letter for that external in the OS, so that it is ALWAYS seen with that Drive Letter. Failure to do that will likely result in Media Offline, and broken links to the media files on that external.

This goes for any computer - keep it clean, and well-tuned, with no bloatware, or unnecessary programs and processes running - often loaded at bootup.

Just my thoughts,

Hunt

* An issue between PrE 10, and the latest nVidia video drivers need to be taken into consideration, if one has both PrE 10 and an nVidia card/chip. ATR has an on-going thread on the problem.

• 11. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Riccardo Pesare

Just some comments about Hunt's comments

The i5 is at the lower end of the CPU range, and it will come into play with AVCHD (or any Clips using the H.264 CODEC), which is higly CPU-intensive. It should work, but I would recommend that you be prepared to Render the Timeline more often, for smoothest playback. An i7 would be better, and the faster, the better.

I do not agree on the part ....be prepared to Render the Timeline more often, for smoothest playback...

In Premiere Elements, you go by the rendering color line indicator system, each time you edit, you get a red or orange line above the Timeline content edited, and you need to render the Timeline to get the best possible preview. If you have the correct project preset (to do with source media, nothing to do with i3, i5, or i7), there should be no colored line over the Timeline content, no rendering needed or possible since you have the best possible preview.

But, each time you edit, render needed for the best possible preview...especially useful for titles, trasnsitions, effects, and non native formats imported afterward. And, once you have rendered and have the best possible preview, there is no re-render possible to make the "best possible" preview into a better/smoother species. That is true if the processor is i3, i5, i7 and you are using Premiere Elements. I have never found it to be otherwise.

You should do fine with i5 processor with the 3.3 GHz clock speed. I have one computer with i3 processor with 3.2 GHz clock speed and it handles SD and HD (Blu-ray included) projects very well, be it version 10, 11, or 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

As for installed RAM, I have already stated my preference for 8 GB under the circumstances. And, nearly all my computers each have one Intel HD Graphic display card, and I have not run into any issues with them for video editing, Blu-ray computer playback or other.

If I have misinterpreted Hunt's comments on ...be prepared to render more often...I sure that he will clarify.

ATR

Add On....After thought...even if you have a red or orange line over the Timeline content but the Edit Mode monitor view is good, that does not mean you can escape rendering to get the best possible preview. It can happen that the good looking without render view can look flawed in the rendered view of it. Meaning problems, best caught in the Edit rather than in the final export.

• 12. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I do not agree on the part ....be prepared to Render the Timeline more often, for smoothest playback...

Unfortunately, with many editing operations, one WILL need to Render the Timeline for smoothest playback. Say an overlay is added, or an Effect is added, or Keyframed, the colored line above the Clips WILL appear, even if the Project and media match up 100%. With a faster CPU, the un-Rendered Timeline is more likely to play smoothly, without Rendering. With a slower CPU, one is likely to have to do more Rendering. That is the point that I am making, regarding the CPU and the H.264 material. There should be no argument, or disagreement there.

Hope that clarifies my personal observation on the CPU involved.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for the clarification on what you are saying.

That is why I added the following to my post just in case

Add On....After thought...even if you have a red or orange line over the Timeline content but the Edit Mode monitor view is good, that does not mean you can escape rendering to get the best possible preview. It can happen that the good looking without render view can look flawed in the rendered view of it. Meaning problems, best caught in the Edit rather than in the final export

Thanks again.

ATR

• 14. Re: Does Premiere Elements 10 work well on a Notebook with these features?
                                    Riccardo Pesare Level 1

Okay, thank you all so much !

I will update when i will buy the computer!

Bye

Riccardo