10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 1:03 PM by JordanLloyd

Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2

JordanLloyd Level 1

Not sure if it's just me but I cannot for the life of me get any changes to the keyboard shortcuts file to work in 12.2

I'm manually making the edits to the shortcut file like I usually do, and I'm either getting an error when I try to Assign F16, F17 or F18 as a shortcut. This used to work for me no problem, so I'm not sure when this changed and didn't allow these keys to work. I also can't get any other changes to actually work either, the file just keeps resetting on me whenever I restart After Effects. This obviously doesn't seem normal so I'm wondering if it's just me.

Here's the error I get when I try to set Easing to F17 for example: http://f.cl.ly/items/3D3H1C1C191F2E1s3x2a/Screen%20Shot%202014-01-21%20at%204.22.10%20PM.p ng

Driving me crazy!

(edit: This is on a mac using the fullsize USB mac keyboard, not a laptop)

• 2. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.

• Are you quitting After Effects before editing the keyboard shortcuts file?
          • What application are you using to edit the file? Could be that the app you are using is saving formatting data into the file. Try using TextEdit.
          • After you get this error, if you open and inspect the changes you made, are the extraneous characters visible?
          • Try deleting the shortcuts file and letting After Effects rebuild it, then edit in the new file.
          • Towards the top of the file, in the ["** header **"] section, what is the major value? It should be 79 for After Effects CC (12.2). If this has been changed, or wasn't updated for some reason, you should change it.
          • 3. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
            JordanLloyd Level 1
            • Quitting After Effects each attempt - yes
            • using text edit, in plaintext mode - yes
            • after the error the keyboard shortcuts file looks like it gets reset to the default shortcut, my changes are no longer present.
            • tried deleting the file and had AE regenerate it multiple times.
            • header shows version 79 as expected.

Anything else I can try here? I'm actually getting errors no matter what shortcut I try to change now, all with similar error messages. I'll try re-installing I guess

• 4. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2

Are you on Mac SO 10.9? I wonder if your preferences folder is having permissions issues, which is something we've seen cause other issues. Here's a blurb from a related thread:

To fix this in the case of After Effects, go to the preferences folder and set the entire preferences folder ( Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/12.2/ ) and all of its contents to be writable, not read-only.

• 5. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
                JordanLloyd Level 1

Yes, on Mac OS 10.9.1 - just tried setting the permissions on that folder and still no luck. Also just tried a fresh re-install of After Effects and I'm still getting the same errors.

• 6. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2

First thought: check the permissions on the folders upstream from the 12.2 folder, make sure that they are also not set as read-only.

I'm curious if you would have this problem with other files in the same folder. If you open Adobe After Effects 12.2 Prefs.txt and change a value in there, do you get a similar problem?

In your System Preferences, what are the Language & Text settings on? What language is at the top of the list? It's clear from your screenshot that you are using the English version of After Effects, but do your OS settings match?

• 7. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
                    JordanLloyd Level 1

No folders set to read-only upstream as far as I checked.

It appears as though I can make changes w/o issue to Adobe After Effects 12.2 Prefs.txt

My system is set to english, and keyboard set to english (w/an english keyboard). i.e all those settings matched. I've been using this setup w/these same shortcuts for a while, something just broke I think in either 12.1 or 12.2

• 8. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
                      JordanLloyd Level 1

I noticed AE is resetting the permissions on the shortcuts file when it reverts it back to the defaults on launch, disregarding my having manually set it read & write - if that's helpful.

• 9. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2

I found the problem and solution. To avoid this error, before you edit the shortcuts file in TextEdit go to Edit > Subtitutions and disable Smart Quotes. You can also disable this option in TextEdit's preferences, which will prevent it from enabling every time you open a new document.

Smart Quotes are enabled by default in TextEdit on Mac OS 10.9. This is causing the quotation mark characters (") around the shortcut definition to be replaced by the left and right double quotation mark characters (“ and ”). This may be "correct" for word processing but is not helpful for when you are editing application scripts that require specific characters be used.

The problem only appears to occur in the shortcuts file, and not the general preferences file, because the shortcuts file uses parentheses around the shortcut definition: "(F16)". I don't know why that construction triggers the problem.

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem on Mac OS 10.8, because the Smart Quotes option is off by default in TextEdit on that version of Mac OS. Once I tried the problem on Mac OS 10.9, I was able to reproduce the issue easily. (I might also have been able to find this problem sooner if I had paid more attention to the error message, which clearly shows the quotation characters as being replaced by something After Effects is parsing differently.) FWIW, this problem also reproduces in After Effects CS6 on Mac OS 10.9.

• 10. Re: Cannot assign keyboard shortcuts in CC 12.2
                          JordanLloyd Level 1

Amazing. Thanks so much Tim! This was absolutely the issue, thanks for taking the time to dig into it for me.