4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 6:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 closes upon Startup Menu

The King John

When I open Premiere Elements 9, I click "New Project", and it looks as if it is loading for a few moments, and then automatically crashes. It also happens when I try to open an old project within Premiere Elements. I am using a 64-bit Windows Vista computer, and this has never happened within the past 3-4 years that I have been using Premiere Elements.

Any help would be much thanked!

-John King

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 closes upon Startup Menu
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 closes upon Startup Menu
            A.T. Romano Level 7

John King

Let us try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In your Windows Vista 64 bit, I would expect it to be:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the hold 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If that does not work, then let us go through the drill

1. Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update for Premiere Elements 11 Windows?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

3. Are you running the program Run As Administrator as well as from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Is you video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card? Does your computer use two video cards?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 closes upon Startup Menu
              The King John Level 1

John T Smith & A.T. Romano,

So I just downloaded the latest nVidia driver, and now it works! I suppose that was the problem.

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

-John King

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 closes upon Startup Menu
                A.T. Romano Level 7

John King

Thanks for the great news that your Premiere Elements is working again for you.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance along with John.

If you have any further problems or you have questions or you need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Continued success.

ATR