4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 4:35 PM by cuzimeasy

Crossover image sneaking under spine

cuzimeasy Level 1

Okay...Hi everyone.

The details:

Two facing InDesign pages laid out and then made into individual PDF's

Each section of the image appears in the correct PDF as it should print. No bleeds through the spine etc.

Small 32 page newsprint pony tab. Stapled. so we are not talking about a massive amount of creep here.

there is a 1.5p missing from the left page image (it's on the PDF) and 1.5p from the right side slides under the spine and shows up on the corrosponding page earlier in the publication.

when I pull the document apart and put the image together so it would line up, there is a 1.5p strip missing from the image.

What did I do wrong?

They want to re-run it, but don't want to see a bunch of paper wasted if there is something I did wrong. (I already have the back of my car filled with the "ooops" version)

Thanks a whack!

you can see where it was stapled (i pulled it apart) and where the image on the right slid under the spine...the white strip more or less matches what is missing from the right side (spine edge) of the image on the left.

deconstructed.jpg

• 1. Re: Crossover image sneaking under spine
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In my experience, newpapers don't always get the fold in the right place (I think it's often on purpose so they can use an inserter to add stuff, but the offset is very often more than is required), so I suspect at least part of the problem is the folding. The rest looks to me like there is a non-imageable area along the edges of the page (look at the red rope and the black hose on the floor and it's clear part of the image is missing) and you should discuss that with them.

• 2. Re: Crossover image sneaking under spine
            cuzimeasy Level 1

Thanks for the input,

They finally came to conclusion it wasn't anything I did...PHEW!

They can't seem to get the imposition correct.

They re-ran it and the problem is still there ...well...a bit slides under the spine....but less anyway. The image pretty much lines up this time though.

So I still need to figure out whats what so i can atleast speak to the problem with them.

But all 3500 are in the mail, so I guess it is what it is on this one.

Thanks...

Any suggestions on a good forum where printers talk about geeky stuff?

• 3. Re: Crossover image sneaking under spine
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Afraid not.

I'd personally say you're asking for trouble, though, trying to do a crossver like this anywhere but the center spread running on this sort of equipment. It's no guaranteed there will be a problem, but the odds are not in your favor.

• 4. Re: Crossover image sneaking under spine
                cuzimeasy Level 1

Fair enough!

The bleeds on all the other pages looked great!...just this crossover was a thorn in my eyeball.

Thanks.