13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 7:47 AM by BobLevine

Rounded corners change to sharp corners

Graphic Squirrel Level 1

We moved from ID CS4 to CS6 this past year.  Our company logo consists of hexagons with rounded edges that we created quite a while ago.  We are finding that, in all of our artwork that we open in 6 that was created in 4, our logos have sharp corners rather than the rounded corners.  Does anyone know why this is happening and how to correct it?  We tried Preferences>General>Object Editing>Scaling>Apply To Content as well as >Adjust Scaling Percentage, but that doesn't work (we thought it might have been a problem when we resized the logo, but evidently that is not the case as it happens just upon opening, too). 

I don't want to have to redo every logo I've ever done in the last eight years.  Can anyone help me figure out why the corners aren't keeping their rounded corners and how to fix it? 

(We are on Windows 7 PCs.)

Thanks, GS

• 1. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As I recall, there was a trick some people used for rounding corners (can't remember the details at the moment) that stopped working when live corner effects was introduced in CS5. I don't think there's a way to get those corners back without redrawing.

• 2. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Open the file in CS4 and get the logo onto a single page. Export to PDF. Place the PDF into your new documents going forward.

Have an editable logo in InDesign isn’t really a great idea.

• 3. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't want to have to redo every logo I've ever done in the last eight years.

Well, of course you won't have to. There should be no reason to do it more than once.

Lessons to be learned:

A logo graphic must never include any "live" or otherwise native-editing-environment-dependent effects.

A logo graphic must never include any live text or font data.

A logo graphic should always be a stand-alone file placed via external link so that when it does change, edit-once; affect-many will take effect.

• 4. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
                Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Even PDF is a bit useless.

You can repurpose it for different layouts, but could be difficlut to edit (unless you keep the original InDesign file, even at that you're maintaining 2 files instead of 1).

I recommend it be recreated correctly in Illustrator - then saved as a .ai file then place that .ai file in instead of a drawn logo in InDesign or a placed pdf.

• 5. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
                  Graphic Squirrel Level 1

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that changing my corners wasn't a permanent action.  I wish I had designed the logo in Ai!  Mistake on my part, though we did take it to Ai and use that version now.  That makes me wonder if the ones we are finding that are changing are the old Id versions because this doesn't seem to be a uniform happening.

Regarding the changes, what I really meant was, I don't want to have to make changes in all of my artwork, not the logo per se.  Every time I make a change, it has to be reproofed, which means that lots of time will have to be spent doing something that has already been done just because these corners aren't correct. 

This is why I hate to upgrade.  Every time I do, Adobe has changed something that causes me to have to redo some of my work.  I just don't understand them at all.  It scares me to think of what might happen when we are forced to go to the cloud, where updates appear on a regular basis (from what I understand from others who use it, anyway).

• 6. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
                    Graphic Squirrel Level 1

Our 4 color logo gets little lines though the hexes when we save it in a pdf.  Don't know why.  The flat logo - single color that we have to use on boxes, etc - is the one with the changing corners. 

I have learned my lesson for sure!  No more designing logos in In Design!

• 7. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

Graphic Squirrel wrote:

This is why I hate to upgrade.  Every time I do, Adobe has changed something that causes me to have to redo some of my work.  I just don't understand them at all.  It scares me to think of what might happen when we are forced to go to the cloud, where updates appear on a regular basis (from what I understand from others who use it, anyway).

AFAIK you can turn off automatic updates.

You don't even need to be connected to the internet to use the CC subscription. But from time to time it will dial home to make sure it's a legit version - so an internet connection would be required from time to time.

• 8. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners
                        Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

It may be too late to save your rounded cornered items from CS4, but if you have created live rounded-cornered objects and you want them "dead", select the object(s), choose Paths> Open Path. Then choose Paths> Close Path.

That converts the live effects into actual path shapes.

But you can also copy/paste the live items into AI, which will deaden them.

Look for my article in Friday's Creativepro.com on moving vectors between the apps in InDe-Illu-Shop.

• 9. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

Placing AI files does place a PDF. There is no way to place AI files that do not have a PDF component.

• 10. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

Well - the PDF is part of the .ai file.

What you'd have if you exported the file from InDesign to PDF is just a PDF. And opening that in Illustrator is not recommended, especially if complex.

If you create the file in Illustrator it can be saved as .ai file - without the PDF if you wish - it just means you can't preview it in another Adobe application.

But it's recommended to save the .ai file with a PDF.

Even still -  you still get a .ai file instead of a direct PDF.

And you open the .ai file in Illustrator.

The PDF just comes along for the ride.

But it's better than a PDF created from InDesign.

• 11. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

If it’s a complicated logo that is going to require a lot of changes then yes, but as a one off, no way, I’d go through the bother.

Export it as PDF/X-4 and then use it in other InDesign files.

• 12. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

There's just no way of knowing if you will never need a change.

Create it the right way and be done with it.

• 13. Re: Rounded corners change to sharp corners

It was created in ID and has been fine for years, apparently. Look, I’m all about using the right tool for the job but in this case, it’s done, why reinvent the wheel?