8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 5:34 AM by rob day

Colour mode changes when loading swatches?

dis

Hi

When I'm creating and saving a palette of colour swatches in "PANTONE+ Colour Bridge Coated", I seem to have a problem, when trying to load it again.

Every time i load the swatches (ase-file), the colour-mode changes back into CMYK instead of the choosen Pantone.

Any suggestions to, why this is happening and what the solution could be?

DIS

• 1. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Color Bridge colors always show as CMYK.  They are the book value CMYK conversions of the spot colors.

• 2. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
            dis Level 1

Ok.

So my problem is using Color Bridge Coated.

Now I found the same color codes i PANTONE+ Solid Coated - thought this wolud work, but now the color mode is LAB, when I load the swatches.

Is it even possible for the color mode to be the choosen pantone, when loading the swatches?

DIS

• 3. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?

Pantone + solid librararies are defined as Lab so that you get the best possible conversion for any destination space if you choose to convert to process. The colors are really spot (look at the icon to the left), and they show up in the seps preview as expected, and they output to their own plate unless you choose to convert spots to process.

• 4. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
                dis Level 1

Alright.

Let me know, if I get this right. No matter what I do, I won't get the colour mode to say: PANTONE, when I load the swatches?

If yes, what will the colour mode be, if I send an assigment to print? Will it come out as LAB og PANTONE? (Sorry, if this is a silly question - must admit I'm a bit lost here!)

DIS

• 5. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?

Pantone is not a color mode, it's a color matching system. The swatch NAME should say Pantone, with a number, and the type of swatch should be either Spot or Process, and the mode CMYK, RGB, or Lab, depending on the type and color of the swatch.

Why don't you take a screen cap of what you see in the swatches panel and post it here so we can see what your problem is, if any. You can embed an image in your post using the camera icon on the web page editor, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 6. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you save swatches from the Swatches panel they get saved as .ase (Adobe Swatch Exchange) not as a library. When you reload them all of the swatches get loaded into the Swatches panel and in the case of Pantones the original name along with the spot/process and mode icons.

You could turn the saved swatches into a library by changing the extention of the saved .ase file to .acb and moving the file into the InDesign swatches folder. In that case they would show up as a library with whatever name you gave the .acb file like this:

Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 9.07.05 AM.png

A library can be a mix of color modes. Here Green and Blue are process CMYK and the Pantones are spot Lab. When you select a library color the Color panel shows its color space.

• 7. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
                      dis Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your inputs.

I've sorted out the problem by learnig, that I can't change the colour mode to PANTONE. I also figured out that even if the colour mode doesn't say PANTONE, my swatshes are still the PANTONE colour i choose. That's all I needed to know.

DIS

• 8. Re: Colour mode changes when loading swatches?
                        rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

my swatshes are still the PANTONE colour

Just keep in mind the swatch Color Mode and Color Type changes depending on what Pantone library you choose from. Pantone Bridge colors are process CMYK colors, Pantone + colors are spot Lab colors—the output will be different depending on what library you choose from.