13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 12:47 PM by T.BOWER

full screen windows media player

bS_nickname
      Greetings - I am having issues trying to open a .wmv file full-screen. I am simply using:

on mouseUp
      baOpenFile( the moviePath & "01.wmv" , "maximized" )
      end

I have made several attempts to at code to make sure it opens in full-screen, but found no simple solution. I am running dual monitors and this will open up in the second monitor within the WMP - full screen.

Thanks all -
      bS
        • 1. full screen windows media player
          Applied CD Level 1
          Hmmm … maximizing the application isn’t exactly the same as full screen playback (ie: without all the interface elements). If you want to maximize the application on a given monitor the following might work:

Open media player in normal mode
          Use baMoveWindow to place the player on the monitor of your choice
          Use baSetWindowState to maximize

You could use baMoveWindow to both move the window and make it full screen although I don’t think the OS will recognize the window as being maximized.

To use Buddy API’s window functions you’ll need the WinHandle for your media player window … look closely at baFindWindow and/or baWindowList … these functions I have used. Make sure you use the window title to find the handle, using the class is dangerous because there is no guarantee that media player will be the default player for wmv on any given system.

If your projector is windowed and can be dragged by the user, and if you want to identify which monitor shares the greatest area with the projector stage I wrote the following function. Works fine with single monitor systems. Note that if the user somehow manages to push the projector off all screens the primary monitor is returned. I’m not sure what will happen if you call the function while the projector is minimized (not possible in my use). I suspect the primary monitor would be returned but I’ve never tested that, it all depends on what the value of _movie.stage.rect is when the application is minimized. If it’s rect(0,0,0,0) there’s no problem, if it’s void the following code would need to be modified to check the application state first.
          • 2. Re: full screen windows media player
            bS_nickname Level 1
            Thanks so much for the reply and sorry for my late response –

Here is the total project in a nutshell:
            Dual monitors - (1) VGA and (1) 1080p via HDMI for HD video playback only
            VGA monitor to run full screen interactive GUI – kiosk mode
            HDMI monitor (through MOBO) to playback full screen video when selected via the GUI

I have tried several of the BuddyApi calls and some work better than others - the baMoveWindow works, but you have to apply the Width and Height of that window - defeats the purpose of "full screen"
            baSetWindowState only allows "maximized" not full screen

I am sure someone out there has done something similar - Please share :-) I need to start the application, run the GUI on the VGA, when selected – run HD video full screen via Windows Media Player
            • 3. full screen windows media player
              Applied CD Level 1
              Does it have to be Media Player on the HD monitor? You could open a full screen MIAW on the HD monitor with a WMV sprite stretched to fill the screen. That would be a whole lot easier than trying to manipulate Media Player, plus your main stage running on the VGA monitor would have complete control over the MIAW. I’ve never worked with HDMI out on a computer, I’m assuming Windows and Director treat it just like any 1920 x 1080 monitor.
              • 4. Re: full screen windows media player
                bS_nickname Level 1
                Thanks - I have switched gears a bit and using an Xtra placing the video in a MIAW as you suggested - problem is that I can't seem to find a way of opening the MIAW full screen.

Thoughts?
                • 5. Re: full screen windows media player
                  Level 7

"bS_nickname" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:fjv7qd$fjd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks - I have switched gears a bit and using an Xtra placing the
                  > video in a MIAW as you suggested - problem is that I can't seem to
                  > find a way of opening the MIAW full screen.
                  >
                  > Thoughts?

set the rect of window "your_window_name" to getAt(the
                  DesktopRectList,1)

Please include some way to close or resize that window, as you will
                  lose the titlebar and also the windows taskbar...

Richard.

• 6. Re: full screen windows media player
                    bS_nickname Level 1
                    Thanks -
                    Problem is that we are running dual monitors - and when I query it only shows one (1) monitor for a total desktop size. In this case 1024 + 1920 - so I have to place the MIAW to open @ just after the 1024. I want the full screen GUI on the 1024 monitor and the full screen video on the 1920 monitor. ????? Both play in KIOSK mode and will be locked out from all bad doers :-)

Thoughts?
                    • 7. Re: full screen windows media player
                      Level 7

----- Original Message -----
                      Newsgroups: macromedia.director.lingo
                      Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:59 AM
                      Subject: Re: full screen windows media player

> Thanks -
                      > Problem is that we are running dual monitors - and when I query it
                      > only
                      > shows
                      > one (1) monitor for a total desktop size. In this case 1024 + 1920 -
                      > so I
                      > have
                      > to place the MIAW to open @ just after the 1024. I want the full
                      > screen
                      > GUI on
                      > the 1024 monitor and the full screen video on the 1920 monitor.
                      > ?????
                      > Both
                      > play in KIOSK mode and will be locked out from all bad doers :-)
                      >
                      > Thoughts?
                      >

Hi,

How did you setup the monitor "layout" in windows?
                      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/hwandprograms/monitors.mspx

Richard

• 8. Re: full screen windows media player
                        Chunick Level 3
                        quote:

Originally posted by: bS_nickname
                        Thanks -
                        Problem is that we are running dual monitors - and when I query it only shows one (1) monitor for a total desktop size. In this case 1024 + 1920 - so I have to place the MIAW to open @ just after the 1024. I want the full screen GUI on the 1024 monitor and the full screen video on the 1920 monitor. ????? Both play in KIOSK mode and will be locked out from all bad doers :-)

Thoughts?

the desktopRectList returns the rect of each monitor, in your case you should get something like this, if you try in the message window during authoring:

put the desktopRectList

-- [rect(0, 0, 1024, 768), rect(0, 0, 1980, 1080)]

so, if the two monitors are set up side-by-side and creating a 3004x1848 desktop area then you just need to figure out the offset to place and then size your elements accordingly.
                        • 9. Re: full screen windows media player
                          bS_nickname Level 1
                          LOOPING_Richard ~ I have both my authoring system and the test system set to Horizontal Span across two (2) monitors.

Chunick ~ when I query the desktopRectList I always get the same thing - one (1) monitor reference. My authoring system I show [rect(0,0, 3360,1050)] of course the playback system I see something different only in the total amount of space. But always one (2) monitor and not two (2).

Thoughts -
                          • 10. Re: full screen windows media player
                            Level 7

"bS_nickname" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                            news:fk1auj$ne7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > LOOPING_Richard ~ I have both my authoring system and the test
                            > system set to
                            > Horizontal Span across two (2) monitors.
                            >
                            > Chunick ~ when I query the desktopRectList I always get the same
                            > thing - one
                            > (1) monitor reference. My authoring system I show [rect(0,0,
                            > 3360,1050)] of
                            > course the playback system I see something different only in the
                            > total amount
                            > of space. But always one (2) monitor and not two (2).
                            >
                            > Thoughts -
                            >

Well,
                            then if you do not want it as 1 big desktop, you should switch it OFF!
                            Windows is just doing what you told it to do, right?

Richard.

• 11. Re: full screen windows media player
                              Applied CD Level 1
                              If you bring up the Window’s Display Control Panel does it display two monitors there? I’ve worked on a number of two monitor systems (in fact my primary development system is dual monitor), I always extended the desktop over both monitors and Buddy API always reports two separate rectangles. The fact that you’re using HDMI out makes me a little suspicious that maybe the driver isn’t entirely standard … this is a long shot but I’ve read about display software that can tile one HD image over multiple HD monitors, for example you can connect a 4 x 4 grid of 16 plasma monitors to one computer and the driver makes them all look like one huge incredibly expensive rectangle. It’s possible your driver is “helping” software that isn’t multi-monitor aware (like DVD playback) by tricking the system into seeing one big monitor when you’d be better served seeing the desktop rectangles separately.

All that having been said, if the driver insists on reporting a single rectangle you can still work with it, in fact it might be easier. Dispense with the MIAW, just make the stage the same size as the reported desktop rect, turn off the title bar options in the display tab, make the video sprite 1980 x 1080 and throw it on the stage flush right, and put all your GUI controls on the upper left quadrant of the stage (or reverse the layout if the HD monitor is first). If the GUI is touch screen you’re done, if not, it would probably be best to constrain the mouse to the GUI rect.
                              • 12. full screen windows media player
                                bS_nickname Level 1
                                Applied CD ~

Many thanks again.

Yes, both systems (authoring and test) show one display - two in the control panel setup. My development system is dual 20" LCD monitors via DVI through a Gefen Switch with an NVIDA Quadro4 graphics. The test or deployment system is a Micro ATX with onboard graphics through an Intel chipset – (1) D-dub 15 and (1) HDMI. So not knowing what's happing here, but many thanks on the "be best to constrain the mouse to the GUI rect. " totally forgot about that on this prototype!

And I am back to one large stage with dual video sprites. I'll let you know how it goes.
                                • 13. Re: full screen windows media player
                                  T.BOWER
                                  Hi,

I have a client that would like to project three separate images, through three separate projectors onto a wall, with one computer. Do you know of any hardware and software that will do this? The image needs to reflect off of a wall mirror as the equipment is hidden in the ceiling plenum.

Do you also know what is the length, that the computer can be from the projectors?

Thank you for your assistance!