15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 12:45 PM by trista_c

Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature

pathblaster

I have just been in Acrobat Pro XI and for the fourth or more times, I have tried to get some accessibility editing done in various PDFs.

I was just in the Reading Order panel. After about two adjustments, I tried to move one  more item up in the reading order, and Acrobat crashed (second time within minutes, just after installing the latest update).

I think I will have to go back to Pro X, which is far more stable.

In particular, this happens when I grab the tag of a table within the reading order panel and tried to move it up or down in the reading order.

• 1. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
          a C student Level 3

You have my sympathy. My experience is opposite of yours though, for me XI crashes with annoying frequency but less so than X. It would be a shame to have to abandon XI, as it includes some accessiblity tool tweaks/improvements over X. Acrobat is the only tool that can let me accessibility-remediate PDFs so I live with the crashes. I have learned to save my work early and often, to a new file name each time, just in case.

• 2. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
            pathblaster Level 1

This just happened again! This time it was not related to a table. However it was similar. I grabbed the 3rd element in the reading order on the page, to move it upward to the first position. That's when the crash happened, it was the same as the previous event, I was moving an element upward in the list (the 3rd one, in fact).

Now it happens after just a couple of times moving items.

• 3. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
              pathblaster Level 1

Thanks for your sympathy. (Any extra hankies?) My brief experience with Accessibility in Acrobat Pro XI does impress me. But if I can't keep the application running, it will do me no good. I am unistalling it now. I will reinstall it, but not install any updates until I learn it is more stable. I have other issues that did not reccur when I uninstalled then reinstalled yesterday.

Will keep posting here to let everyone know if anything improves.

• 4. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                KathyRK

I am having the same problem. Anything I move in the Reading Order panel creates a crash. I don't think Adobe has fulled worked out accessibility. I have done intensive testing with InDesign (Mac) and Acrobat Pro XI and have found many things that do not work, particularly their Articles panel. My clients are screaming but what do I say? I also don't see much in the forums about accessible pdfs so I am assuming that this is a work in progress and not a final solution. My preference would be that Adobe would not promote this as a sure thing when it isn't.

• 5. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                  pathblaster Level 1

I uninstalled Acrobat Pro XI then reinstalled it, and have not allowed any updates to be installed. This has been more stable in the Accessibility features for me. However I have not attempted rearranging the reading order in Acrobat.

I have begun arranging the reading order in Adobe InDesign files, which is done by the stacking order of elements in the Layers panel. The bottom-most element gets read first, and so on. This works more effectively than text threading. The Object Export Options dialog, which can remain open as you click on items, is a good way in ID to add alternate text to elements or to tag background graphics as artifacts, etc.

Although there is much to like (in the potential) for accessibility in Acrobat Pro XI, it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth to see it crash with most attempts to implement edits.

• 6. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                    pathblaster Level 1

OK, just an update. I have Adobe Acrobat Pro XI at 11.0.0, and have refused to install any updates.

At this point all the Accessibility features I have used have worked without causing any crashes, even using the Order panel.

However, there is one thing that happens occassionally with the Order panel, whether it is in Acrobat Pro 9, X or XI.

If I change the reading order of some elements, then text will sometimes disappear! I would like to know what are the conditions that cause that to happen, and what, if anything, can be done to prevent it.

• 7. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                      sp8900

Add me to that list. Everytime I try to touchup the reading order, it crashes on me. And other few weird stuff are like I draw rectangles around text and start 1,2,3 and so forth and in the middle, when I tag something like 9 then the whole order gets messed up for some reason and sometimes, few tags just disappear. When I try to organize it, boom, it crashes and I loose my work.

Is Adobe even listening to these problems??

• 8. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                        RMPrepress

UGHHHH...similiar problems here in our prepress dept we are all having issues with Acrobat XI crashing when trying to use the edit object tool...maybe it is the latest upgrade that went through recently. Very frustrating as version X (10.1.9) was rock solid!!

Note: our dept. is using the Creative Cloud and all 5 of our Mac Pro's are having the same problem some running 10.7.5 and others running 10.6.8

• 9. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                          Mboomba

I have previously struggled with this but I seem to have found a workaround.  Instead of dragging the item by the name and waiting for it to activate the divider line to where you are dragging it, drag the box icon to the left.  It seems to react better and not crash.  Also you don't have to get the line to show for it to move the item.  Just drag to the box of the number to where it needs to move.  This helped immensely as I have a tons of docs to make accessible.  Give it a shot.  Im in XI on CC.

• 10. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                            raeben3 Level 3

I have Acrobat Pro XI and it rarely if ever crashes (Windows Vista).  I manipulate things in the Reading Order, Content and Tags Panel frequently. So I'm afraid I can't solve this one.  However I would suggest Repair Acrobat Installation whenever there are problems.    The interaction between the reading order panel, contents panel and tags panel is a bit wonky.  Move something in one, and it will often move around in the other.  Sometimes it's not possible to get them all in perfect alignment.  If your Pages are set to "Use Document Structure" the AT should use the Tags Panel.  So when I can't get the Contents and Tags Panels to Match I defer to the Tags panel.

When things disappear check in the Content Panel. Items at the top of the Panel are beneath those lower down--like layers.  You can move things around (shading and borders in tables are what I have the most problem with when running Commonlook and with files saved as PDF from MS Word.) I don't have the opportunity to work in Indesign much. Most of our deliverables come as Word files.

• 11. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                              Accessible InDesign PDFs Level 1

Not sure if anyone else has fully answered this for you, but I was going crazy with all of the crashes in Acrobat when trying to remediate my accessible files. The biggest thing I learned is this: even though your first instinct (like mine) is to click and drag to reorder/move tags, don't do it that way. I found that the best way to move tags or change reading order is by right clicking and cutting and pasting the tag/item. You can do a regular paste, or paste the item as a child, which will nest it in a level under wherever you paste it. I find this has been completely stable for me. Now and then I accidentally delete a tag or paste it into something and it disappears (weird quirks still happen) but for the most part my Acrobat never crashes now when I'm cleaning up my tags. Best accidental discovery I've had in recent history. Let me know if this works for you

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                                pathblaster Level 1

HI Accessible,

Your suggestion works for me. The only issue I have with that is the fact that Adobe creates the interface of Acrobat Pro’s Order panel as though it SHOULD work as a drag-and-drop list.

Thanks for your contribution to finding some solution.

• 13. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                                  Accessible InDesign PDFs Level 1

I totally agree! It's goes against all user instincts, but at least it's a workaround for now. Glad to hear it helped!

• 14. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                                    helpermom

It is now a year later from the posts above and the reading order panel will still cause excessive crashing.  It doesn't seem to matter if you drag and drop or if cut and paste in my case.  I have also found that if you are successful and do manage to move an object without a crash, half of the time the object disappears from the document.  I have 40 accessible forms to create and this ISSUE is causing me to spend more and more hours just restarting from the crash.

• 15. Re: Acrobat Pro XI Crashes with every Accessibility feature
                                      trista_c Level 1

An update: I'm now using one of the latest Creative Cloud version of Acrobat and I seem to be able to drag and drop without crashing, so hopefully this is fixed now.