26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2014 4:47 PM by elainecc

How do I go back to Edge 2?

tbeasley-lifesprings Level 1

After upgrading to Edge 3.0, things have gone steadily downhill. At this point Edge 3.0 won't do anything—every command causes it to freeze and I have to force quit the program. Is there a way to reinstall version 2 so I can get some work done?

• 1. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
          Jared Loftus Adobe Employee

Sorry the experience on 10.6 has been bad for you, while it's not officially supported we do test on this platform to avoid experiences like this one. Can you provide a zip folder of the files that are causing you trouble so I can take a look?

To make sure you are unblocked in the meantime we do offer a version of Edge Animate 2.0.1 that installs into it's own folder and leaves the Edge Animate CC install undisturbed.

To install Legacy EA 2.0.1:

1. Goto https://creative.adobe.com/products/animate and log in.

2. In the dropdown on the left select "Animate CC (2.0)".

3. Click the "Download Animate CC (2.0)" button on the top right.

4. This launches the Creative Cloud app, select "Launch Application" when prompted.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
            elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, tbeasley-

Sorry to hear that EA3 isn't working well for you - I'll be checking in on your other threads in the next couple of minutes to try to troubleshoot what's going on with your system.  You can download the previous version of Edge Animate from the creative.adobe.com site on the Animate landing page there.  If you are a paying member of the Creative Cloud, there is a selection box just underneath the main image on the left hand side which will allow you to select version 2.

-Elaine

• 3. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Hi Jared,

I've attached a zipped file that includes several files that once I saved them, Edge would lock up. I could create a box on the stage without a problem, but if I imported a png file the program immediately locked up.

Right after I upgraded yesterday, I was able to open an older file that I wanted to be able to use in a responsive layout. It opened and I was able to save it and everything is o.k. with it.

The only thing that I can think of that happened a little out of the ordinary today, was when a message popped up ( I think it was when I started Edge) which said something about Edge having access to the internet (I think?). Anyway, I gave permission to whatever it asked for. And now I'm wondering if that's the difference between yesterday and today.

I am working in an office behind a firewall. Not sure if that matters. Everyone has a Creative cloud membership and no other programs accept Muse, which I use, has had any problems like this.

Also, I sent reports everytime I had to force quit the program. Not sure where they go...

Thanks for any help,

Tim Beasley

cid:8072adb1-bfab-453f-b5ba-c100a07b1427@namprd07.prod.outlook.com

Graphic Designer

706.245.7272 ext. 240

P.O. Box 9, 2425 West Main Street

Franklin Springs, GA 30639-0009

www.lifesprings.net<http://www.lifesprings.net

• 4. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Tim,

There's no facility for attaching a zip file in the forum, but you can zip the project folder, upload it to your Creative Cloud files, and then share and provide a link on this thread so we can take a look at your composition.

Thanks,

Joe

• 5. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                  elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, Tim-

I think you nailed it - I think it's likely related to your network/firewall settings. What operating system are you on?

-Elaine

• 6. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Elaine,

I've downloaded and installed version 2 and uninstalled version 3. However, even version 2 is now locking up when I simply import a png image. After I force quit and reopen the png file is there, but something is causing the program to freeze. I've worked with Edge since the beginning and never had a problem like this.

I uploaded some zipped files to my creative suite file section. The link is http://adobe.ly/1hk02dq for some version 3 files and http://adobe.ly/1dwdmah for some version 2 files. The files I've been trying to import are coming off my HD. I took them off our server so that wouldn't be in the equation.

I'm on OS 10.6.8    I know that's getting old, but it hasn't been a problem with earlier versions of Edge. And now that Edge 2 is acting up too, it just doesn't make sense unless whatever I O.K.ed in that dialog box I talked about for version 3 is somehow now affecting version 2 also.

Thanks for the help. Hope some of this strikes an answer,

Tim

• 7. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

AdobeEdgeWarningDialog.png

I saw this on another thread. I'm pretty sure this is the dialog box I approved when I opened Edge this morning. And maybe what started the trouble. However, I looked at my security settings on this computer and the firewall is off. But then again I am behind my companies firewall.

I will be surprised if the IT guys are going to give any permissions to go around our firewall...

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions!

Tim

• 8. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                        resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Surely your IT deparment can allow access for Animate like everyone else and I hope they will. Any app that is updated on the cloud needs access to verify your version info and so, they should really get on with the program!

• 9. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Tim-

Okay, so can you check the following is set?

1. Go to System Preferences > Network
                          2. Select your active network connection (like wifi or ethernet) and then select "Advanced"
                          3. Select the Proxies tab

Do you see anything set there?

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 10. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Well, I was going to send you a screen shot but the "insert image" won't allow it. So, the only thing under the "Proxies" tab that is checked says, "Use Passive FTP mode." Nothing else is checked.

Tim

• 11. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, Tim-

I think this is your problem.  Since you're behind a corporate firewall, you will need the proxy information from your IT department to stick in that location.  You should have both a hostname and a port number.  Once you apply that setting (and assuming your firewall allows access to our servers), your problem should disappear.

Let us know how it turns out!

Cheers,

-Elaine

• 12. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Elaine, even for corporate there is not always a proxi. We used to have one and we changed to none  and some other settings that are not at the computer level for security and I still have not problem with Animate. However at the beginning, my IT people allowed the CC at some level to allow updates and I have had not problem since.

I think he needs to talk to his IT department to allow the cloud updates.

• 13. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Elaine,

Does it make sense that version 2 is giving me problems too? Up until v.3 this wasn't an issue. Why won't v.2 work correctly or did my approval of that dialog box change a setting that is somehow also affecting v.2?

Tim

• 14. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                    elainecc Adobe Employee

Potentially, if they did something like Marie suggested - if they switched from blacklist to whitelist, for instance, you could have been accidentally shut out last night.  I would check with your IT department to see if they changed any firewall settings and if you need to update them.

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 15. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Elaine,

Thanks. I hope you're right. And I hope you're around tomorrow if the IT dept. tells me they didn't touch it.

Tim

• 16. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                        elainecc Adobe Employee

I'll be here tomorrow, but I'm on the West Coast, so expect a little bit of a time delay.

-Elaine

• 17. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Elaine,

Our IT suggested that we block all communication between Edge and the web. Interestingly enough, Edge 3.0 now appears to work beautifully and is no longer freezing everytime I import an asset. Obviously this is not Adobe's preferred solution, so what are we missing? Also, we work in many of the creative suite applications and none of them are having this problem. Why is Edge different?

Tim

• 18. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Any thoughts about why blocking works and what we're screwing up by doing this?

• 19. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, Tim-

Sorry for the brief radio silence.  I'm looking into this issue, but the developer that worked on this feature is out today and so I'll need to touch base with him tomorrow. I can hazard a bunch of guesses, but none of that will help you in the short term.  So hang tight, and I'll get back to you soon!

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 20. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Hi Elaine,

Just wondering if you had any news from the developer?

Thanks,

Tim

• 21. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                                  elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Tim-

Yes, I've been working with him and some of the other users about similar issues.  When you block all traffic to our servers, what happens is that our program recognizes the lack of network and continues on.  However, this prevents you from getting more information on new releases, so you'll need to check manually for the next version of Animate.

-Elaine

• 22. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                                    katemcd90

Hi Elaine,

From what I understand these problems see to be opening the program Edge behind a corporate firewall. I am having another problem with a corporate firewall, it seems to block any page with an edge interactive in it. I am developing a website for a hospital and at the hospital they are not able to see the website, but everything works fine out of my office. I tried to set up a proxy server the last time I was there, but to change those settings required a password and would I have to do that on every computer used?

Thank you for any help!

Kate

• 23. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                                      drsqueegee

Hi Jared,

I'm trying to do this but I do not see any dropdown on the left at the link you provided. Is this still an option? I would love to be able to install 2.0 in a seperate folder, since 3.0 constantly hangs for me.

• 24. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                                        drsqueegee Level 1

nevermind...I had to log in with my paid account.

• 25. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?

Elaine,

Can you explain why all of the other applications that I use through my creative suite account work just fine, but ONLY Edge Annimate has this problem? All my other programs, particularly Muse, (but also PS, Illustrator, etc.,) is able to let me know about updates without having this hangup problem. Can't Edge operate just like them?????

Thanks,

Tim

• 26. Re: How do I go back to Edge 2?
                                                            elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Tim-

The technical answer is complex, but basically it has to do with us implementing things slightly differently than the rest of the products.  We're aware of the issue!

Thanks,

-Elaine