4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 7:57 AM by Curt Y

Can I restore cache files to full res?

holtphotog

I somehow deleted a folder from my system months ago that I now need. I can't find the folder anywhere in my hard drive or backup, but I can find the cache files. Is there anything I can do with those?

• 1. Re: Can I restore cache files to full res?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Are you speaking of Bridge cache?

Seems to me all you have to do is find the menus for setting the cache image size to full-size, then for clearing the cache.  I haven't run Bridge for about 3 years now, so I don't remember exactly where those menus are, but they're there.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Can I restore cache files to full res?
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

If I understand it correctly, if you have Bridge set to store full sized previews in cache, then it stores a JPG the full size of the image.  If you zoom in to '100%/actual pixel size' with the Bridge viewer, then you do indeed see a representation of a full res of any particular image.  But AFAIK you can only access the cache via Bridge.  You can't go in with My Documents, and pull out a single JPG.

This also presupposes that the Bridge cache keeps a copy of deleted documents.  I can just imagine the outcry on sites like this, if it was discovered that Bridge was that sloppy with cache file managment! So I suspect that you are out of luck, in that respect at least.

But you mention a back up, so the files were stored in two locations prior to being deleted?  That doubles the chance of a file recovery program finding them.  I'm guessing that you have tried the Recycle Bin, or whatever Mac systems use?

• 3. Re: Can I restore cache files to full res?
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Wow, I really misread that.  Don't listen to what I said above.  I didn't understand what you had written in the post at first, holtphotog, so I based my response only on the subject.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Can I restore cache files to full res?
                Curt Y Level 7

Cache flies are in hidden directory, address depends on OS, which you did not state.