4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 1:09 PM by Michael Salinero

I can't get the color to change on my text

GaryLeachSWR Level 1

I can't seem to figure out how to change the color on my text. I must have something selected, because inspite of changing the "color" on the text box, I still only get various shades from white to black, even though the preview shows the color. What should I check for the problem?

By the way, thank you to the instructor that kept telling Windows commands as well as the Mac. Im working on a PC so my workspace is a bit different.

Thanks, Gary Leach

• 1. Re: I can't get the color to change on my text
          Michael Salinero Employee Moderator

Hi Gary,

I’m not sure that I’m following exactly where you are having the problem. In this tutorial, if you already have the text in your document, you need to select the text tool and then click next to the text that you want to change and drag to select it. Sometimes it is a little tricky to select the text. Photoshop starts a new text layer.

As an experiment, you can try going to the Layers panel and select the text layer. Then choose a new color. That will change all the text in that layer (both lines) rather than just the top line of text. But then will know if it is a selection issue or a problem picking a new color.

• 2. Re: I can't get the color to change on my text
            GaryLeachSWR Level 1

Michael, Thank you.

I did try that, but either I did it wrong or still not understanding. Also, it seems to be creating new (seemingly empty) layers all itself, as I try change the color. I think I need to factory reset on my copy of Photoshop maybe?

I worked on a 3D tutorial the other day and I'm afraid I have something checked that has become a default for my text. Is that possible? There were lots of layers and merging and all sorts of things I did.

I've atted a jpg to show you my image. LighthouseOriginal3D.jpg

• 3. Re: I can't get the color to change on my text
              GaryLeachSWR Level 1

Here's a screen shot of my desktop. I dont know if this helps or not.

Screenshot (1).png

• 4. Re: I can't get the color to change on my text
                Michael Salinero Employee Moderator

Hi Gary,

I see that you are in 3D land. A whole different ballgame. If you want to edit the 3D text this video may help. It helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkEuYNSJUKk

He doesn’t go into the color change in the video, but I think I figured it out.

To change the color, in the 3D panel find the layer with your text and then under it click on the Front Inflation material, or Front Bevel material, etc. Then in the properties panel you can click the Text color box and choose a new color.

If you did get into some new default state, you can reset your preferences to get back to the standard set. Here is a page that will help with that:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Hope that helps. I learned something here myself, so thanks for the question.