35 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 5:26 PM by A.T. Romano

Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?

Dave0518 Level 1

My project's working fine, and I'd like to add a Motion Tracking effect. When I click on the MT icon, nothing happens. I've tried Auto Analyzing the clip first; no difference.

PreEl 10, Win 8.1, i7 16GB.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Please check out the following YouTube video tutorial specifically on Motion Tracking in Premiere Elements 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prQhrJnEPB8

Do you see anything in the video that you are not doing?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
            Dave0518 Level 1

Nope.  Seems pretty simple, but again, when I select the clip and click on the Motion Track icon, no dialog box appears.

• 3. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

What are the properties of this clip to which you want to apply Motion Tracking?

You say that you are working from Premiere Elements 10. What video card is the computer using...NVIDIA? Have we been down road of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issue?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Are you having any other problems (especially display problems) with Premiere Elements 10.?

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dave,

One quick question, please:

when I select the clip

When you have Selected the Clip, does it change color? The reason that I ask is, depending on where, within a Clip, one clicks, the Clip might not be Selected. Say, if they accidentally clicked on the orange-yellow line, the "rubberband," the Clip would NOT be Selected. I find that I occasionally click on the wrong point in a Clip, thinking that I have Selected it, only to find out, that I have not. If, when you click on the Clip, to Select it, it does change color, then it IS Selected.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                  Dave0518 Level 1

Been down the NVIDIA road. Changed the driver to a one from early 2013 and now things seem to run better...much more reliable and e.g. sampling the Transitions by clicking on them now works.

• 6. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                    Dave0518 Level 1

Selecting the clip ok. It changes color.  Actually the MT icon also occasionally changes color from dull to "lit" when I select.

• 7. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Did the selection of the clip one way or another resolve your issue of Motion Tracking not working in Premiere Elements 10? It did not sound like it did. If problem not solved yet, please read on.

I went to my Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit to road test the feature, looking for possible flaw spots.

To my dismay, although I could get the Motion Tracking Icon at the Timeline level to dull or light up, nothing on screen. Two things got it to work...

a. Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10.0 and, in the 10.0 Folder, I deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. (close Premiere Elements 10 for this deletion)

b. Elements Organizer 10, Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalzyer and unchecked every option under that category (including the AutoAnalzyer ones).

Back in the Premiere Elements 10 Timeline workspace, the clip was selected, the Motion Tracking Icon clicked on to bring up the dialog, did the manual route, and everything worked fine.

Please give that a look and determine if just one of the above or both work for you to solve the problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                        Dave0518 Level 1

Sounded like good, gritty mods to get things going.   BUT: in the 10.0 folder, there is no Prefs file. Similarly, in the Preferences screen, there's no MediaAnalyzer category that I saw.   Note that in my Adobe folder there are folders for Photoshop Elements, Premier Elements, and Premier Elements 10.0. (None of them have Prefs files.)  

• 9. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

All is there. Let us recap

a. Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\10.0 and, in the 10.0 Folder, I deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. (close Premiere Elements 10 for this deletion)

Are you working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so you can see the path. You should see:

Dave1.JPG

As for shutting off the AutoAnalyzer options in the Elements Organizer 10 as per

b. Elements Organizer 10, Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalzyer and unchecked every option under that category (including the AutoAnalzyer ones).

Were you in the Elements Organizer 10 Workspace and not the Premiere Elements workspace? You should have seen this in the Elements Organizer 10

Dave2.JPG

Please let us know the results.

If you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, all is there.

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                            Dave0518 Level 1

My apologies, the AutoAnalyzer stuff is there under the Organizer Preferences.  Turned them all off, but no change in result, still see no dialog box.

As to the Prefs file, I'm a bit at a loss to fix this. I know I found it trying to fix another problem a month ago or so, deleted it, and PreEl must re-install it as then it was back. But now can't find it.  Search can't either.

UPDATE:   Prefs is there under the Premier Elements\10.0 folder; not the Premier Elements 10.0\10.0 folder.  (I was looking for Prefs, not the full filename.)  Anyway I closed PreEl, deleted the Prefs file, and restarted.  But...still no dialog box

Not sure why there's two folders for Premier Elements. A problem?

• 11. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Let us zero in on finding the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

After you troubleshoot Premiere Elements by deleting this settings file, the program will create a new one once you close out of the 10.0 Folder and re-open Premiere Elements project.

Restart the computer.

Windows 8.1 64 bit

In the Metro (apps) Section, type "File Explorer" and click on that choice when it appears.

In the File Explorer, click on the View Tab to bring up this horizontal panel at the far right of which is a tab for Options.

Click on Options, and then on "Change folder and search options".

When you do, the Folder Options dialog should appear. Click on the View Tab in that dialog.

Under the View Tab, scroll down until you find the option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" and make sure that it has a dot next to it.

Close out of there and go back to the Desktop App and Premiere Elements.

Open Premiere Elements and try to follow the path previously described to the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Is it now there?

We will be watching for your results. Make sure that you follow the path given and do not detour to a folder that does not have the exact same name as is the instructions.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I have Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. So, I know the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file is there.

• 12. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                Dave0518 Level 1

Ok.  Our last messages may have crossed in transit.  I did find the Prefs file, again in the OTHER Premier Elements folder (one is Premier Elements, the other is Premier Elements 10.0; bothersome that there's two folders for same application, one with many files, the other with one). Closed PreEl, deleted the file, and did a Restart.    But no change in the Motion Tracking icon-click result on a Selected clip.

• 13. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Sorry the news was not better about the Motion Tracking feature in your Premiere Elements 10 Windows 8.1 64 bit.

We could try the more drastic approach of deleting the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

But before we do that, could you give some details on the clip to which you are trying to apply Motion Tracking - jpg or video or both?

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                    Dave0518 Level 1

Clips are from cam shooting AVCHD.   Show up as .mts files.  There is an additional audio track of music.

• 15. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

If you have other video formats please give them a try. I have not and will not give up on this.

There has to be an answer.

I am going back to my Premiere Elements 10 and see if I can push it to give us an answer that will work for both of us.

More in a few hours or sooner.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                        Dave0518 Level 1

Well.  Motion Tracking dialog appears and works on an old MPEG contained in a .vob, made from a 1999-vintage tape camcorder.

Also works on a clip made from the same 2012 Canon camcorder that produced the clips in the project where it doesn't work. 

• 17. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Great news.

Is it possible to send a sample of the problem video(s) for testing via a Dropbox link?

How much motion is there is the problem clip as compared to the ones that work?

More later.

ATR

• 18. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                            Dave0518 Level 1

Not a whole lot of motion, but even so, I thought you were supposed to have the option of id'ing objects manually.

I can send one of the clips, but not familiar with the Dropbox thing.  I've installed it, set up a shared folder, and put a clip in it. How do I authorize you

• 19. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

I have never used Dropbox from my side.

I found this online article on sharing with Dropbox. Can you make any sense out of it with what you

have there?

https://www.dropbox.com/help/140/en

Hunt will probably have some ideas on the Dropbox sharing. If you do not get it setup for sharing, maybe he will pop in to give us some tips on this.

Thanks.

At least we seem to have this narrowed down to the clips. And, only certain ones from the same camera at that.

More later.

ATR

• 20. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                Dave0518 Level 1

On the Sharing dialog, Dropbox seems to deal with email addresses, which would make sense.  Then you can access the website.  Think I need an address from you

• 21. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Let me contact Hunt by private message about how you go about posting a link here to your Dropbox video clip.

Depending on the results, I will contact you via the private message system here to discuss alternatives.

(See "Your Stuff" at the top of the page)

What is the file size of the sample file that you will be sending?

More later.

ATR

• 22. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                    Dave0518 Level 1

Ok. I can post the link here, but I think you need to be authorized to access my clip.  My guess is it's via email addr

Filesize is 43MB. 

• 23. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Should not be an issue with DropBox. I have seen many links posted on the Adobe Forums, and those were always "public," but if it needs to be "private," then probably it's best to send a PM (Personal Message), or e-mail to the desired recipients, with the passcode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I had hoped that Hunt had more step by step information on creating a Dropbox link to your video.

Here is another how to from Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/167/en

See if that helps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I do not think my gmail email address can handle that size.

We will be watching for your copy/paste of the Dropbox link here.

Are those Dropbox how to links that I posted of any help in getting this done?

I am eager to see this video clip.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave0518

Thanks for posting the link.

It is about 12:45 am where I am, and I am downloading the file now. I will probably look at it tomorrow if it takes much longer to complete the download.

I should be reporting on my observations on the clip in the morning.

I watched 1 of 1 while I am waiting for the download file on my computer hard drive. There does not look like too much movement in that clip, but I will wait for the finished download file and testing before I draw any conclusions.

More later.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 28. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Preliminary report...

Premiere Elements 10 Windows 7 64 bit....no problem tracking the dog with one of the Premiere Elements 10 Clip Arts (Black Cat).

Tomorrow I will move the file to Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and check out the Motion Tracking feature and your video there.

More later in the morning.

Thanks.

ATR

• 30. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                Dave0518 Level 1

Have you tried the clip with Win 8?

• 31. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

I have not finalized all the details. I am double checking and triple checking between Premiere Elements 10 and 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and Premiere Elements 10 and 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

The first rounds revealed the following

a. Your video is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second with Scan Order = Top Field First. The video compression is probably AVCHD, and the file extension is definitely .mts. Based on that information, I am setting all projects to the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

b. When I import your video into Premiere Elements 12 Windows, the Motion Tracking icon above the Timeline immediately "lights up". (There is no colored line over the Timeline content.) With the clip definitely selected, if I now click on the Motion Tracking icon, I get the Motion Tracking dialog to which I click "No". In the Motion Tracking Mode, I click on Add Object to get a bounding box that I position for the Object (dog) in the video. Then I click on Track Object. After the program does that, I get a orange/yellow frame around the select object in the video. When I drag a clip art from Clip Arts into the screen and near the orange/yellow frame, the orange/yellow frame turns blue.

c. When I hit the Enter key to place the keyframes and get the best possible preview, 99.9999% of the time, the clip art tracks the dog in Windows 7 64 bit. But, when I go through the whole business in Windows 8.1 64 bit, everything is the same as in Windows 7 64 bit counterpart, BUT the Clip Art is not tracking the dog.

That is what is taking the time to define.

Three focus points, I am not sure in or out factors

1. First time around in Premiere Elements 10 Windows 8.1 64 bit Motion Tracking,  there were two notifications of Activation processes being done related to Motion Tracking. So, I would ask "Are you working with Internet connection On?"

2. Are you setting the project preset to match the properties of the source file that you are using in the Motion Tracking feature?

3. Motion Tracking feature is in 10 and 12, but never in 11. Supposedly, 12 Motion Tracking is an improvement over 10. So far I have not seen evidence of that here.

Nonetheless, you seem to be stopped by the Track Object after Add Object and placing the clip art, and have not gotten to these end results yet that I am describing where the clip art tracks or does not track the object. Is that correct?

There is not a great amount of motion in the clip and the color contrasts are not pronounced. I have tried different clip art files with different colors. So far, same result.

More later.

ATR

• 32. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                    Dave0518 Level 1

1. First time around in Premiere Elements 10 Windows 8.1 64 bit Motion Tracking,  there were two notifications of Activation processes being done related to Motion Tracking. So, I would ask "Are you working with Internet connection On?"

>>Yep.  Internet always on.  Don't believe I've seen any notice of Activation though

2. Are you setting the project preset to match the properties of the source file that you are using in the Motion Tracking feature?

>>Don't know. (Can't recall how I answered the "Do you want to match..." question when I dragged in the clip.) But I've dragged the same clip into a New Project and gotten the same non-result regardless of whether I answered Yes or No.

Nonetheless, you seem to be stopped by the Track Object after Add Object and placing the clip art, and have not gotten to these end results yet that I am describing where the clip art tracks or does not track the object. Is that correct?

>>I have never gotten any dialog regarding Motion Tracking to appear. Not getting to the Adding/Tracking point.

There is not a great amount of motion in the clip and the color contrasts are not pronounced. I have tried different clip art files with different colors. So far, same result.

I agree, and since the MT function seems to work on other projects, maybe the low light and low contrast are the problem.  At least in Win 8.1

• 33. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

Thanks for the reply with those helpful details.

I do not think this is a project preset issue, but you could do one mini test to "dot the i's and cross the t's" on that. Open a new project and, in the new project dialog, click on change settings. Then set the project preset to NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD 1080p30. Close out of there. Then import the AVCHD.mts clip into the Timeline (same as you sent here via Dropbox or from same camera batch). Determine if this project preset set changed the outcome.

Any chance you could shoot the same scene as in the sent video but use more lighting so that there is more of a contrast between the dog and surrounding and clip art that is tracking the dog?

Even if we get beyond the orange/yellow to blue bounding box, I still need to prove to us that we can get a clip art to track that dog or anything else in Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. And, what I need to mix into all that is a comparison to Motion Tracking in 10 and 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit to figure out what we are up against.

More later.

ATR

• 34. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                        Dave0518 Level 1

Tried this and no change in result.

The options for settings did not include Full HD 1080p30, only Full HD 1080i30.

The shots are at my daughter and son-in-law's home and not near us.  I may try and get some low-light shots here and test.

Thanks for all your diligence on this, take care

• 35. Re: Why don't I see a dialogue box when I click on Motion Tracking?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Dave

That 1080p was a goof on my side. Your video is 1080i and that should have read

NTSC/AVCHD/Full HD 1080i30. Sorry about that. Good that you mentioned that.

We will be interested to learn of the results with Motion Tracking and different lighting conditions which define the contrast in the shot.

ATR