5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 4:43 AM by KingsleyPress

exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes

KingsleyPress

Last week, my catalog exported as expected, with cover thumbnails and text flowing around them.

cat-correct.jpg

This week, there is some new way of doing things, which has the effect that the thumbnail now stands proud from the line it's anchored to:

cat-incorrect.jpg

I can confirm that the book which last week exported correctly, now exports incorrectly in the same way as the one I'm working on now, so plainly the new update has introduced the problem. The question is: how do I set it up to display correctly? The image has an object style tag; I tried creating a blank anchored object and placing the graphic inside that, but that didn't work. In fact I spent half a day trying to find a setting that would work, to no avail.

• 1. Re: exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the Help for for InDesign CC 9.2, there is a section on changes to EPUB from 9.0 to 9.2. In it there is a link to a PDF which describes the changes:

InDesign_EPUB_Changes_CC_9.0_to_9.2.pdf

Look at page 11 in the PDF for changes to anchored objects. You'll probably have to try the three anchoring styles to see which works for you.

• 2. Re: exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes
            KingsleyPress Level 1

Yes, I already tried following that advice. I think the stuff in blue at the top of p. 14 is to the point.

To recap: with Object Style set to inline (above line is not what we want):

cat-incorrect_ID_inline.jpg

The epub displays as follows:

cat-incorrect_inline.jpg

With the Object Style set to Custom (note that the first line of text flows beneath the image):

cat-incorrect_ID_custom.jpg

The resulting epub page looks like this:

cat-incorrect_custom.jpg

• 3. Re: exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There have been a lot of new features in the last few versions of InDesign, particularly CS6 thru CC 9.0 thru CC 9.2.

I'd approach it in a different way. I think you can use a combination of an Anchored Object (not inline) and a Float Left command in Object Export Options.

I can't see where your anchor is. It looks like it's not in the right spot. I find it easiest to anchor a picture by dragging the little blue square at the upper right to exactly the spot I want it to anchor, in this case, before the first character of the paragraph. (You can then save this into an Object Style to use repetitively, if you're using the same arrangement repeatedly.)

You also want the text to "run around" the picture so you can use the Float Left command in Object Export Options to accomplish that. You can also add a little more space by applying Text Wrap. Here are some illustrations of how my recreation looks:

FloatLeft_Anchor.jpg

Note it's not important that the picture actually sit in the text as it would for print. Just put it on the side and drag to anchor (I've turned on View > Extras > Show Text Threads to show the anchoring visually.)

Here's the Float Left command applied to the picture (this can also be saved in an Object Style):

FloatLeft_Anchor2.jpg

You can use the Story Editor to make sure the anchor is in the right spot:

FloatLeft_Anchor3.jpg

Here is the resulting EPUB:

FloatLeft_Anchor4.jpg

• 4. Re: exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes
                KingsleyPress Level 1

Thanks Steve!

Taking the graphic out of the flow of text (i.e. making it an anchored object instead of an inline object) fixed the problem.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!

• 5. Re: exporting graphics to epub -- 9.2 changes
                  KingsleyPress Level 1

One small thing: I got a fright – still not working properly – until I unchecked the Ignore Object Settings option at the bottom of the graphics tab in the export dialog. Also, the method I used was to put the cursor at the insertion point, and then create an anchored object (Object/Anchored Object/Insert). You can set all the variables there, provided that the Object Style has already been created, and then place the image.

Thanks again for the workaround; I hope Adobe will fix this so that it is more intuitive going forward.