4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 9:14 AM by Sean David

Memory settings and Ram preview

Sean David

Hey there. I have two questions. First, when I set my preferences in After Effects to desired Ram reserved for other applications, it always clears it out to 0 when i close After Effects. I have to continually reset the preferences. Second, I constantly have issues not being able to ram preview the full work area- which is only about 10 sec in full of a 1 minute video. It is entirely imported illustrator art without any effects on the art from illustrator or effects set in After Effects. I recently update the RAM to 16gb fro mthe factory 8gb. Also noticed that actual CPU's used is 0. Any help on 1)better ram preview and 2)getting preferences to retain settings after closing and reopening would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2014-01-23 at 11.02.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-23 at 11.02.55 AM.png

• 1. Re: Memory settings and Ram preview
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't given enough details about your system. We don't even know if it's Windows or Mac? And, out of them which OS? Windows 7? 8? Mavericks? Snow Leopard?

We don't know what version of AE you're running. Is it 12.2.0? 12.1.0? 11.0.4? 11.0.3? 10.5.1?

Has this worked before? If so, when did it stop?

Are you in a networked environment? Do you manage your machine or does IT take care of it?

• 2. Re: Memory settings and Ram preview
            Sean David Level 1

Really sorry about that, Szalam. here are the details: Mac OS X 10.8.5. Running After Effects CC with most recent updates. The Ram preview did indeed used to work fine when using After Effects. 3 weeks or so ago I uninstalled After Effects and reinstalled because Media Encoder would not work part of the time either (couldn't import right into Media Encoder from After Effects. That too only works half of the time still). Here in the past 2 weeks or so Ram preview does not preview the full work area most of the time. I did not do anything differently that I can recall. Since having issues, I upgraded Ram to 16 from 8 but still not previewing like it used to. I manage my own machine- not on a network environment.

• 3. Re: Memory settings and Ram preview
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like a messed up install to me. If so, an uninstall, CC Cleaner, and fresh install will likely fix it.

Unless others can chime in with other suggestions, that's what I would probably do.

• 4. Re: Memory settings and Ram preview
                Sean David Level 1

Thank you, Szalam. I will take a look at doing that.