17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 8:33 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.

Bruce Donnellan

Good Morning: I have been trying to get my Elements 11 to acccept MOV from my camera, Iphone 4s, Iphone 5 and Ipad air and it gives me "Cannot open" every time. Anything I can try or is there a patch? Thank you Bruce

• 1. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a couple of questions, please:

1. What OS version are you running PrE 11 on?
          2. Do you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime Player installed?
          3. Do the MOV Clips, from the various iPhones/devices use Variable Frame Rate?
          4. What are the settings of the Project, that you are attempting to Import the MOV files?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
            Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Hello Mr. Hunt;

Windows OS 8.1 64 HP Core I7

latest Quicktime 7.4.4

I don't know about the Variable Frame Rate. The last one was shot on a standard Iphone 5

And I don't know about the settings. It is just a straight import that cannot open

Thank you Bruce

• 3. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

One can run the iPhone AV files through MediaInfo, or G-Spot (both free), to get the details on the files, and to determine if the Frame Rate is Variable.

There have been some noted issues with Variable Frame Rate files from iPhones, or similar. For many, the fix has been to convert the VFR files to CFR (Constant Frame Rate) via Apple's QuickTime Pro (a US $39 upgrade/unlock, that allows one to Export files), then Import those into PrE for editing.

Some users say that they can use VFR iPhone footage perfectly in PrE, but many cannot - same for most users of PrPro - VFR creates issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Thank you Bill, I'll check when I get a chance

• 5. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce Donnellan

Thanks for your follow up information.

Hunt has already asked you about your Premiere Elements 12 project preset on Windows 8.1 64 bit system. I have not seen the response on that. Please include that information when you return to the thread. The setup of the project is important as well as other factors in sorting out the details of the problem. If you do not know, check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and its readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the field are grayed out).

I have seen reports here where the free Handbrake can be also used when problematic cell phone footage is involved.

I have not run into variable frame rate issues when I have worked with iPhone 5 and iPod touch 4th generation footage with variable frame rate.

We will be watching for your details including the properties of your source media.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                    Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Hello Bill; I'm Sorry to say that I have spent way too much time with this Adobe program trying to get it to work (over 10 hours) that I have to say that it is a throw-away. I really have just a basic HP win 8.1  core I7 running nothing special on it . It is a very basic process and this program should really just run just fine on it. But.....I cannot keep spending time with it just to run a very basic MOV program that all I want to do is just to crop the length of the videos. Very Frustrating.

Thank you for your help and advise. I feel that I have tried everything and even reinstalled the programs to no avail. And...I could have a corrupt program right from the factory but there is no way to know. I have tried the online chat lines but they were time consuming and ended up being useless. I'll just post my bad experience online and move on.

Again, thank you for your help.

Bruce D

• 7. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce Donnellan

I saw your last post replying to Hunt. Hunt has been away for the weekend and should be back soon.

If you have decided to go in another direction for your video editing, so be it, and I wish you success in your video editing program choice.

But, if you want to explore getting your specific footage edited with Premiere Elements 11, I would be glad for the opportunity to try to help you with that. To prove or disprove that it can be done, we could use two different approaches

a. You communicate details of the properties of your source media

and/or

b. You could post a link to a sample problem video, and I will try to edit it with Premiere Elements 11 (or any version from 4 to 12). I have Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit. Can test on all. In the case of "b", you would have to not have to use any more time, except for posting the Dropbox link to the sample. I will do the work from that.

I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affliated with it in any way. No relatives there either. Just a Premiere Elements user who has been troubleshooting these programs for years and have a fairly high success rate in doing so.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Bruce,

Sorry to hear the bad news.

For most users, PrE is a very simple program - just install it, keep QuickTime Player, and the computer's video driver updated, and then use it. Obviously, there are a few more "housekeeping chores," such as insuring adequate free-space on the HDD's, and cleaning out any build up of, say Preview, or Media Cache files for old Projects - but that is normally about all that there is.

I wish that I had more to offer.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                          Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Thank you Bill: I've already do all that you mention on a regular basis and have reinstalled the program several times. Honesty this should run just fine on this clean computer. I am starting to believe that I have a bad install from the factory and have no idea how to get a good copy or my money back with out buying another copy and trying it. It just will not run any videos from 5 different cameras.

Again, thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Bruce

• 10. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce Donnellan

My offer still holds as posted in post 7.

But, putting that aside for the moment, if all that is holding you back is another fresh copy of Premiere Elements 11 to work with, how about downloading the tryout from the following web site and inserting your purchased Premiere Elements 11 serial number in it. Many have used that route.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

Just read the instruction carefully under "Note: Very Important Instructions" so that you are not facing Access Denied message if you go directly to the links for the files before reading the note.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                              Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Just for fun, See if these videos open for you in Adobe. They were from two different cameras.  IF they do, then I probably have a bad install disk from the factory. Thanks Bruce

• 12. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Hello A.T.Romano: Thank you very much for the reply. What I did do is install Version 12 trial and it opened the files just fine. I think that I have a corrupt disk for the V11 install. I've been trying to find a download for the Version 11 and use my serial number with it to see if that fixes the problem. But I can't find any version 11 downloads anymore. Do you have any working links for a v11 download?

Thank you for your help.

Bruce

• 13. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

I think that you may have missed it, but I gave you the Premiere Elements 11 tryout download information back in post numbered 10 of this thread.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-11-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

The key to using this source is to read very closely the "Note: Very Important Information" before getting tempted to click on any of the links to the installation files there. Many have fallen into that trap which leads to an "Access Denied" message.

Please check it out and then let us know if that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                    Bruce Donnellan Level 1

Thank you for the link, I did keep getting the "Access Denied" message. I'll give it a try after the rehearsals today.

Again, thank you for your help.

Bruce

• 15. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the update.

It will work, and you will get beyond the Access Denied. Just go by the "Note: Very Important Information" instructions. I have been there and done that. Others have detoured to the Access Denied and succeeded after reflection and going through the beforehand requirements.

ATR

• 16. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                        Bruce Donnellan Level 1

I just want to thank you all for the help. The online install works perfectly. Evendently I had a bad install disk from the factory.

Again, many thanks

Bruce

Sent from my iPhone

• 17. Re: Adobe Premier elements 11 not playing any MOV files.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bruce

Thanks for the update with the great news.

We were glad for the opportunity to offer assistance in the matter.

If you have not already and ever need to, we could explore different ways to try to install from the disc. But, right now, the important thing is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Continued success.

ATR