5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 11:36 AM by lapneto

Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf

lapneto Level 1

Hey guys,

Need help again - I was able to import a txt file using the code below:

var ofile = util.readFileIntoStream();

var myfile = util.stringFromStream(ofile);

Now i have to perform a search within this file so, I use am using the following code:

var pattern = new RegExp("27"+abc,"\g"); //establish the pattern I need, abc is another variable established earlier in the code
      myfile.search(pattern); //search myfile for the pattern above
      myfile.match(pattern); //find matching results of the pattern above
      var count = myfile.match(pattern).length; //create a variable with number of matches found

if(count>0)

{
      app.alert("Matches found: "+count) //display in an alert the number of matches
      }

However, now I need to know exactly the position (indexOf) of each of the matches I found in myfile, as I need to extract some characters after the match to input in a specific field of my form.

I guess I need to establish some sort of array and some sort of loop to the next match, therefore could anyone poing me in the right direction?

I am not even sure I am following the right path here, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

• 1. Re: Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

After you have your matches you can use the "indexOf" method to get their locations, I believe. If there are multiple matches you'll also need to specify the second parameter of this method, to specify from where to start looking...

• 2. Re: Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf
            lapneto Level 1

Hi Gilad D, thanks for the usual help.

Could you please provide me with a little more information or more hints?

I am trying to use the indexOf method, but my matches will indeed be multiple.

To be honest, I need to get 35 characters following each match and paste it somewhere else, but I am having no luck with the indexOf use...

Many thanks for your usual help.

• 3. Re: Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've written a piece of code that does it with pure text. You can probably adjust it to use the results of your RegExp match:

var text = "Hello, what's your name? my name is Gilad."

var searchTerm = "name";

var contextLength = 5;

var matchesCounter = 0;

var startIndex = 0;

var matchIndex = text.indexOf(searchTerm,startIndex);

while (matchIndex!=-1) {

matchesCounter++;

var context = text.substring(matchIndex-contextLength,matchIndex+searchTerm.length+contextLength);

console.println("MATCH " + matchesCounter + " (" + matchIndex + "): " + context);

startIndex = matchIndex+searchTerm.length;

matchIndex = text.indexOf(searchTerm,startIndex);

}

The results of running this code are:

MATCH 1 (19): your name? my

MATCH 2 (28): ? my name is G

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf
                lapneto Level 1

Hi Gilad,

Thank you so much for your help, adjusting the code above gave me the results I needed!

Now it will just be a matter of writing the rest of the code (not that it will be easy, but I guess I am on my way!)

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Help with search results - Arrays and indexOf
                  lapneto Level 1

Hi Gilad,

Suppose i need  to write each of the results to a field (e.g. myField_1, myField_2 etc...).

What sort of code would I need to create? I mean, I am no pro and all the code I used was based on the help I get here...

Would I need to make it access the field name and increase the end of the field name? (e.g. myField_#+1? Not sure at all)

Many thanks again!