5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 10:26 AM by Mylenium

Particle World particles misbehaving

Tim Boknecht Level 1

I'm flying a 3D camera around a comp with a particle world layer that's just not behaving itself very well.  I'm hoping one of you might be able to help me bring it into line. 

There are points where the particles will suddenly "jump", instantly moving drastically - sometimes for a single key frame, some times assuming a new position altogether and remaining there.  I've noticed the single frame jumps coincide with camera keyframes, whereas the permanent jumps don't coincide with any other changes in the comp at all.

Another perplexing problem - on my final camera move the particles don't move at all!

Any ideas on how I can make these particles just do what they're supposed to?

• 1. Re: Particle World particles misbehaving
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Screenshots of your timelien and the comp. Really! One known issue is that its particles flip when the camera gets too close since the plug-in tries to play it dirty and doesn't calculate a stable world orientation for the sprites, but that may not even be your issue. Only more details can help find the cause.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Particle World particles misbehaving
            Tim Boknecht Level 1

Particle problems at the following time codes:

6:00

7:08

9:04

9:05

9:12

Then, notice the particles don't participate in the final camera move at 11:00.

Here's a screen shot of the project with all the keyframes on the timeline and the particle world effects panel on the right.

Particle-World-probs-project-screen-shot.jpg

• 3. Re: Particle World particles misbehaving
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's kind of hard to tell from your screenshot because we cant see the frames where the jump happens but I expect  that it is because your comp camera is not moving exactly around the comp  center. The comp world center is where Particle World lives so If you are off things can jump around. Try carefully checking all changed values on the frame before and the frame after to see what is shifting.

• 4. Re: Particle World particles misbehaving
                Tim Boknecht Level 1

Let me see if I understand you correctly, Rick.  So what you're saying is the camera has to remain at 0.00 in Z space for the particle world 3D to work properly?  I can rotate the camera but not move it from that spot?

• 5. Re: Particle World particles misbehaving
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Particle world coordinates are relative percentages to the comp, not absolute pixels. This could pose problems in some situations. Also your collapsed transformations and the resulting camera moves may have something to do with it as may your use of motion blur and the keyframing of the camera. It's most definitely a combination of these things, not a single problem that can be fixed by flipping a switch in the effect itself.

Mylenium