15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 4:10 PM by tube_guy

Application Error

tube_guy

In Elements 12 when I add media I get a popup with the error message

The instruction at "0x2e084f4e" referenced memory at "0x7fe45168". The memory could not be "read".

The exact codes in the quotes are different every time I ge the error. I have posted a screenshot of the error here: http://i.imgur.com/9J8ZALk.png

What I have already tried:

1. Reinstall program
      2. Run a checkdisk, found no errors
      3. defrag/optimize with auslogics
      4. Uninstall and reinstall using freshly downloaded version
      5. Fresh install of XP SP3

It happens with any file I try to load. I previously used the program on another machine with the same set of files, but had to sign out of it and put it on mine. Current machine is HP DC5100SFF, 3.6gig cpu, 2.5gig ram, onboard video.

I suspect that I have some bad ram but I don't have problems with any other programs such as my old versions of Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Audition.

Thanls for any help!

Joe

• 1. Re: Application Error
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Joe,

Your computer RAM is too low (2.5 GB...is that installed or available) and Premiere Elements 12 is only a 32 bit application running in that Windows XP SP3 32 bit computer. So, possible resource problems glare out.

What are the properties of the source media that you are importing into Premiere Elements 12? The screenshot that you show suggests that you were working with .avi files? What kind of .avi files? I know that you say the problem exists with any file. But, we need to know the properties details of these any files.

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

In view of your video properties, what are you or the project setting as the project preset?

Have you optimized your computer with a free program such as ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Application Error
            tube_guy Level 1

Thank you for the reply.

Here is what I find with AVIcodec, I'm new to this stuff and AVIcodec is what I found to get AVI properties. I'm sure I am ignorant of the proper way to find those details, I apologize for my noobosity.

File  :  4.76 GB (1.98 GB),  duration: 4:03:32,  type: AVI,  1 audio stream(s),  quality: 97 %

Video :  3.37 GB,  1984 Kbps,  29.970 fps,  720*480 (4:3),  MP43 = MS MPEG4 V3,    Unsupported

Audio :  2.61 GB,  1536 Kbps,  48000 Hz,  2 channels,  0x1 = PCM,  CBR, ,   Supported

I am using VirtualDub to capture old VHS tapes and the output file is an AVI. All I've been doing with elements is fades and cuts to clean up the transfers and I was doing great until I tried it on XP.

For what it's worth I had no problems with the Win7 version of elements on this same machine. 2.5gig is installed memory but I never got close to using all of it.

I have run CCleaner including registry cleaning.

I don't know what you mean by project preset. (Sorry) This only happens when importing a file, I never get to where I can do any editing or rendering.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Application Error
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

IF that mpeg4 in an avi wrapper is h.264 it will not work http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115

• 5. Re: Application Error
                A.T. Romano Level 7

tube_guy

It looks like your .avi is

720 x 480 (4:3)

with a video compression = Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec, Version 3

Could you have selected other than that video compression, something like DV AVI? What formats were available to you?

Before we go further, I would like to rule in or out the project settings as factor in this. In Premiere Elements 12, the program takes over setting the project preset. Sometimes it does it OK, sometimes not so OK. So, let us set it manually and then gauge the impact on the problem presented...

Open a new project to the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset for NTSC/DV Standard.

Before exiting the final dialog in that area, make sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". When you are back in the Expert workspace, bring you video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline.

Let us see what happens.

If that does not prove worthwhile, then download and install the free gspot utility so that we can take a closer look at the video compression - Codec, Name, and especially Status.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We will decide what next based on your results and other follow up details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Application Error
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

tube_guy

I did not see your post 4 nor John T. Smith's post 3 until after I had posted mine.

Thanks for the gspot readout that John and I both requested. It confirmed that Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec that I thought that you had based on your post 2.

The problem is most likely related to the video compression and the other atypical properties of that video, that is, 720 x 480 with a display aspect ratio of 3:2 and a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0.

Did you have any choice to produce DV AVI (Type 2) 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second with pixel aspect ratio = 0.9091?

Try the project preset check as described previously to see if that has any impact on the situation.

If you have no alternative in producing this file, then we may be forced to think about ways to convert it into a format that is compatible with Premiere Elements.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Application Error
                    tube_guy Level 1

OK I just got this when starting elements: http://i.imgur.com/L3xtJRV.png

This has got to be related to XP or my old hardware. I'm going back again to Win7, if I have the same problems then it's time for a new computer.

• 8. Re: Application Error

>free gspot utility

Yes... what he did in response to my 1:38 suggestion, with reply... which does not show H.264 inside AVI, so hopefully what you just wrote will help

• 9. Re: Application Error
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

tube_guy

What is the situation with your computer. Earlier you wrote

For what it's worth I had no problems with the Win7 version of elements on this same machine. 2.5gig is installed memory but I never got close to using all of it.

Are you just changing the operating system on the same computer box? And if your Windows XP SP3 is 32 bit system, what is Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Application Error
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Thanks.

I do not have any experience with the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec Version 3.avi and Premiere Elements (any version). But right now it is a prime candidate. But, the atypical properties of the file are of concerns, but I am guessing that those atypical properties (combo frame size, display aspect ratio, and pixel aspect ratio) would not by themselves trigger that type of error message.

Let us see.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 11. Re: Application Error
                            tube_guy Level 1

Yes changing OS on the same machine. Doing it right now in fact, responding from my linux box. Both Windows versions are 32 bit running on Intel 3.6gig P4 HT 661 SL96H.

• 12. Re: Application Error
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

tube_guy

Thanks for the update.

Once you are finished with that phase of the troubleshooting, we can evaluate what we have and then decide what next.

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: Application Error
                                tube_guy Level 1

OK I did a fresh install of Win7, downloaded a fresh copy of 32bit elements (I see now that there are not Win7 and XP versions but 32 and 64 bit versions, but I was using the 32bit one all along) and I have loaded the file in question and begun edits. Seems XP on my hardware did not play nice with elements 12. Thanks all for taking time with me.

I really need to get a new computer and sign up for the creative cloud, I don't want to jump through hoops like this anymore.

FWIW I'm have 1.7gig of ram in use out of 2.5gig total with elements chugging along. I can see where a bit more headroom would be nice but so far so good.

My project is copying 140 American Sign Language-related VHS tapes for future use in training situations so you helped out in a big way from where I'm sitting.

Thanks again.

• 14. Re: Application Error

>need to get a new computer and sign up for the creative cloud

A new 64bit computer will allow you to install the 64bit version of Premiere Elements 12 so you can use a LOT more memory

Do be aware that the Creative Cloud has Premiere Pro, not Premiere Elements... and if you stop paying the monthly fee, the software stops working

PC I built for my wife http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM would do very well for Premiere Elements, plus scroll down a page or two for 3 price/performance level computers for Premiere Pro... these are, of course, MY ideas about what to build, if I was building a new computer for myself... YOUR ideas may wind up being different

• 15. Re: Application Error
                                    tube_guy Level 1

Thanks John, I have a parts list I am still working on: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2kHAC At this point I wouldn't know what to do with Premier Pro but I would like to get with the program on Photoshop and Dreamweaver, I'm pretty far behind with  CS2 and  CS3.  Oh and did I mention my big 'ol Trinitron monitor? With the XP drivers I could use my Huey calibrator but I'll just have to muddle along until I get modernized.