2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 4:59 PM by John T Smith

Setting Up SSD Solid State Drive for Cache...Help!

foxxpix Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to configure my system to do really heavy special effects using After Effects and other programs.  I bought a new computer with specs below and a Solid State Drive for the cache as recommended in the White Papers.  I plug the SSD into a port on top of the machine.  I must have it configured wrong because I keep getting the message "disk cache folder cannot be the root of a volume."  I don't know how to configure this correctly so my work will use the SSD properly.  Can someone walk me through this?  Nicole  The SSD is a Seagate SSHD 1TB hybrid drive that is supposed to boot and perform like an SSD.  The motherboard is an Asus X79 and the processor is an i7 4820k (Ivy Bridge E) Thanks!

Processor BrandIntel®
      ProcessorIntel® 4th Generation Core™ i7(Also known as the CPU). The part of the computer that interprets and executes instructions. Think of it as the brain of the computer.
      Processor Speed3.7GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)How fast a computer processor carries out instructions. In general, faster is better, but processor speeds across brands may not be equivalent (i.e., a 3.0GHz AMD processor may not be the same speed as a 3.0GHz Intel processor).
      Cache Memory10MB on die Level 3A small segment of memory that stores frequently used information for fast access by the processor, improving response time.
      System Memory (RAM)16GBThe memory a computer uses to run its operating system, applications and active data files. Greater amounts of RAM improve speed and enable more applications to run at once.
      System Memory (RAM) Expandable To128GBMaximum amount of memory a computer can support (as opposed to the amount that comes preinstalled).
      Type of Memory (RAM)DDR3 SDRAM
      GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Type of graphics (video) adapter (usually built into the motherboard), identified by manufacturer and model.
      Video Memory2GB (dedicated)Manages display functions, including screen refresh rates, resolution and color. The more video memory a computer has, the better graphics and video will look.
      AudioHigh-definition 7.1-channel surround sound
      SpeakersNone
      Network CardBuilt-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LANAllows a computer to connect to a network either by using cables (Ethernet) or wireless technology (IEEE 802.11).
      Wireless NetworkingNone
      Recordable DVD DriveYes, double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RWDrive that can read CDs and DVDs, as well as write and rewrite CDs and various types of DVDs.
      Recordable DVD Drive SpeedsDrive speeds not specifiedMaximum write (DVD±R), rewrite (DVD±RW) and read (DVD-ROM) speeds of the DVD±RW drive.
      Direct-Disc LabelingNo
      Digital Media Reader or SlotsNo
      Available Expansion BaysExternal: 6 (5.25"); Internal: 2 (3.5")
      Available Expansion Slots4 PCI Express x16, 1 PCI Express x1, 4 DIMMFor digital cameras and digital audio players: Slots that allow the addition of a removable memory card, such as Secure Digital or CompactFlash, to increase storage capacity.

For computers: Slots on the motherboard that accept sound cards, video cards, memory and other upgrade cards.

USB 2.0 Ports3 USB 3.0 (1 front, 2 rear); 8 USB 2.0 (2 front, 6 rear)Ports that allow high-speed (up to 480 Mbps) data transfer between compatible devices.
      Keyboard DescriptionUSBIndicates design, functionality or connection features. Some keyboards offer special buttons for gaming or multimedia use, while other keyboards include features such as illumination or wireless connectivity.
      Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.)USB mouse
      Operating System PlatformWindows
      Operating SystemWindows 8The master software that controls hardware functions and provides a platform on top of which any software applications will run. Commonly used systems include Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X for computers and Palm OS and Microsoft Windows Mobile for PDAs.
      ENERGY STAR CertifiedNoENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
      Best Buy PC AppNo
      HDMI OutputYes
      Blu-ray PlayerNo
      Graphics ChipNVIDIA
      Drive Capacity2TB
      Discrete GraphicsYes
      Gaming SeriesYes
      Hard Drive Size2TBCapacity for storing programs, photos, video, music and other electronic information. Hard drive capacities range from a few gigabytes to several hundred.
      Hard Drive TypeSATA III (7200 rpm)Hard drives are classified based on the interface they use to connect to a computer. Common interfaces for internal hard drives include EIDE, PATA (also known as, ATA and IDE), SATA and SCSI. Common interfaces for external hard drives include USB 2.0, FireWire and eSATA.
      UPC892167017218