6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 5:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Codec problem

azslf

When going to play a movie, it says, "the selected file cannot be played becsue your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec) installed"  I ahve quicktime installed.  the files are "..._ts.vob" files.  Help!

• 1. Re: Codec problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

azslf

Where are these files coming from....ripping VOBs from a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or other?

If you are ripping VOBs (video files) from the DVD, perhaps you are using the wrong files. The video files can be found in files with name such as VTS_01_1.VOB.

Let us start at the beginning.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What have you or the project set as the project preset to match the properties of your source media?

How are you importing the "_ts.VOB" into your Premiere Elements project...Add or Get Media/then what?

What are the properties of your source media, where are the coming from brand/model/settings of camera.

Just where are you playing a movie, within Premiere Elements editing area/previewing or trying to watch a movie on a computer player?

Would you be in Windows 8.1 64 bit which does not support MPEG2 playback?

The answers will be in the details, so looking forward to the details for us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Codec problem
            azslf Level 1

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

I had some old family movies made on a mini-vhs movie camera and then had

the tapes converted to DVDs.  You pop the DVD in a DVD player and it

plays.  I wanted to edit them, so I bought Premiere Elements 12 (PE12).

It's running on Windows 8.  I have the latest Quicktime installed.

I copied the files from each DVD onto my hard drive to import into PE12.

Each DVD has several files.  There is a VTS_01_1 file (some DVDs have more

than one of these files, with the end number then being 2, 3, etc.) which

is the largest (by far) and there is a Video_TS file, both of which have a

little film icon by them and both of which are labeled as a "VOB" file type.

Then, in PE12, I went to "Import" and then "From files and folders"    I

highlight the folder and say "get media" and the file type is shown as

"media files".  The files are then imported into "my folders" and the files

mentioned show up.  When I go to play them, some are sound only -- no

video.  Others say the message I mentioned before that no

"compressor/decompressor (codec)" is found.  I try to play them by just

clicking on the file icon which shows up after I import -- I'm in

the "Media" tab on top and I see the files in the main work area of the

screen which are the files in the folder shown on the navigation bar on the

left in My Folders.

I don't know what you mean about "matching the properties of the

preset media".  I looked for a settings place where I could adjust things,

but couldn't where media type is mentioned.  I assumed PE12 would

automatically use Quicktime to play the video files.

I hope these details get us started figuring this out.

Thanks again,

Sam

• 3. Re: Codec problem
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>don't know what you mean

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has links near the top about setting up your project... 4th and 5th links

• 4. Re: Codec problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

azslf

Lots to go over. I will give you the bottom lines and then go into details..I suspect

a. You are not using the correct files from the DVD disc

b. Your project is not set up correctly with regard to project settings

Your reply with more details will help sort this out.

My Details Customized To The Situation That You Describe....

Part 1. Introduction

Your focus should be on the VIDEO_TS Folder on the DVD disc. And, specifically only the VIDEO_TS Folder's files named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB, VTS_03_1.VOB, etc. Nothing else.

There are several ways to transfer these specific files into a Premiere Elements 12 Windows project.

Typical transfer issues could be related to video and audio quality, but more often to out of sync audio.

1. As you did, you could copy/paste them to the computer hard drive and import them into 12 Expert workspace with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and from there drag them to the Timeline.

2. The preferred way is to insert the DVD disc into the DVD burner tray, open Premiere Elements 12 (with the correct project preset set beforehand), and use Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer.

3. If problems with out of sync audio, then the use of the computer Command Prompt to get these files into one file containing the seamless merged files) has been the answer for many in this situation. When you do that, instead of importing individual VOBs into a project with Add Media/Files and Folder/Project Assets instead you bring in one file DVD.VOB. See

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe-dvd-videoseamless-vob-ripping.html

Typically "2" works well and you do not have to bother with "1" or "3".

Part 2. Suggested Workflow

Another important matter is setting up the project so that the project settings match the properties of your source files. Premiere Elements 12 is setup to take control over doing that job. Sometimes it does it OK, and sometimes not OK. When not OK, then you set the project preset (the project settings) manually.

To do that, open Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, File Menu/New/Project and change the project preset to NTSC DV Standard. Before you close out of the final dialog there, make sure you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on This Project".

Here I have assumed that your DVD represent NTSC DV Standard 4:3 and not NTSC DV Widescreen and that you are in a NTSC rather than a PAL setup.

Make sure you have your first DVD in the DVD burner tray, in the Expert workspace, Add Media/"DVD Camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer. Select only the files with names VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_01.VOB, VTS_03_1.VOB as it applies to you. Use the file size as an indicator of what you have plus your previewing opportunities in the Video Importer.

For this first try, leave the Video Importer's Save In: with the default Videos location. And there have a check mark next to "Add to Timeline". There are additional important details on how to deal with the additional DVD discs that you may have. I will go over that detail which will involved the Save In so that do not run into Already Imported Errors.

We can go over each phase of the process at whatever pace you want to go at. But, I need your specific details to do that.

We will be watching for your results. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Codec problem
                  azslf Level 1

I think I have done what you outlined, but an interesting thing just

happened.

When I first installed the product I set up an Adobe account and verified

it and then installed the program.

Just a moment ago I again opened up the editor and it said I had to

register the software, which I thought I had done already.  I then went

through the steps to register it.  Now, all of a sudden, everything works

fine.  For some reason, without registering I could not open the movie

files, but now I can.

I think I am good to go, unless you have anything else.

Thanks so much for helping me.

• 6. Re: Codec problem
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

azslf

Typically, after you install Premiere Elements 12, you are asked to restart the computer. After the computer is restarted, you should be greeted by a Sign In dialog. You have to SIgn In there with your Adobe ID and password whether it seems a duplication to you or not. Once that is done successfully, it should be smooth going. That particular Sign In let you continue in the program and also registers the product for you.

But from what you wrote initially

When going to play a movie, it says, "the selected file cannot be played becsue your system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec) installed"  I ahve quicktime installed.  the files are "..._ts.vob" files.

I am not sure how that ties in with what you originally were facing. But we are thankful for the great turn of events.

Just be careful not to fall into the Video Importer trap when you go to DVD discs and beyond and get the error message, "Files already imported" or something like that. Each DVD disc has video files with the same name as the other discs. So, the program thinks you are trying to add the same files as are on the first disc when you are trying to import the files from subsequent discs.

One remedy is to set up Documents/Videos with folders for each DVD and set the Video Importer Save In to the appropriate folder for the DVD being used.

We are very pleased with your success. Good work.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I am not sure if you need the following at this point, but I will post it just in case.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/12/pe12-adobe-idpassword-requirement-for.html

This relates to the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 required Sign In after installation, computer restart.